One big rack or several small rack or rack bags???

rmbaylin

Inspired
I use a AxeFX-II, Matrix 1000 and a single RU wireless shure ULX. I also have a MFC101 with 3 pedals (this is in pedal board soft-sided case [Pedal-Lyte?]), I alternate using a 1x12 cab, a 1x12+2x12 cabs, or using a K10(s) for speakers

I am debating whether to split it all up into multiple case (like 2 RU for AXE FX, 2 RU for Matrix, 1 RU for Wireless) and buy a smaller midi floor controller like a LF Junior + and 1 pedal.

OR just bite the bullet and go bigger and get a 6, 8 or 10 RU Gator with wheels. I was thinking I could put it all in one case, including the MFC and pedals in drawer. Put a nice rack patch panel front and back for various connections and just roll it all in. Placing the speaker or K10 on top as I roll it into a gig I would place the speaker on top of the rack which would eliminate a speaker stand needed. We are playing a variety of places but usually nicer clubs, but space is always a premium on stage.

My wife, who is the voice of reason in my world, says "Go for the rolling bigger one and load it all into that. Why would you want to carry all that shit?"

Currently I use a 4Ru case with the Axe, Matrix and Shure. It gets heavy dragging that in one hand, the pedal board in the other, along with the K10, and 2 guiitars gig bags over the back. I'm a big guy at 6-6", but getting older should mean getting smarter.

R

My wife is also the voice of reason and she said" why no put into separate cases instead of one big one. That makes it easier to carry up and down the stairs"
Roller cases are good as long as you don't use the stairs

I had mine (when it was a bigger rack) split into a 2 space bag for axe, 6 space for pedals, patchmate and wireless, and a 2space for power amp. Loved moving it, hated hooking everything up and multiple lids to contend with. Trade one problem for another...

I've got both setups and use either one depending on the gig.

I don't care for the racks with rollers though. I either get pro cases with casters or just stack up cases on a hand truck or cart.

For some festival type gigs, the parking is h#ll and gone from the stage, I like to roll in the whole rig.

For small clubs though, the separate smaller racks are an easy carry.

I decided to go with 2 smaller racks so I could bring the Axe w/ me if I didn't need anything else...

- 2 space rack w/ Axe
- 4 space rack w/ Matrix GT800, Single space compressor, power conditioner, rack shelf w/ wireless. There's also room to stuff in a couple of small pockets that hold transmitter, extra batteries, picks, tools, etc.

Each weighs about 20 lbs. It only takes a minute or two to hook up to the other rack -- input, output, power, MFC, cab, ready to rock!

I decided to go with 2 smaller racks so I could bring the Axe w/ me if I didn't need anything else...

- 2 space rack w/ Axe
- 4 space rack w/ Matrix GT800, Single space compressor, power conditioner, rack shelf w/ wireless. There's also room to stuff in a couple of small pockets that hold transmitter, extra batteries, picks, tools, etc.

Each weighs about 20 lbs. It only takes a minute or two to hook up to the other rack -- input, output, power, MFC, cab, ready to rock!

Right call, IMO.

I went with one 8 space rack (Gator with wheels)- Axe, Furman, Velocity, G90 and a 2 space drawer, plus one vented grill space between the Axe (lower) and the Velocity (no heat issues at all here) that sits on a tilted stand. All cables are connected to the rack walls, only connection that has to be made is the MFC Ethercon. MFC/Missions are on a 32" board, have both hard case with wheels and a softcase. 2 EV ELX 112s on stands complete the package.

The rack isn't a lightweight, but it's not crazy heavy (the rack drawer adds a good amount of weight but is soooo worth it having all my tools/transmitters/strings/ect within easy reach).

All in all I make two trips with the help of crew/mates. That includes at least 4 guitars per show last year and a "case" stand for the axes.

IMG_7511_zpsb92f9e01.jpg

IMG_7516_zps3f06d12b.jpg

The idea of an all in one is certainly appealing and can make setup a breeze but take health into consideration. Had basically our entire band in an 8+2 which was great for quick setup but realistically couldn't carry the damn thing without help and stupidly one night lifted incorrectly trying to load back into the car and gave myself a double hernia. I miss the convenience of the all in one but after the surgery was forced to break it into smaller chunks... After the fact I really regret not having done that the first time rather than trying to save a few minutes of time. Loading/unloading from vehicles and god forbid if there was stair only access where couldn't just roll it... Anyhow, just be careful!

Back
Top Bottom