Wish One click install for Axe-Edit updates

I agree that it could be streamlined a bit...

Perhaps a single dialog box with prompts for install path, ok to uninstall previous version, EULA acceptance, etc?

Probably not possible for a single click... But less would be good.

You meant the installer prompts? I believe that's proforma for that installer type. I don't find it inconvenient, and odds are that someone else will be upset they didn't get to choose a new install path (or whatever) if it's streamlined.

You meant the installer prompts? I believe that's proforma for that installer type. I don't find it inconvenient, and odds are that someone else will be upset they didn't get to choose a new install path (or whatever) if it's streamlined.
Perhaps a single dialog box with prompts for install path, ok to uninstall previous version, EULA acceptance, etc?

I would really like to see a one-click-install for updates of Axe-Edit instead of having a 12 click orgy (on win platform) every time when an update comes along.
i think this is due to how windows installs programs, yes?

After having considered all aspects and reviewing all points of view, I’d rather have a 12 click orgy, even if I don’t exactly know what that is.

Well this is absolutely no biggy, but with 12 clicks to do the install every time an update comes out, sets a record in my book, being a Windows HMI Programmer myself. Depending on the IDE with which Axe-Edit is developed, this should be easily doable with the ability to choose between a one-click-install based on the parameters of a previous Installation or taking the long way home…just my 2 cents..

Meanwhile, you can save all that hunting around with the mouse by getting familiar with the keyboard. There’s a shift-tab Enter. And a tab-Enter. The rest of the mouse clicks can be achieved by just hitting Enter. No screen navigation. I’ve been streamlining my Axe-Edit installs like this for years.

Meanwhile, you can save all that hunting around with the mouse by getting familiar with the keyboard. There’s a shift-tab Enter. And a tab-Enter. The rest of the mouse clicks can be achieved by just hitting Enter. No screen navigation. I’ve been streamlining my Axe-Edit installs like this for years.

Yes, this is known, but it doesn’t shorten the process any, 12 clicks or 12 key-strokes, the events are the same, aside that, the dialog window isn’t jumping around the screen, on the contrary, the mouse cursor automatically assumes the position of the control which has the default focus. The “click” reference comes from the common terminology “one-click-install” thus the referencing of “clicks”.

Yes, this is known, but it doesn’t shorten the process any, 12 clicks or 12 key-strokes, the events are the same...
It does shorten the process, though. You don't have to navigate the cursor to the non-default places that are required for a successful installation. And you can do it as gently or vigorously as you like, with no worry of moving the mouse. If you user the Enter key on number pad, you don't even have to pay attention to where your hand is going. Over thousands of release and beta installs, I've memorized the two sequences that require more than just the Enter key. FOr me, it's way faster. Lower-right corner, and bambambam!

You're right: it's not the same as an installation process that require fewer interactions. But that's why I started my post with "Meanwhile...: :)

The most puzzling thing for me is WHY does it need to ask for an install path? Just update yourself like every other piece of software and don't ask me stupid questions.

it can be easily taken care by how every other installer on earth does it, add a "custom installation" option that 99.9999999% of users can handily ignore.
Yes... Or it could be a single dialog with multiple options allowed as I suggested.

In any case, that's the point of the thread - to make it a better experience. ;)

Back
Top Bottom