On a Delay quest, looking for info...

Hey all.
Been searching for a previous thread for a while, and I just can't find the post. I believe quite some time ago Cliff or someone at Fractal posted a detailed list explaining all the parameters in the delay block in detail, specifically, the modulation section. I'm trying to locate it, but can't seem to find it.

The post seemed to help in translating Fractal's paradigm and naming conventions in the modulation settings, and assisted in trying to understand how to apply other unit's settings into the Fractal. ie. trying to achieve/clone/reproduce the sound of unit 'X' in the Fractal's delay block.

Thanks. If no one can find it, I'll follow up with exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

i don't really understand what's tricky about the delay modulation section. you've basically got rate, depth, shape and phase, just like any other modulation....

what are you trying to recreate? can you list the parameters on the original unit?

Delay modulation does seem readily apparent to me - ever listen to stereo tape delay or deluxe mind guy?

Like Simeon suggested, what are you looking for?

Thanks for the response.
Yes you do have the parameters listed, just like any other modulation, but again, the way it's labeled in the Fractal isn't exactly the same as other units. That's not a slight on the Fractal at all, but it can be challenging when going between different units. ie. Eventide Eclipse, Vintage Delay algo.

On Fractal:
Modulation depth: low or high = ? I don't know what that it is actually scaling the depth to when I change between low and high. I seem to always be in a situation where I'm either cranking the depth on the low setting and not getting enough and switching to high and getting too much and dialing it back. Finding that perfect sweet spot to emulate some sounds I'm used to is vague with the low/high setting.
Modulation depth is in a % on the Fractal, on the Eventide it's in milliseconds. does a 3.1m depth equal 3.1% or 31% or?

wwkrh3.png

9pu8h5.jpg

The reason for all this is the Vintage Delay Algo on the Eventide IMHO is perfect. Set you mix to 20% and left/right delay times to taste and it's the most perfectly balanced delay. Modulation is just right, EQ low cut at 125, high 2800. It adds depth and ambience and is great for solos, but it's never too much unless you want it to be.

i don't really understand what's tricky about the delay modulation section. you've basically got rate, depth, shape and phase, just like any other modulation....

what are you trying to recreate? can you list the parameters on the original unit?

@FractalAudio will need to answer the question of how different values for MOD DEPTH in the Axe-Fx delay correlate to some number of milliseconds of time variance. I may have known the answer at one point but I don't want to give you a wrongly remembered detail.

Personally, however, I would just do it by ear!

By ear is ok for a patch or two but I'm trying to recreate a decade of triaxis/eclipse patches, it's incrediblly laborious as it is, anything that helps me speed it up helps. There's only so much time to program. A/Bing against one rig to the next takes a long time, esp since there are so many advanced parameters. It's like trying to duplicate amp tones, set all the controls the same and it still sounds different, so now you're going thru this list of advanced parameters and next thing it's an hr later and you've dug yourself into a hole,

@FractalAudio will need to answer the question of how different values for MOD DEPTH in the Axe-Fx delay correlate to some number of milliseconds of time variance. I may have known the answer at one point but I don't want to give you a wrongly remembered detail.

Personally, however, I would just do it by ear!

well some things just aren't transferrable, like polarity, for example. my advice would be to choose the delay type in the axe that has the right texture and make sure the low cut and high cut values are matched (this will have the most impact on the quality of the delay) and then dial in the lfo type (triangle, sin etc) and the rate. the depth, you'll have to dial in by ear. some of the delay types respond to the same depth value in different ways. it may be that the eventide actually creates depth in the modulation in a different way than the axe does, so it's set by a ms value rather than a percentage...i'm not sure. hopefully cliff will be able to help with this one

If I had an Eventide Eclipse (drool) I would so put it into the Axe's FX loop. Especially now that I finally know how to do program changes with my MFC101. Best of both worlds really.

i used to have one and sold it with The Big Rig Sell Off of 2010 when i bought my ultra. there are only about three pieces of gear i regret selling over the years and the eclipse was one of them. there's something quite special about it, imo...

rackfull.jpg

i used to have one and sold it with The Big Rig Sell Off of 2010 when i bought my ultra. there are only about three pieces of gear i regret selling over the years and the eclipse was one of them. there's something quite special about it, imo...

And the other two are ....?

I have an Eclipse in my rack with a Triaxis, Ada MP-1, Korg SDD2000, and so on. The Eclipse is an absolutely fantastic piece of kit with much deeper and more luscious delays and reverbs than the Axe-FX ....... but much more difficult to programme. I am going to put it in the loop of my XL+. Best of both worlds!

20170419_204156.jpg

Last edited:
If I had an Eventide Eclipse (drool) I would so put it into the Axe's FX loop. Especially now that I finally know how to do program changes with my MFC101. Best of both worlds really.

I did this for years, but now I'm rebuilding from scratch with an AX8 and I want to keep everything within the box so I can have the smallest rig possible for fly dates and when space is a premium

Cool rig. I have the same deal at home with a PCM80. MPX 1 and Intelliverb as well. It sounds amazeballs, but it's just way to big for me to take out anymore unless it's a special show. I carry PA too so I just can't bring out 14 spaces of gear unless the venue has sound.
Interesting you say the Eclipse is hard to program. Once you learn it I find it's quite manageable. I feel like the PCM 80 is harder cause it's menu is like a matrix.

I have an Eclipse in my rack with a Triaxis, JMP-1, Korg SDD2000, and so on. The Eclipse is an absolutely fantastic piece of kit with much deeper and more luscious delays and reverbs than the Axe-FX ....... but much more difficult to programme. I am going to put it in the loop of my XL+. Best of both worlds!

20170419_204156.jpg

well some things just aren't transferrable, like polarity, for example. my advice would be to choose the delay type in the axe that has the right texture and make sure the low cut and high cut values are matched (this will have the most impact on the quality of the delay) and then dial in the lfo type (triangle, sin etc) and the rate. the depth, you'll have to dial in by ear. some of the delay types respond to the same depth value in different ways. it may be that the eventide actually creates depth in the modulation in a different way than the axe does, so it's set by a ms value rather than a percentage...i'm not sure. hopefully cliff will be able to help with this one

I believe I put, spdif for an efx loop option, in the wish list, way back when. I could be very cool.

If you could use the spdif on the Fractals as a loop it would be so badass. I have so much legacy gear I would put in the loop. The whole reason I stopped using the analog loop is because I need out A and B to have separate level controls, one for FOH and one for my wedge on stage so I can turn up/down without affecting FOH.

If you could use the spdif on the Fractals as a loop it would be so badass. I have so much legacy gear I would put in the loop. The whole reason I stopped using the analog loop is because I need out A and B to have separate level controls, one for FOH and one for my wedge on stage so I can turn up/down without affecting FOH.

Absolutely the same for me! I'd love to put my Eclipse in the loop and have output 1 to PA and output 2 to power amp/ cab, both in stereo.

To answer your other point (mine originally), I have learnt to programme the Eclipse ever the years and it is pretty easy for me, however my point was that the Axe-fx is much easier with Axe-edit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom