One Mann's Journey for EPIC tones!

X-Mann

Experienced
Hey guys!

I'm waiting for the AX8 to arrive & have become slightly obsessed w/ Fractal Audio. I'm late to the party here (as usual) based on a preconceived notion that a) I didn't need the Axe-Fx or b) that it would be way too hard for a simpleton like me to ever figure it out! :(

But like usual, I was WRONG! :rolleyes:

I just bought the Axe Fx II XL+ so I could hear & actually FEEL what everybody has been talking about for years & years now. It arrived last night at 4pm & right before my Zaza Skype lesson.

I was BLOWN AWAY after the 1st few minutes playing through the factory rigs in true stereo through my dual Friedman ASM-12 FRFR set-up!!!!

Like most real men, I didn't read the manual at all & just started playing & pressing buttons. :eek:

I recorded the 1st Axe Fx (Single Amp/cab) rig that I created after 45-minutes of messing around & trying to turn ON the delay effect. :D

Friedman BE X

I did this clip in the same style & tone as one of my Helix examples too.

The feel & sound in the room is 10x better, BIGGER & more awesomer!!!! It really is & I'm not joking at all here.

The thing that shocks me the most is just how FAST I got here! Right out of the gate the raw amp tones & FX are just there in spades & you can feel/hear the quality!!!!

I did a single amp/cab w/ minimal FX just to get an idea of what I'll get in the AX8.

I'm putting together more tones, samples & a fun video to share this tonal journey that started yesterday.

The Axe Fx II is worth every penny & I really should have purchased this around 5-years ago, but again, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. :p

Peace! X

PS - The AX8 is worth the wait people, just hold on & your tonal nirvana is right around the corner.:cool:

Please understand that things (aka tones) will only get better from this 1st starting point.

I didn't switch the cab or even try out my favorite Own Hammer Bogner 4x12 IR.

In fact, I did all the editing on the front of the Axe w/ no problems at all. I will try the computer editor next.

I spent 21-days trying to dial in a tone on a different product & never really got there in the end.

Each product has its merrit & target user base.....aka we all fall in love w/ whatever works best for us.

There's a lot of mis-information about Fractal products in my eyes, w/ the biggest one being how complicated it is to use.

I'll put in my time here & actually read the manual too! Then I can only imagine what happens next for me tone wise.

Lots of guys have been reaching out behind the scenes w/ tips, presets & cool comments.....& for that I say "Thank you" all very much!!!!

I think there's also a huge misconception about the kindness & quality of a Fractal user too.

What a great place to hang out & learn from along my journey.

Peace! Tim

Lol.....Way cool WG! :cool:

I'll check out another amp when I get home & post up a clip tonight.

I'm going to check out the Vintage Recto, Splawn & Bogner amps & see what I can get really fast w/ them.

X

And he is in! Congrats dude, so nice to hear your clip, hear your opinion on dem feels and see the unit in the X-cave! You did it! You will only GAS over guitars from here on in!

I think this steep learning curve thing comes from the fact that there are endless menus to delve into things most of us are never going to even think about, purely for the real tweakers. But hey, if people are gna complain and be put off then it just saves the good stuff for the real men haha (and women, i know there are a few)

Its nice to hear an honest opinion from someone who has gone through all the othe units already lol.

Peace bro! Hope you dont get carpal tunnel :p

And I wouldn't worry about it; if you got the Axe fx II five years ago, you would have had to upgrade to the XL version! You have gained a valuble opinion on the range of modelers available, which is more than can be said about most folk who patrol the gear forums.

I'm expecting less and less posts from you now due to the 'time-machine effect' the Axe fx has hahaha

X-Mann: Congratulations on getting the Axe Fx II XL+ !! That's outstanding! :D I'm sure between that and the Friedman's you'll be in tonal heaven for some time to come. I wish I was in a position to do that too, but I think the AX8 will suffice for my needs for now. :cool:

Congrats X!

I'm also in the same boat as I just got an Axe-Fx II mk I and MFC while waiting for the Ax8. Of course, now I'm already trying to figure out what I will need to make it portable as I would like to use it at band practice this weekend.... Are you considering making the Axe-fx a performance rig or would you keep it in studioX only?

And he is in! Congrats dude, so nice to hear your clip, hear your opinion on dem feels and see the unit in the X-cave! You did it! You will only GAS over guitars from here on in!

Peace bro! Hope you dont get carpal tunnel :p

LMFAO son!!!! :p

I don't & won't get guitar gas anymore as I went on that quest a few years ago & concured it completely! :eek:

I thought I sounded good in cheapo $600 guitars & played a series of Samick Blues Saraceno Tv Twenty guitars. I played these guitars out for 3 or 4 years & most only cost me around $350 or so.

Neil Zaza's move to Carvin Guitars MADE me try out my 1st expensive ($2k) guitar. 1 eventually became 3 & while I may look like an uber whore here.....I am 100% done buying guitars (my fingers are crossed in case something happens down the road & this get thrown in my face).

I didn't know just how important the neck shape & radius are to my playing & over-all feel & sound.

Here's the collection & the flamed teal CT624 is what you guys are hearing on that 1st clip too.

Gold Top-X is my Justin Derrico w/ a touch of Zaza/meets X-Mann Super Single cut.....& well.....it just ROCKS!!! \m/

Call Carvin today, ask for Chris Hong & tell em "X" sent ya! :D

You can thank me later too! :eek::p

X

X-Mann: Your tones sound awesome. Your experience mirrors mine when I borrowed a friend's Axe-Fx II a few weeks ago. Nice Carvins...I bought my first CT four years ago and have been hooked ever since.

Badass clip man. You experience mirrors mine; I was shocked at how fast I was able to grab great tones almost immediately, especially after messing around for hours with 'other' modelers and having to work for what I wanted.

It's an amazing tool and makes life so much easier.

LMFAO son!!!! :p

I don't & won't get guitar gas anymore as I went on that quest a few years ago & concured it completely! :eek:

I thought I sounded good in cheapo $600 guitars & played a series of Samick Blues Saraceno Tv Twenty guitars. I played these guitars out for 3 or 4 years & most only cost me around $350 or so.

Neil Zaza's move to Carvin Guitars MADE me try out my 1st expensive ($2k) guitar. 1 eventually became 3 & while I may look like an uber whore here.....I am 100% done buying guitars (my fingers are crossed in case something happens down the road & this get thrown in my face).

I didn't know just how important the neck shape & radius are to my playing & over-all feel & sound.

Here's the collection & the flamed teal CT624 is what you guys are hearing on that 1st clip too.

Gold Top-X is my Justin Derrico w/ a touch of Zaza/meets X-Mann Super Single cut.....& well.....it just ROCKS!!! \m/

Call Carvin today, ask for Chris Hong & tell em "X" sent ya! :D

You can thank me later too! :eek::p

X
Ooooffftt

X your guitars are beautiful!

Its funny really, the only guitars I GAS for are Carvins these days, no word of a lie! They are so great and diverse! Never played on in my life though lol.

I don't know why but the only guitars I really get along with neck profile and bridgewise are Gibson and Epi Les Pauls. I bought a Jackson DKA7 with a hipshot style bridge and 26.5" scale for a project me and a friend are doing, although its a great riff machine, im not feeling it in the shred department, and when I come back to my ol trusty LPs I'm ripping it up! My hands are pretty small though so that might have something to do with it, I do prefer a fatter rounder neck as it feels less of a strain on my thumb which plays up a lot on an Ibanez wizard style profile.

I'm guessing Carvin have this option to have a guitar that feels like my LPs but looks like something else? They are such a value for money, I'd be insane to miss out and buy something else when the time is right

Welcome. Some folks don't get it but I'm glad you now understand :). Fractal totally stopped my GAS for amps and pedals and freed up my budget to focus on guitars :).

Back
Top Bottom