OMG6 for Axe-Fx III?

The FM3 has the "OMG" layouts for use with the built-in three-button layout or the built-in switches plus FC-6.

I read the manual for both the Fx-3 and FC boards and didn't see anything that pointed to a built-in solution, nor did I find anything when searching the Fx-3 forum.

My Fx-3 is on its way, and I already have a FC-6 that I use with the FM3. The FM3 and FC-6 are going to be my traveling solution, and I figured I could let the FC-6 do double-duty with the Fx-3, then realized at that point it'd have three less switches available than the FM3 to control it which, at six, seems pretty limiting. So, is there something similar to the OMG layouts for the Fx-3 plus the FC-6 or should I just bite the bullet and get a FC-12?

The FM3 has the "OMG" layouts for use with the built-in three-button layout or the built-in switches plus FC-6.

I read the manual for both the Fx-3 and FC boards and didn't see anything that pointed to a built-in solution, nor did I find anything when searching the Fx-3 forum.

My Fx-3 is on its way, and I already have a FC-6 that I use with the FM3. The FM3 and FC-6 are going to be my traveling solution, and I figured I could let the FC-6 do double-duty with the Fx-3, then realized at that point it'd have three less switches available than the FM3 to control it which, at six, seems pretty limiting. So, is there something similar to the OMG layouts for the Fx-3 plus the FC-6 or should I just bite the bullet and get a FC-12?
Get a second FC6. ;)

Well, I could but from what I've seen that'd complicate the layout even more.
Didn't have any issues here....
20200918_214534.jpg

In theory could you not get 2 external buttons and set 3 of them up to be like the 3 built in buttons on the FM3? So it could replicate the OMG9 with + an extra button? When I had my FM3 I bought a cheap switch that others recommended off of Amazon and I will probably pick up another when I get my Axe III + FC6.

In theory could you not get 2 external buttons and set 3 of them up to be like the 3 built in buttons on the FM3? So it could replicate the OMG9 with + an extra button? When I had my FM3 I bought a cheap switch that others recommended off of Amazon and I will probably pick up another when I get my Axe III + FC6.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

I may be biased, but a second FC6 offers modularity and reusability of components between rigs, as well as the ability to use twice as many switches and controllers.... ;)

Could you set up a FC12 to act like an OMG9? Except it would be an OMG...12? That's 3 more OMG's!
That's basically what I was thinking, using nine of the switches to act like the OMG9, with the remaining three to act like the switches on the FM3.

So, is that what's already available? The FM3 is pretty upfront about the layouts but I didn't see that in the Fx-3 manual.

I appreciate the visual, but that doesn't do much to explain how you've integrated two FC-6, which is the gist of the question.
Well, I kinda rolled my own sort-of OMG-ish layouts, which I call 6LOL6.... :)

I use the first one for preset/scene switching, with bank switching ans other more 'utility' switches on the 2nd View of the presets layout. The preset switches are set for 1, 2, 3, and 4 in bank and have the layout link set to jump to the scenes layout, view 1 The scenes layout has 1-4 scene switches on view 1 with hold switches to select scenes 5-8, with each hold switch layout linked to switch to view 2. View 2 has scene switches 5-8 with scene switches 1-4 on hold and layout links back to view on the hold switches.

The second one is mostly empty, and is there for per-preset overrides with effect and/or control switches.

I can share these layouts if you'd like to give 'em a try.

Here they are:

Last edited:
I found the information I needed.

In the Fractal document "FC-6 / FC-12 QUICK START GUIDE" they talk about various layouts using a FC-6 or FC-12 with the Fx-3. Layouts 1, 2 and 3, "PRESETS", "SCENES" and "EFFECTS (Bypass)" respectively, are what I was looking for.
Those are the default layouts and can be loaded using the Setup > FC menu in the Axe 3. The OMG9 is a concept to let the 3 switches on the FM3 “control” or change what the 6 switches on the FC6 do using Layout Links to change them.

The “OMG” part of it comes from allowing one unit to control the other, something unique to using 2 separate footswitch units.

So the Axe3 does have a default setup for the FC6 switches, but it isn’t quite like the OMG9.

Those are the default layouts and can be loaded using the Setup > FC menu in the Axe 3. The OMG9 is a concept to let the 3 switches on the FM3 “control” or change what the 6 switches on the FC6 do using Layout Links to change them.

The “OMG” part of it comes from allowing one unit to control the other, something unique to using 2 separate footswitch units.

So the Axe3 does have a default setup for the FC6 switches, but it isn’t quite like the OMG9.
Correct, I get that the FX-3 doesn't have a similar configuration to the OMG9, but then again, with the FC-12 and without the constraint of fewer switches it doesn't need it.

I was thinking of using the FC-6 with it, but that just doesn't really make sense, because it's still three fewer switches than the FM-3 + FC-6, at least for my situation where I have the FM-3 + FC-6 for outside the house, and the Fx-3 permanently attached to the computer for recording. I'd rather bite the bullet and purchase the FC-12 than have to pack and unpack the FC-6 any time I want to take it somewhere or to use it at home with the Fx-3.

Back
Top Bottom