On Mac, what is axe-fx USB plugin named & where does it install

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
I've checked the two places where midi drivers are installed on a mac, and it's in neither. Searching for .plugin doesn't find it either.

library/audio/midi drivers
users/me/library/audio/midi drivers

The USB Driver on Mac is actually a bootloader, that tells to the host what the AxeFx "should" be - a class compliant device - that means, as a class compliant device, the axefx gets all his driver code out of an extension called AppleUSB Audio - this is an I/O kit based kernel driver, part of the operating system and based on the USB.org Audio Class 2.0 specs. There is no dedicated mac core-audio/core midi driver up to date....

The USB Driver on Mac is actually a bootloader, that tells to the host what the AxeFx "should" be - a class compliant device - that means, as a class compliant device, the axefx gets all his driver code out of an extension called AppleUSB Audio - this is an I/O kit based kernel driver, part of the operating system and based on the USB.org Audio Class 2.0 specs. There is no dedicated mac core-audio/core midi driver up to date....

so you are saying that you can not see where the driver is installed? not fully understand what you are saying.
and how do I know for sure that it is installed correctly?

so you are saying that you can not see where the driver is installed? not fully understand what you are saying.
and how do I know for sure that it is installed correctly?
It's installed correctly if you see it here: Your Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII

When the axe-fx is turned on and usb cable is connected, open your system preferences and look in "sound" you'll see the axe-fx listed as a device. In the Audio Midi Setup application located in applications/utilities you'll see it as both an audio and a midi device.

If you power down the axe-fx or unplug the midi cable while axe-fx is still powered on, the axe-fx will disappear from the lists for audio devices and it'll still be viewable but be greyed out as a midi device in the MIDI Studio window of Audio Midi Setup. Power it on or plug in USB while powered on and the opposite happens.

These are all indicators that the driver is installed and working. I recommend doing these before you connect and launch Axe-Edit for the first time. That way you know any connectivity issues aren't related to driver issues.

It's installed correctly if you see it here: Your Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/AxeFxII

When the axe-fx is turned on and usb cable is connected, open your system preferences and look in "sound" you'll see the axe-fx listed as a device. In the Audio Midi Setup application located in applications/utilities you'll see it as both an audio and a midi device.

If you power down the axe-fx or unplug the midi cable while axe-fx is still powered on, the axe-fx will disappear from the lists for audio devices and it'll still be viewable but be greyed out as a midi device in the MIDI Studio window of Audio Midi Setup. Power it on or plug in USB while powered on and the opposite happens.

Everything is there in the Application Support folder and Axe Edit is working correctly. However in the System preferences sound I don't see the Axe fx. I am running OSX 10.6.8. Maybe the OSX is the reason? because 10.6.8 doesn't allow Audio-USB?

If any Mac installer (.pkg) has files that it installs you can (usually) see them in the installer pkg by right clicking on it and select 'Show package contents' - have a nosey in the folders there and you'll find various files waiting to be installed that you can then search for on your Mac post install.

so you are saying that you can not see where the driver is installed?

Sort of, yes! Read this: https://developer.apple.com/library...ml#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40010116-CH1-TNTAG2

The AxeFx has a soft bootloader, it gets his definition from the host (your mac) instead of his internal USB controller.

@ Jollo: these are not drivers, these is definition data. There you got your vendor ID, your number of endpoints, endpoint describtions, your max. packet size, polling interval time, interface class, subclass blahblahblah..... ;)

AxeFx2USBProberData.png

I've had the same issues. The driver is located in Application Support and I have to go in and click the "load" file each and every time I use the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom