One axe edit, 2 axe fx - possible?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,
I have a recording project - guitar, bass & drums. I'm thinking of getting another axe fx so the drum mics hear nothing but drums. So...the question....
Is it possible to connect 2 axe fx units to one computer with USB, and control each ( one at a time of course) with the same axe edit?
Thanks
Pauly

Yes, I do that all the time.

You can even control 2 Axe-fx's with 2 Axe-edits open. I'll have to did up the instructions for that, it been a while.

Hey java junkie,
That is great news - thanks for the reply.
I'm looking forward to those instructions!
Now how the hell will I find another 3 grand!

Pauly

You can even control 2 Axe-fx's with 2 Axe-edits open. I'll have to did up the instructions for that, it been a while.

Very old thread, but I will soon attempt this, and I'm wondering if it is still possible????? On a MacBook Pro

Not that I know of (I've tried and it would take some deeper changes to make it work). However, there is a feature to switch a single editor among multiple devices... unfortunately it doesn't work for me and I just opened a thread concerning that (see Show "Show Available Devices").

Has anyone figured this out. I have two rack mounted Axe IIs. I hate having to control one of them from the front panel. java junkie can you please post the instructions?

Hi Little bigfis

It's been a while since I did it, but I think your answer is in creating Axe Edit's Preferences, then copying settings for one unit to Axedits preferences before starting it - I setup one set of directories for Axe FX 1, and another for Axe FX 2, and choosing 1 or 2 allows the instance of axe edit to run one or more units
..probably best to just give you the files!.. so... 4 files below - the 2 batch files first that I created shortcuts to start axedit for unit 1 or 2.... Then the settings files.
Happy to (try to) answer any questions.

Thanks
Pauly

AXEEDIT1.Bat--------------------

@echo off
copy /Y "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings" "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings.bak"
copy /Y "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\settings1" "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings"
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.exe"

And AXEDIT2.BAt----------------------

@echo off
copy /Y "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings" "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings.bak"
copy /Y "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\settings2" "C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.settings"
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit"
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\Axe-Edit.exe"
exit
exit

And... the secret sauce in 2 setting files...
...This one cunningly called settings1----------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PROPERTIES>
<VALUE name="MRU_DIRECTORY" val="C:\Drivers\Axe FX II\Presets\"/>
<VALUE name="MAIN_WINDOW_STATE" val="-18 13 958 634"/>
<VALUE name="SNAPSHOTS_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Documents\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\presets\snapshots\1"/>
<VALUE name="MIDI_IN" val="AXE-FX II MIDI In"/>
<VALUE name="MIDI_OUT" val="AXE-FX II MIDI Out"/>
<VALUE name="MOUSE_SCROLLING" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="KNOB_TRACKING" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="EFFECT_DEFS_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\"/>
<VALUE name="BLOCKS_DEFS_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Documents\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\blocks\1"/>
<VALUE name="LANGUAGE" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="MRU_DIR_IMPORT" val="C:\Drivers\Axe FX II\Presets\"/>
<VALUE name="TEMPLATES_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Documents\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\presets\templates\1"/>
<VALUE name="PROMPT_MANAGER_LOAD" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="PROMPT_MANAGER_WAIT_TIME" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="SHOW_TOOLTIPS" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="EXPORT_STRIP_GLOBALS" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="SNAPSHOT_STRIP_GLOBALS" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="ALLOW_MORE_THAN_ONE" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="SEARCH_NUMBER_AND_NAME" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="PROMPT_MANAGER_RESYNC" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_RECURSE_DIRECTORIES" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_PRESET_CLEAR_LIST" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_CAB_CLEAR_LIST" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_SCRATCHPAD" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_SPLITTER_PRESET" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_SPLITTER_CAB" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="AUTO_UPDATE_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Downloads"/>
<VALUE name="CHECK_FOR_UPDATE" val="1"/>
</PROPERTIES>

...and this one settings 2---------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PROPERTIES>
<VALUE name="MRU_DIRECTORY" val="C:\Drivers\Axe FX II\Backups\XL\17092015\cABS"/>
<VALUE name="MAIN_WINDOW_STATE" val="82 5 958 634"/>
<VALUE name="SNAPSHOTS_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Documents\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\presets\snapshots\2"/>
<VALUE name="MIDI_IN" val="2- AXE-FX II MIDI In"/>
<VALUE name="MIDI_OUT" val="2- AXE-FX II MIDI Out"/>
<VALUE name="MOUSE_SCROLLING" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="KNOB_TRACKING" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="EFFECT_DEFS_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\"/>
<VALUE name="BLOCKS_DEFS_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Documents\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\blocks\2"/>
<VALUE name="LANGUAGE" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="MRU_DIR_IMPORT" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Downloads\"/>
<VALUE name="TEMPLATES_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Documents\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit\presets\templates\2"/>
<VALUE name="PROMPT_MANAGER_LOAD" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="PROMPT_MANAGER_WAIT_TIME" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="SHOW_TOOLTIPS" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="EXPORT_STRIP_GLOBALS" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="SNAPSHOT_STRIP_GLOBALS" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="ALLOW_MORE_THAN_ONE" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="SEARCH_NUMBER_AND_NAME" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="PROMPT_MANAGER_RESYNC" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_RECURSE_DIRECTORIES" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_PRESET_CLEAR_LIST" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_CAB_CLEAR_LIST" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_SCRATCHPAD" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_SPLITTER_PRESET" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="BROWSER_SPLITTER_CAB" val="0"/>
<VALUE name="AUTO_UPDATE_DIR" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Downloads"/>
<VALUE name="CHECK_FOR_UPDATE" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="PROMPT_PRESET_BUNDLE_IMPORT" val="1"/>
<VALUE name="MRU_SYSEX_INFO" val="C:\Users\Pauly\Documents"/>
</PROPERTIES>

Thanks Pauly for this info! The file data you generously shared is for windows, correct? Unfortunately, I have a mac os so I cant just copy and paste. However, I think i get the basic strategy of creating two distinct preference files. I'm unclear as to how each preference file is to be instigated. That is, how/when/where do I instruct axe edit to run one or more units? If I launch axe-edit will it present a choice (assuming these settings files are placed in their respective directories)? And also with regard to the nuts and bolts, I'm do not know how to create the requisite code for these settings files for mac os. If anyone has code for the preference files for mac, please post!

Hi again,

Ah there I go again thinking everyone has the same setup as me! hah.. yep - Windows 7 is my poison at the moment.

Yes - you have the right idea - It's simply a way of writing the correct configuration for the selected unit before you start Axe Edit - So the batch files grap a setting file, copy it to Axe edits config file, then start axe edit.

Sorry but I cannot offer instructions for a Mac, but hopefully someone can assist with the techniques to do that. Come on guys - chip in!

Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom