OMG just upgraded from Eleven Rack to Axe FX II XL+

I started out with an eleven rack, too, in 2010. In 2012 I got an Axe-FX II, and the 11R hasn't been powered up since. I'd sell it if I thought anyone would buy it.

The 11R has 2 good things going for it that the axe fx cannot do: xlr mic input with phantom power. And recording at 24 bit 96khz.
Also the 11R has 8 inputs as a recording device, where axe fx has only 4.

People will buy them, but you get maybe $250-$300.
also, I had to set my axe fx buffer to 256 samples, to not have any clipping, while I ran the 11R at 96khz and 128 samples. (2.9 ms latency).

The guitar sound quality is night and day though.

when I started - 9 year ago now (REALLY!!!!!), after the first few days just smiling - I picked 3 amp models - one clean, one crunchy and one high gain. I created a patch with just the amp[ (as I use real PA and cab) - though you would select a suitable cab block as well.

Once done - just play, and change each control in turn - yes all of them - from min to max. You will see what it does to the tone/feel, and to what extent with what amp type (some controls affect clean amps more, others high master vol amps more, other high pre amp gain more). Do the same with the cab block controls. Make notes if necessary - particularly of controls you find make a big difference.

After than - use each amp block on default - and go through all the cab blocks with the 3 types of amps.

Now this may not be fun (or it may - depends on the type of person you are) and will take a few hours - BUT after you have done it - you will have a good handle on what every control does to your sound - and which your favourite cab blocks for each type of tone are.

Its a big time investment at the start - but pays off no end as you start designing and tuning your own patches.

Paul,
It sounds like a great plan. I wish I had the time. But I guess it is all about making the time.

However, I truly appreciate the advise.
I have stored your suggestion for future follow-up.

welcome to the next step in tonal bliss. fractal has a lot more options over the 11R for sure. good tone can be had on either unit, but i find it easier to get satisfaction with the axe-fx II than jumping through all of the hoops i have to jump through with the 11R.

jjc2,

I know how you feel. I have had my Axe FX XL+ for about 2 months and I am still in awe of what it can do.

My favorite patch/tone so far is #95 EJ Clean. It sounds so good with single coil pickups ! - Like butta on my Suhr Classic Pro with the neck Pickup.

Enjoy the ride - there is a great community of uses as well !

Cheers
Ken

I've never had any real luck with the AxeChange presets. The differences in playing, FW level, guitar, and what the other person hears are too stark.

You're better off to tweak the factory presets and start to get conversant with 'what does what'. Check out the huge amount of tweaking and setup tutorials out there...not all with work for you, but it will give you a scope of what DOES work for you...

First off, Welcome Aboard. Dive in and find what sounds good to you.

100% on the above quote. Last night was the first time I had been able to give the AX8 some volume and test in a band situation. Practicing with a new band in a local club some of the presets (AxeChange and elsewhere which sounded great at home) were just not cutting the mix. Even going through the PA. I switched over to a preset I made/tweaked with much better results.

Enjoy the journey.

When i got my XL + in may 2016 I have never made a better purchase in my life . Ive got 2 eleven Racks in the studio they haven't been turned on in a while

Back
Top Bottom