On top or underneath?

Galen Cane

Inspired
My buddy asked why I have my Axe on top and my amp underneath on my rig..

image.jpg

He has his amp on top and says that's the right way round..

image.jpg

As long as you keep the front and back of the rack case open when in use, I don't think there is a right or wrong. Since heat rises, i would personally tend to place the components that generate the most heat at the top.

The amp will produce more heat than the Axe Fx, therefore should be on top as the hot air will rise, which means it rises into your Axe Fx.
Having said that, the fan should pump most of the heat out of the back, so it probably isn't a big issue.

I would tend to mount components that generate heat closer to the top too, so the other components don't cop the extra heat unnecessarily.

One thing you could do is check how hot the top of the amp does get and see if that bothers you or not.

Well actually, there's a fan, yes, but it blows onto the cpu (not "out of the back") so if the air around is hot it will blow hot air onto the cpu

Really really doesnt matter.

The theory of heat rising etc is fine - BUT unless your running a valve power amp, with no forced air cooling (fan) then the heat build up isnt enough to worry the AFX. Ive run my amp below the afx in a tight rack for 4 years+ wilth absolutely no problems. It is ss, but before that ran a VHT valve power amp directly below my old standard for 18 months - again no problems with heat at all.

Well actually, there's a fan, yes, but it blows onto the cpu (not "out of the back") so if the air around is hot it will blow hot air onto the cpu
Somehow I now imagine a weirdo with filthy hair coming up on stage to manically exhale onto your Axe...

fan-jokes_o_323053.jpg

Slightly off topic - looks like you guys are using the Matrix GT1000FX 2U. I just got it, running two NL212s with it. After playing a couple hours with the NL212s at ear-splitting volume, I could hardly feel any heat whatsoever from the amp. Does this amp run particularly cool, or is it just that the NL212s are easy to drive? What´s your experience with this amp and heat buildup? (Planning my new rack)

Weight distribution matters too - having heavy stuff like a power amp at the top can make a top-heavy rack that is easier to tip over. It can make some sense to put the power amp the the bottom, leave some space (or some shallow rack equipment) and put the more sensitive stuff at the top. That way the power amp can breathe, it doesn't cook anything else, and your rack isn't prone to falling over.

I like the Axe-Fx at the top to be able to see its display better, and because the power amp's cables do not block access to the Axe-Fx's rear.
+1
This is the reason my rack is configured with the AxeFX on top for visibility. I use a Class D Carvin power amp, and it never gets warm to the touch. Most modern power amps don't get very hot. I have a scar on the back of my hand from getting burned by my Mesa 2:90 back in the 90s... that bad boy sounded good but it got HOT.

Back
Top Bottom