One Expression Pedal: Wah in Scene 1, Vol in Scene 2?

Snouttrout

Inspired
I'm currently using one expression pedal that is set to auto-engage when I back off the toe position. In other words, it's bypassed until I back off the toe position and then the wah kicks in.

I'd like to do the following with the auto-engage set-up as I have above.

Scene 1: volume but no wah
Scene 2: wah but no volume

I'm sure there must be a post somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone help? Can you use channels somehow?

I think the way to do it is to have your wah and volume in parallel and switch between them with the multiplexer. Both set to auto-engage using the expression pedal.

So, channel 1 of multiplexer would be looking at row 1, which has the volume block. Channel 2 of the multiplexer would be looking at row 2, which has the wah block.

I saw a post here about it but I can't find it now...

In the modifier settings you can make the modifier apply to just one block channel. Set to some other channel and bypass in other scenes, and it won't engage in those scenes. Auto-engage isn't really needed or useful for the volume block so you can just bypass it in the wah scenes.

A multiplexer would allow using more than one wah channel. Switch between wah and a shunt row (or volume block if controlling volume at same point in signal chain).

Last edited:
I would put them in series, assign the modifier to different channels and use the distinct channels in the scenes.

I think the way to do it is to have your wah and volume in parallel and switch between them with the multiplexer. Both set to auto-engage using the expression pedal.

So, channel 1 of multiplexer would be looking at row 1, which has the volume block. Channel 2 of the multiplexer would be looking at row 2, which has the wah block.

I saw a post here about it but I can't find it now...

I am basically doing it that way, but I would not set it up with the Wah and Volume block in parallel because I want the Wah before the amp and the volume control after the amp. I don't want the volume block to change the gain of the amp which it will do if its before the amp block.

I put the Wah in parallel with a shunt and use the MultiPlexer block after the Wha to toggle between the Wha and Shunt rows with a control switch. The same control switch is also used to turn on/off bypass for the Volume block. See this thread, which is not specifically for Vol/Wha block but the concepts discussed here apply.

Doing it this way I can switch between Wah and Volume on the fly without changing scenes.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...mp-and-cab-channel-w-out-using-scenes.161103/

Thanks for your suggestions. I figured out a way to do it, but I’m sure there must be a simpler way.

Attachments

• D36427AF-3A4A-4522-8011-A49BCFE853F0.jpeg
    D36427AF-3A4A-4522-8011-A49BCFE853F0.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 63
In the modifier settings you can make the modifier apply to just one block channel. Set to some other channel and bypass in other scenes, and it won't engage in those scenes. Auto-engage isn't really needed or useful for the volume block so you can just bypass it in the wah scenes.

This. Most of my presets are set up this way. The pedal that controls the wah in the lead scene controls something else in the rhythm scene. I just make the modifiers for the pedal channel-specific and use different wah channels in the scenes. No parallel routing or multiplexing necessary.

Thanks for your suggestions. I figured out a way to do it, but I’m sure there must be a simpler way.

Yes, there are different ways to do this.

Like I said in a previous post, I don't like to use scenes to change the function of my expression pedal from wah to volume. I use a control switch. That way I can change the function of the pedal in any scene. I have attached a preset that is configured with the basics to do that.

Take a look at the bypass assignment for the Volume block (right-click on the Bypass function when editing the Volume block parameters) and the Input Select settings for the M-Plex block (right-click the Input Select parameter when editing the M-Plex block).

I have the wah block set to auto engage. I also have the wah set so that it's off at toe-down so when I switch back to the volume pedal I'm at full volume.

Here are the function assignments for the foot switch to toggle between wah and volume. You can assign it to which ever switch you prefer.
Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 6.50.34 AM.png

Attachments

• WahVolume.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 14
Yes, there are different ways to do this.

Like I said in a previous post, I don't like to use scenes to change the function of my expression pedal from wah to volume. I use a control switch. That way I can change the function of the pedal in any scene. I have attached a preset that is configured with the basics to do that.

Take a look at the bypass assignment for the Volume block (right-click on the Bypass function when editing the Volume block parameters) and the Input Select settings for the M-Plex block (right-click the Input Select parameter when editing the M-Plex block).

I have the wah block set to auto engage. I also have the wah set so that it's off at toe-down so when I switch back to the volume pedal I'm at full volume.

Here are the function assignments for the foot switch to toggle between wah and volume. You can assign it to which ever switch you prefer.
View attachment 75856
I tried to import this preset, but it was empty :(

Back
Top Bottom