OMG9 - too much? FM3+EV+Dual Switch Sufficient?

dallasplans

From what I've mapped out, I think the FM3 with one EV and one dual switch would be enough for me. Are there any FM3+FC6 users who, after ample use, feel that fewer switches would be sufficient and/or preferred? Alternatively, is such a notion just crazy talk?

Thanks,
Dallas

This is hard to answer. If you only need 5 switches then that’s sort of that. If you need more, add more.

It’s true that sometimes we take more than we need to a gig. But some just can’t feel comfortable taking exactly enough. I honestly think it comes down to that in most situations.

Most people just want to avoid changing layouts and views and “taking too long” to get to the things they need. Understandable of course.

Most gigs the 3 built in are enough for me. If I’m looping, I can use a 2nd view without adding any switches, but if it’s a heavy loop gig, a stand-in switch for view changing is nice. If I had a gig where I don’t know what I’m playing and need a range of tones and effects to switch, I’d take the FC6 as well.

really depends on what the situation is, and to be honest, some players just don’t know that or they don’t want to figure out what they need. They would just like “more” at the gig and figure it out there. Which is totally fine of course! That just means more switches and gear to take. If you dont take the time to map out what you need, you can’t really blame “just 3 switches” for that.

I have an FC6 that I planned to use with the FM3. I decided that as good as that setup is, I only need the the 3 on the unit itself plus an expression pedal. I routinely have songs in excess of 3 scenes and with a couple of effects to switch on or off. Works great. You just need to be a little creative. Per-Preset layout with Scene Toggles and Views are your friends. Use wisely.

I just sold my AxeFX III and FC-6. The FM3 with two stand-in switches and one expression pedal will meet my needs very nicely. I liked the OMG9 setup, but ultimately the FM3 and FC-6 setup is too big for me. I found that reconfiguring the layouts and using views I can easily navigate to quickly get what I need. Works for me, but may not work for you.

I had a FX3 + FC6. Sold the FX, kept the FC6 when my name came up on the FM3 list.

Caveat - I'm not gigging and probably won't at this point in my life.

I plugged the FC6 into the FM3 once. Decided the footprint was way to big for what I am doing, and the FC6 has been under the table since, and I've not felt that I'm lacking anything. I have settled on a dual external stand-in switch. I'll likely end up selling the FC6.

I guess I will be the odd man here, I like the versatility the FC-6 offers! The greatest thing I liked about the FM is it's expandability, If I don't need it I can leave it and travel light. I might have that occasional gig where I will bring just the FM. Back at the cave I can redock and have it all!

I have an Axe FX3 with an FC 12 which is my "master rig". Nothing beats that and it's totally awesome.
I also have an FM3 with an FC6. I used the OMG 9 workflow for gigs that allow me a small stage space and that is also fantastic. I configured my FC12 to basically match the OMG9 so I I don't have to look down or remember different layouts.
I programed the FM3 to be able to be used by itself, using the OMG9 as the basis for my programming. I use this for the lightest gigs or (when they come back) fly dates. That is also beautiful!

If you're going with the FM3, I strongly suggest the OMG9 set up. It's super versatile.

It really depends on how you like to operate. If you like using scenes with a few on/off switches for FX to supplement the scenes, the FM3 with a 2-button switch can be set up so that it's easy to navigate to what you need without a lot of tap-dancing. If you like a virtual pedalboard, then the OMG9 setup is definitely the way to go.

I went from the Axe iii+FC12 to an FM3 with a dual footswitch+expression pedal. I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the FC12, and most times I don't feel like I even need the dual stand-in switch with the FM3. The updated OMG3 layout that @Patzag posted here has been amazing if you're just using the FM3.

It depends on how you think. If you're a 'scene' guy, the FM3+two buttons can do a lot...especially if you have the FM3 buttons toggle between scenes. If you're a 'virtual pedalboard' guy, I don't know how you'd make that work without an FC.

The updated OMG3 layout that @Patzag posted here has been amazing if you're just using the FM3.
This is really a good setup. I have another controller that I can layout everything on one page and thought I just had to have this "all" setup. I loaded these layouts and modified the effects layout to just use what I have in my presets. So far this FM3 only setup with an expression pedal and stand in switch have worked beautifully. I would have been and was skeptical of this, but it just might be everything I need. I do wish there was one more port for another switch because my "stand in" is actually a 4 button. With the expression pedal in use I can only use two of the buttons.

modified the effects layout to just use what I have in my presets

You may or may not have noticed that effects assigned to switch one can be switched channels by a long-press. So if you assign effects to these switches, make sure you also change the HOLD or it will just switch channel on an effect you might not be using, or worse, that you are using but can't see on the FM3!

Thanks for the feedback though!

My ideal scene is still FM3 + FC6. I just like the option of carrying only the FM3 to smaller gigs. Lazy!

I'd like to be able to hold and switch between Scenes, patches, and individual effects, and have:

1. six different scenes (two per button)
  2. six different patches
  3. three effects toggled on/off
Is that possible? It isn't on the HX Stomp, which makes it very limited.

Perhaps I'd use it with a 2-button switch as well, to advance the banks or something.

I'd like to be able to hold and switch between Scenes, patches, and individual effects, and have:

1. six different scenes (two per button)
  2. six different patches
  3. three effects toggled on/off
Is that possible? It isn't on the HX Stomp, which makes it very limited.

Perhaps I'd use it with a 2-button switch as well, to advance the banks or something.

The problem with your first requirement (six scenes - 2 per button) is that it gives you no way to exit the Scenes mode. You can do it, but you will absolutely need an external switch to return to your Home screen.
If you can limit it to 5 scenes, you can do this without external switch.

The problem with your first requirement (six scenes - 2 per button) is that it gives you no way to exit the Scenes mode. You can do it, but you will absolutely need an external switch to return to your Home screen.
If you can limit it to 5 scenes, you can do this without external switch.

I couldn’t do a press and hold to exit?

Back
Top Bottom