On Standard: Jumpy Value Knob

Arturo Civit

Hi guys, well, I have this Standard unit that I exchanged a few days ago, gear unit actually and everything works great but the value knob, is not something that bothers that much but worries me because I'm not sure if its going to get worst, the thing is, when dialing the value knob it jumps to one value to another one that is really away, for example, from patch 3 to patch 15, sometimes dialing makes nothing untill 3 o 4 tries, so, sometimes is not a good thing because the values are to close, like when you are selecting amps or effects, wondering if this is normal, if there's a way to fix it without returning (I'm located in Venezuela so, kinda' complicated to do) or if its something that going to be worst and leaving me with a useless value knob after certain time?

Thanks!

Arturo

It's getting worse, unfortunately. On my Ultra I already got it replaced by a new one a few years ago and although I hardly used the Ultra the past years the value wheel (more precisely the encoder) already starts acting weird again.

Best to use the editor and only touch the value wheel when there's no other way.

Thanks man, quick question, do you have a step-by-step how to?
Pretty simple. Unplug the unit, tip on its back faceplate up. Pry the center cap off (I used a pick), then unscrew the nut holding the knob on and remove the knob. Have a rag handy. Spray the deoxit on the shaft where it goes into the collar, turn it around a few times, spray again and turn around a few times the other direction. Try not to spray the screen. Use the rag to clean any overspray (there will be). Let it dry for about ten minutes, then put the knob back on and fire it up. Don’t seat the knob all the way against the faceplate, I again used my pick as a spacer, otherwise it’ll scrape against the faceplate and hurt your teeth. Enjoy your newly functional value knob. I did this as a temporary fix until I could order a new value wheel, but it’s been a year with no more issues so I’m calling it a legit fix at this point.

Just to be clear my knob was complete non functional. No matter how gingerly you tried to turn it, the value would only go down, leaving you basically unable to make any front panel adjustments.

Pretty simple. Unplug the unit, tip on its back faceplate up. Pry the center cap off (I used a pick), then unscrew the nut holding the knob on and remove the knob. Have a rag handy. Spray the deoxit on the shaft where it goes into the collar, turn it around a few times, spray again and turn around a few times the other direction. Try not to spray the screen. Use the rag to clean any overspray (there will be). Let it dry for about ten minutes, then put the knob back on and fire it up. Don’t seat the knob all the way against the faceplate, I again used my pick as a spacer, otherwise it’ll scrape against the faceplate and hurt your teeth. Enjoy your newly functional value knob. I did this as a temporary fix until I could order a new value wheel, but it’s been a year with no more issues so I’m calling it a legit fix at this point.

Thanks so much man!!, quick question, any electrical cleaner solution work? In the country I am find Deoxit is complicated

Back
Top Bottom