On the fence between Axe FX II and Kemper Profiling Amp

I already had the AXE II for a while when I bought a Kemper, for me any new type of digital modeler/profiler etc, whatever new device that comes out I always buy it to see if it's something that can improve my sound in any way, i owned the KPA for six months and kept up with firmware upgrades etc, compared it to the Axe many times, with guitar cabs, but mostly direct with a big PA, there was some bugs with the firmware but that is expected with new devices, the biggest problem was i was hearing things in the sound that shouldn't have been there, and it kind of sounded a bit like when I'm playing a sample on a keyboard, the profiled sound was pretty accurate to the amp being profiled, but somehow the sound (I had over 3000 profiles on it at one time..) was boring, I could never really figure it out, but all I know is I always got tired very quickly of playing the KPA and it doesn't happen with the AXE II, then the KPA started acting up, not booting etc, so I knew it was time for it to go.. must say only feature of the KPA I liked was being able to save my patches to the USB stick, that is very nice to have, maybe the AXE III will have it.. :)
CK is a smart guy and I like what he does with the Virus synths having used them a lot in the past, but this version of the KPA isn't for me.. I'm sure i'll try out the KPA II, or III sometime in the future..

I had both, a new rack Kemper and Axe II and I liked both, Kemper's easy editing, the stomp close fx - then came Axe FW-9 - a huge step forward - I still liked both - soon after came Axe FW 10 - a giant step forward - I stopped playing the Kemper because the Axe Sounds improved incredibly and the feeling in my fingers was so much more direct and authentic. The Kemper in comparison felt like playing with gloves. I sold it. A clever man once said: When you have decided - kill the alternatives. My decision was easy finally and whenever I play my Axe TripTik, Fender or Boogie Sounds I forget about all the trouble around display editing, complex parameters, Axe Editor... So will you! Get it with or without FW 11 and AE 3.0. With best wishes from the country where the Kemper is made. Sorry for these guys at home...

The real answer to the question is...they're both great units but it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges.
I own both, and I love 'em both. My recommendation is:
1. But the Kemper if: you want excellent amp emulation, with basic effects and not too much fussing with parameters
2. But the Fractal if: you want extreme flexibility, want to experiment with unusual sounds, are a die-hard tweaker and need maximal control of the unit for live playing situations.

Case Closed.

I have owned both. You can't really go wrong tone-wise with either one. But, the Axe FX 2 is the keeper for me. I had a Kemper for 4 months, and tried a TON of models on it. They all sounded good, and I was happy right up until it died. After the Kemper died (and the second one didn't work at all), I tried an Axe FX 2. Right out of the gate, I knew I preferred it over the Kemper. Sounds better, and has many more options.... not to mention it can direct connect to a computer, has tone matching built in, etc. My suggestion is the Axe FX 2. You won't be sorry.

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone, it has been an interesting thread.

Right now, I can't buy either as neither product is in stock.

I am sure that both products are great and that both products really are an amazing innovation is sound.

Personally, I have simple tastes, I don't make my living writing or performing music and the decision is not a life or death one.

I am just looking to have fun playing my guitar and really I can do that anytime even without an amp.

I just made my decision between the two after extensive back and forth. I am hoping to post much more detailed write up this week when I have a little more time. At the end of the day, FW11 was what put me over the edge.

I found with the KPA I was getting professional profiles that were already pretweaked to be in the sweet spot and sound good, but that was the only sound of that amp I was getting in that profile. Yes that makes the KPA always sound good if you only use those profiles, but that's like paying Scott to come over and create presets for me and then I can never do anything else. So yes the axe has the possibility to sound bad if you don't set things up right, but that is a risk I am willing to take in order to get the benefits of its flexibility. I preferred at this point to have the whole amp at my fingertips (plus all the other axe extras) and trust myself and my ears rather than someone giving me their opinion of what's best.

Also, before FW11 I think the KPA really had the axe beat in the feel and dynamics department. Now, after five minutes of dialing in an amp, I could get the great sweet spot tone of the amp plus the feel and dynamics are there.

That's really it in a nutshell. There are also a number of small nigly points which Iwill also discuss later on. I dont want to get into a flame war. Both are absolutely incredible pieces of kit. All IMHO.

To OP, let me break it down to you in plain english.

Kemper will toast your sliced bread:

Untitled-3_zpse57c0836.jpg

Fractal Audio will get you the girl of your dreams:

Axe-Fx-II-swimsuit_zpsf40703c6.jpg

Yeah but will she tweak your knob???

The fact is that there are dozens of very high end studio engineers and producers who prefer the Axe-Fx.

We normally focus on marketing around guitar players, since they traditionally connect with our guitar player market. But since the myth has arisen that there is some kind of gap here, we've got some very compelling pieces in the works to dispel the notion that there is some kind of divide. Big big big names.

I don't get the guys that tweak a lot either. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just assume they hear things I cannot and are picky about it.

I just pick the amp and play. There are just a few controls I adjust, TMB, gain, and MV. Maybe changing a cab, that has a huge effect. That and turning the dang thing up so the neighbors can hear. haha.

I am with you -- I treat the Axe like an amp with a very large pedalboard.:lol I am not a tweaker and never will be one.

Since V9 (and especially 10 plus) -- I think the axe has evolved into more of a player's platform with less need for advanced tweaking/engineering. I am an old tube guy and tried my hand with the axe multiple times since 2009 with zero success -- this time it is working for me big time because I can approach it from a more traditional amp/pedals POV.

Yeah but I am still waiting for the brown van to drop off the hot chick.

I think I was a victim of a bait and switch scam.

To OP, let me break it down to you in plain english.

Kemper will toast your sliced bread:

Untitled-3_zpse57c0836.jpg

Fractal Audio will get you the girl of your dreams:

Axe-Fx-II-swimsuit_zpsf40703c6.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It really helps to hear positive comments from real users of the Axe FX II.

It seems as though guitar players prefer the Axe FX II while professional recording engineers and studio heads prefer the Kemper.

Interesting!

I think my biggest concern with the Axe FX II is that it will take a lot of tweaking and learning to get the clean and melodic tones that I most want to sound good to me. I am not really into tweaking. I would rather just turn it on. Run a few simple pedals for sound modification and spend most of my time playing. Of course like some have said it might take a lot of time and effort to find the perfect Kemper Amp profile online or in one of the The Amp Factory Packs.

How many people here find that they have great tones right out of the box with the Axe FX II without a lot of messing with parameters and spending hours learning what each parameter controls? I know I had to invest a lot of time learning to tweak every aspect of the Eleven Rack and even though the Eleven Rack gave me acceptable tones (better than any Line 6 product) it still didn't sound or feel like a real tube amp.

I am a newbie and found that its a cakewalk to take the Axe FX II right out of the box and have great tones. Especially the clean amps. Its almost effortless to tweak various FX in and out by using Axe Edit and FW 11b. E.g., I just took a clean amp and inserted two BB Preamp effects in series, both dialed waaaayyyy down in the mix. I can have the first one on, or the second one on, or both on at the same time, and its give you a different shade of the same tone. This kind of configuration also exaggerates the dynamic response greatly. Your string-pops sound poppier [SIC - is that even a word?] and the angle and texture of your pick attack and the FW11b "thump" are greatly enhanced.

Yes, you can swim over to the deep end of the Axe FX II pool and tone match and create your own IRs or purchase cabs from Ownhammer and others. And I plan to swim to the deep end soon - if I can just get past all these great tones right out of the box - which I think answers the question - you can get endless great tones right out the box with very little editing. I have only owned the Axe FX II since July 4, 2013.

Go for it! :encouragement:

Often huge tweaking just makes everything worse. Make extreme eq tweaks with quiet volumes at home - recipe for disaster at gig volumes. Tweak with headphones - quaranteed fail. Just do it like you would do it real amps. Basic settings with Amp - cab, and I don't see how it can fail.

Yes that makes the KPA always sound good if you only use those profiles, but that's like paying Scott to come over and create presets for me and then I can never do anything else.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for a lot of users. Maybe a very large percentage of users. If you can get the iconic sounds of the iconic amps and you can make some EQ tweaks to that, that would probably satisfy a great many guitar players. I also want the added flexibility of the AXE-FX, but I can certainly see a lot of players being happy with the Kemper.

Grew up in a Ford family, Dad was a Tool & Die maker for Ford. My wife works for Ford in the plant making Mustangs. I like Chevy (love their current line-up and the Vette is absolutely drool worthy) but gotta go with Ford here. ;) :D

Hmmmmmmmmm. Wonder how you are going to get from the airport to the hotel then. :)

Back
Top Bottom