On controlling output clipping...

ptgold

Inspired
Should i just focus on the levelontrol in the amp block? I see some people only bring the level down to at most -26 dbs. Is there anything wrong with going lower than that? Or should I use the global level control also?

I adjust the level control in the amp block while looking at the meters in the utility window to make sure the output is not clipping. The numbers don't matter, set it where ever you have to so it doesn't clip. Make sure you try out all of your effects one at a time to make sure none of them are pushing the output into clipping. I recently noticed my flanger was pushing a preset into clipping when it was on. Also if you use any outboard pedals in front of the Axe FXII make sure they are not clipping your output.

Keep it simple, adjust the amp level as needed. -26 sounds slightly wild, I'd guess there must be some boosts elsewhere.

Keep it simple, adjust the amp level as needed. -26 sounds slightly wild, I'd guess there must be some boosts elsewhere.

The reason im going so low is because i like to use three parallel paths after the cab block. One dry, one delay and one reverb.

The reason im going so low is because i like to use three parallel paths after the cab block. One dry, one delay and one reverb.

Yes that will boost the level a lot, unless you make them 100% wet: Mix 100, Level to taste.

Fascinating is that the amp interacts with the cab, but the level is independent. How does that work?

The Cab Block does *not* "interact" with the Amp Block.

But the Cab Block does have a Speaker Drive control that will introduce distortion when the Cab Block is driven by a hotter signal.

And the Amp Block has a Spkr Page that models the way the virtual power amp would behave if it was interacting with speakers of various types that are connected to the virtual power amp's output.
But these parameters do not directly interact with the Cab Block even though it may sound like that's what they are doing.

I usually play through a power amp and guitar cabs via Out 2 (FXLoop Block).
I set my levels in the Amp Block so that my clean Presets have the most volume w/o clipping the Axe's DAC.
When I also use the same Presets to drive an FRFR system, via an active Cab Block (post FX Loop Block) through Out 1, I find that I have to lower the Level of a mono Cab Block -5 db or it will clip unless the Cab Block is in a Bypass state.
For a stereo Cab Block I think I need to lower it to -10dB.

If you only run FRFR then you could just set the level in the Amp Block.

I have the same situation. Because of the way I shunt between parallel effects and remerge them into the main line, I have a large increase in gain. I frequently run the amp block anywhere from -27 to -12, just depending on the amp type and drive gain. I also use the output 2 as my effects loop, and since I'm running stomp box type pedals in there, I have my output 2 gain -12db and my output 1 gain -6db. But this works for me, and the sound guys. The Axe FX is still the loudest and clearest output device I've ever had. I have some much output signal that I could send, if the sound guys wanted it. I actually like that. It keeps the signal to noise ratio low. I've had the sound guys come up to the stage, see me playing, and say, oh wow, I thought someone was playing a CD through the system - it is so clear and clean.

i recently recorded and mixed a 7 hour multi-band event (WHEW!!!). there was a fender twin for backline with a sennheiser 609 on it. one band had 2 guitarists. the lead/main guy used the amp with his pedal board, and the other had some sort of amp sim DI box, which actually sounded quite good, after all of his pedals.

live it was hard to tell because of the small room and everything bouncing everywhere. but at mixdown, the direct guitar was so much easier to mix and get separation. the other guitar had drums and vocals and all sorts of stuff in it because it was an open mic.

axe-fx or not, direct is just easier to deal with, as long as it sounds good of course hah!

I had issues with clipping too yesterday when demoing a delay pedal that I had placed in the effects loop of the Axe Fx II.
Somehow the input2/output2 clip much earlier with the same (amp) levels where it audibly was much more silent?
What I did in the end was lower the amp level, kept the FXL block at unity and added a mixer block after the FXL block where I increased the overall output level to about 8-9dB which resulted in a clean sound without clipping.

Anyone care to share what's causing this?

you're sending way too much level to most, if not all, devices.

unless you are using the 4 cable method with an amp, there is no reason to turn it all the way up.

of course, whatever works for you works.

maybe that's why you've had to change the Amp Block Level to very low levels, under -26dB as asked in your original post. it's less about what number that parameter is at, and more about preventing internal clipping.

if you have some time, this video shows my complete thoughts on the subject:

Preset Gain-Staging and Preventing Internal Clipping – Axe-FX II : Katsu Kuri Media Blog

unless you are using the 4 cable method with an amp, there is no reason to turn it all the way up.

of course, whatever works for you works.

if you have some time, this video shows my complete thoughts on the subject:

Preset Gain-Staging and Preventing Internal Clipping – Axe-FX II : Katsu Kuri Media Blog

Thanks, I will check it out. I have no issues with the output levels going into my FF400 via SPDIF. In the manual it also mentions that max would be unity gain so that should be cool.

maybe that's why you've had to change the Amp Block Level to very low levels, under -26dB as asked in your original post. it's less about what number that parameter is at, and more about preventing internal clipping.

I'm not the original OP. I only had an issue with the FXL.

Thanks, I will check it out. I have no issues with the output levels going into my FF400 via SPDIF. In the manual it also mentions that max would be unity gain so that should be cool.

Unity Gain is described as Shunts only in the Layout. the moment you add an amp block or boost any other block, you are no longer at unity gain and are capable of +20dB of output gain with the Level Knob all the way up.

i've never used SPDIF with the axe, but does the Level Knob even affect that digital signal?

I'm not the original OP. I only had an issue with the FXL.

hah i knew that too as i typed it. my mistake.

Back
Top Bottom