One Axe to Rule Them All

creativespiral

Inspired
I'm trying to figure out my best options for a swiss army guitar... one axe to rule them all.

Something that can cover the widest range of tones possible.

Currently, my most played is a PRS Custom 22 Special -- HSH config with a Fralin middle coil. I really like the tonal range with coil split and five way selector HSH. If this guitar had 24 frets and a piezo it could be my perfect axe.

I've been searching, and so far the Petrucci Majesty or BFR are the closest to my ideal specs, but I'm wondering if you guys know of other more boutique brands / luthiers who might be worth looking at. The Majesty is the max budget I'm looking, so <$3500 total... and if there are good options that are less expensive that would be a plus.

This is the core of my wish list:
1. 24 Frets - open to 25 - 25.5 scale length.
2. Tremelo with Piezo saddles - wired for dual output (Fishman powerbridge, LR X-bridge, or similar) (I prefer not Floyd/locking style)
3. HSH Pickup Config - HSH Fluence Modern set ideally, with all voice combos and 5-way pickup selector.

It seems to me that a configuration like the above could be a popular option, and there are manufacturers covering 2 out of 3 of these items, but no-one I have found offers all three in a standard issue guitar.

The Majesty (or BFR) ticks most of my boxes, but converting it to HSH Fluence setup would still be a fairly significant mod.

I've also been considering going the route of picking up a cheaper guitar and modding it to my specs:
ESP LTP E-1000 Piezo (24 frets and piezo, though it doesn't have floating trem, and I would probably swap pickups)
Schecter C-1 SLS Elite (24 frets with fluence HH modern pickups, but not floating trem, no piezo)

Both of the above options are considerable cheaper, but would require substantial modding to get my ideal setup.

Do you guys know of any other smaller / boutique guitar brands that are producing swiss army guitars like this, or who do custom builds that are not ridiculously expensive?

Sound/tone-wise, you can't really go past a Variax for versatility.

But if you don't like on-board guitar modeling (which is remarkably accurate), check out the Levinson Blade guitars. I have two, a T-style and my most recent one is the RH-4 Anniversary model. It's an HSS, but the switching, plus the fact that it has two active EQ modes as well as passive, which I have set to smiley-face and mid-boost, it is the other most versatile guitar I have. And I have about 50..... ;)

Hey @Doc Rock - thanks for the msg... I was not aware of Blade guitars before. That RH-4 model does look like a nice axe!!, but I'm not sure it hits my list.

24 frets, piezo trem

I've played a couple Variax guitars several years back and the modeled tones didn't really blow me away... I do see they have a 24 fret model with piezo... maybe I'll give it another test drive... though I really like the sound and versatility of the Fluence moderns, and am hoping I can find a guitar with a HSH config with those.

Hey @Doc Rock - thanks for the msg... I was not aware of Blade guitars before. That RH-4 model does look like a nice axe!!, but I'm not sure it hits my list.

24 frets, piezo trem

I've played a couple Variax guitars several years back and the modeled tones didn't really blow me away... I do see they have a 24 fret model with piezo... maybe I'll give it another test drive... though I really like the sound and versatility of the Fluence moderns, and am hoping I can find a guitar with a HSH config with those.

You may be surprised by the Variax if you give it another try. I'm talking about the recent ones, not the old 300 and 700 models. I have a Variax JTV-69 USA-made James Tyler Variax. I did swap the neck out, though, as the original was a bit too chunky for my taste - I have a lovely Warmoth neck on it now. It plays superbly. In A/B testing done by Guitar Player mag a few years ago, the modeled sounds were, to my ears, indistinguishable from the models they were emulating. And it's only got better. And of course, you get the Workbench software so you can tweak the modeling - including the pickups - to whatever you like. If I go out on a gig with a cover band, or do a TV session, for example, that would otherwise require multiple guitars, the Variax does it all, especially when paired with a modeler like the Axe Fx3.

I also have the Music Man Majesty, three Suhrs including the Guthrie Govan Signature model (extremely versatile), PRS, Ibanez JEM, etc etc among all the other usual suspects, but the Variax is by far the most versatile, even down to its acoustic emulations. Banjo or Sitar anyone? ;)

I found the link - here's the review of the JTV-69, but it is several years old (the review...!). But even back then, the sounds are highly impressive. The more recent ones, since Line 6 were taken into the Yamaha stable, are even better. You want HSH? Just define that in Workbench. You want drop D tuning, or even DADGAD, or any other? Just turn the tuning knob on the guitar. Check out this review, bearing in mind that it's old, and technology has been refined a lot since:

Hi @creativespiral! The PRS 509 and 513 are a Swiss Army style guitar but I am sure you are familiar with those since you have the PRS Cu 22 Special. Plus they do not have Piezo. The Music Man JP 15 is another option as well. I have that as well as a Majesty and it is an amazing guitar. As far as custom builders check out Chubtone guitars. https://www.chubtoneguitars.com They do custom builds and seem to be reasonable on their pricing. A couple of forum members have mentioned that they have nice guitars. This sounds like something that would be right up their alley.

I found the link - here's the review of the JTV-69, but it is several years old (the review...!). But even back then, the sounds are highly impressive. The more recent ones, since Line 6 were taken into the Yamaha stable, are even better. You want HSH? Just define that in Workbench. You want drop D tuning, or even DADGAD, or any other? Just turn the tuning knob on the guitar. Check out this review, bearing in mind that it's old, and technology has been refined a lot since:

I had one just like the one in the video, except in candy apple red. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It both sounded and felt horrible. Even the magnetic pickups weren't that great. The whole thing was just dead sounding, the bridge design probably played a big part in that. The modelling sounded like a parody of the various guitars it was supposed to mimic, and fooled no one.

Sorry for the rant, each to his own etc.

I'd go with the majesty. I have one and it's just an incredible guitar. Amazing playability and sounds with a huge range of tonal options along with the piezo system.

Thanks for the feedback guys... I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Majesty. Its got most of my wishlist covered... 24 frets with piezo built in. No HSS/HSH config, but It's got the DiMarzio Dreamcatcher and Rainmaker pickups, which seem to be pretty versatile. And from what I've read, it seems that swapping out for other DiMarzio pickups is pretty straightforward, if I want to change up the sound.

Here's the one I ordered... should be arriving in the next couple days:

majesty-ember-800.jpg

Very excited! :)

I think I'm probably gonna pick up another wireless so I can run magnetic and piezo in parallel into the Axe-FX3. Leaning toward another Line6 unit... I've got the G55... Thinking about maybe picking up a G30, or G70/75, or maybe another G55. Anyone have other suggestions for best wireless units / best value? I wish someone made a pro-grade dual channel wireless system... (I see there's some sort of cheapo units on amazon that actually have stereo/dual wireless transmisssion... but I'm guessing they are pretty crappy - "Mefe 2.4GHz wireless stereo transmitter")

FedEx is killing me with suspense... I've been watching the tracking page.

The guitar only needs to travel from San Diego to Los Angeles (about 120 miles). According to FedEx, it arrived in Los Angeles about an hour ago, then apparently took a detour up to Oakland, CA (wtf !!!)... 370 miles north.

detour.jpg

Am trying to figure this out. Fedex tracking says it was in Los Angeles at 9:20pm, and then arrived in Oakland 16 minutes later at 9:36pm. Doing the math, that means my guitar somehow traveled to Oakland at a minimum of 1,387 miles per hour... well over supersonic... pretty close to Mach 2. Does Fedex use F-22 Raptors for package transport?

f22.jpg

Feeling very anxious.

pro-grade dual channel wireless system
Pro grade?

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd4d

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd1

Or you can also mount together 2 of these physically to make a 1ru receiver.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ci1_aw_ew_500_g4_ci1_wireless_instrument.html

I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser gear. My guitar is still an older Shure unit, but microphones and in-ears are Sennheiser g3/g4. Been very good so far

Pro grade?

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd4d

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/wireless-systems/ulx-d_digital_wireless/ulxd1

Or you can also mount together 2 of these physically to make a 1ru receiver.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ci1_aw_ew_500_g4_ci1_wireless_instrument.html

I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser gear. My guitar is still an older Shure unit, but microphones and in-ears are Sennheiser g3/g4. Been very good so far

That Shure system.. $2505 receiver + two transmitters at $445 = $3395. Yikes! Maybe not that "pro grade". ;) Thanks for the link though. Anyways, I was thinking more along the lines of a product that just had a single transmitter that sends two channels... something designed for guitars with parallel mag and piezo outputs. But maybe it's just too niche. (besides the cheapo ones on Amazon)

I think I'll probably just get another of the Line 6 digital TX/RX systems to run along side my G55... They've been solid for me, and pretty good value. I suppose I could just get another G55, and it would fill the 1U rack space... that's probably the most elegant solution for me - I was just hoping to not have two transmitter packs on my guitar strap.

On a separate note, I still hope that one day Fractal will develop a digital wireless system that is integrated with the AXE. Maybe its too far out of their wheelhouse, but I have an instinct that if Cliff worked on such a product, it could be revolutionary with the AXE-FX... if the system could bridge the live, two-way impedance relationship between first block on Axe and the guitar pickups... and improve the modeling of fuzzes and other effects that have unique behavior and sound related to the impedance with pickups. Also, Fractal designed guitar pickups would probably be incredible ;)

Regarding the FedEx tracking, appears that the guitar is back in SoCal now, and is supposedly "Out for Delivery" today. Still have not idea why it took a 740 mile round trip detour to Oakland and back last night... or how it managed to make the trip up there at supersonic speeds.

But I'm just happy to see that its now in my area again and scheduled to be delivered. Just praying it arrives in good condition.

majesty-at-home.jpgIt arrived!... perfect condition. :):trophy::p

I was a bit anxious with not getting a chance to test it out in person first... the last Majesty I played was a couple years ago in a store. I just unboxed and took it for a first test drive.

Wow! Think I made the right choice! First impressions:

1. Absolutely love the JP floating trem. Can't believe how much more responsive and smooth it seems than my other guitars.

2. The guitar is so sleek and well designed... and a bit lighter than I remembered/expected. The contours are so nice -- extremely comfortable sitting or standing. I'm 5'10", average build... it fits like a glove. Now I just gotta get ripped like JP.

3. As expected, the access all the way up to 24th fret is so streamlined. This is my first neck-through guitar, and it sure is impressive... not missing having a bulky neck and big heel. On my Custom 22, you start feeling it around the 15th fret and by the 17th fret you've got to completely alter fretting technique. With the Majesty, its clear sailing all the way up to the 20th fret, and the neck contour is so gradual up to 24.

4. The rainmaker/dreamcatcher pickups sound great, and are so quiet, even on extreme high gain.

Here's my EBMM's
Thanks for the feedback guys... I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Majesty. Its got most of my wishlist covered... 24 frets with piezo built in. No HSS/HSH config, but It's got the DiMarzio Dreamcatcher and Rainmaker pickups, which seem to be pretty versatile. And from what I've read, it seems that swapping out for other DiMarzio pickups is pretty straightforward, if I want to change up the sound.

Here's the one I ordered... should be arriving in the next couple days:

View attachment 69110

Very excited! :)

I think I'm probably gonna pick up another wireless so I can run magnetic and piezo in parallel into the Axe-FX3. Leaning toward another Line6 unit... I've got the G55... Thinking about maybe picking up a G30, or G70/75, or maybe another G55. Anyone have other suggestions for best wireless units / best value? I wish someone made a pro-grade dual channel wireless system... (I see there's some sort of cheapo units on amazon that actually have stereo/dual wireless transmisssion... but I'm guessing they are pretty crappy - "Mefe 2.4GHz wireless stereo transmitter")

Attachments

• JP15.png
    JP15.png
    830.6 KB · Views: 15
  • majesty.png
    majesty.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • mine 1 .png
    mine 1 .png
    393 KB · Views: 17
View attachment 69194It arrived!... perfect condition. :):trophy::p

I was a bit anxious with not getting a chance to test it out in person first... the last Majesty I played was a couple years ago in a store. I just unboxed and took it for a first test drive.

Wow! Think I made the right choice! First impressions:

1. Absolutely love the JP floating trem. Can't believe how much more responsive and smooth it seems than my other guitars.

2. The guitar is so sleek and well designed... and a bit lighter than I remembered/expected. The contours are so nice -- extremely comfortable sitting or standing. I'm 5'10", average build... it fits like a glove. Now I just gotta get ripped like JP.

3. As expected, the access all the way up to 24th fret is so streamlined. This is my first neck-through guitar, and it sure is impressive... not missing having a bulky neck and big heel. On my Custom 22, you start feeling it around the 15th fret and by the 17th fret you've got to completely alter fretting technique. With the Majesty, its clear sailing all the way up to the 20th fret, and the neck contour is so gradual up to 24.

4. The rainmaker/dreamcatcher pickups sound great, and are so quiet, even on extreme high gain.
That is a beautiful guitar. Congrats!

That is a beautiful guitar. Congrats!

Thanks! One week in - I absolutely love this guitar!! I have been designing new Majesty patches with separate Piezo and Magnetic inputs... so cool how well this guitar works with multiple input chains in AxeFx3!... huge layered textures of acoustic and magnetic sounds... and so much flexibility with scene switching, exp pedal blending, and having the mag/mix/piezo switch right on the guitar.

I've been playing JP models almost as long as JP. They truly are swiss army knives. And as you have discovered, the AxeFX3 routing makes it a breeze to switch and layer combos of piezo/mags

I just bought a 2016 majesty. Sitting down I was underwhelmed, but playing standing up it felt great. The neck is wider at nut than I'm used to. I'll have a better idea after band practice today. This forum doesn't help with GAS!

Back
Top Bottom