OMG just upgraded from Eleven Rack to Axe FX II XL+

jjc2

I played the 11R for the last 3 years in my studio.
and even though I was happy with it mostly, I was always struggling to get that "sound" out of it that I used to get out of my amps and pedals.

Tonight hooked up my new (and first) axe fx and started on preset 000. (After upgrading firmware to q7.02).
4 hours and 8 scenes later, I was still on preset 0. Had tried it with 4 different guitars, and it was just amazing. The difference is notable. 59 bassman on the eleven rack was good, but here I was blown away.

Sorry to sound like a noob, but if anyone is still hesitating, don't!
They say the axe fx is hard to learn, because there is so much depth, but for a Newby who just started with it I was able to dial in so much tone immediately, which would have taken me hours on the 11R. (Or on amps and pedal boards, try changes those during a gig) and here I can even dial in stuff that on a real amp requires a soldering iron.

In one word awesome. So glad I finally made the investment.

Welcome to the club, @jjc2 ! It's a blast, isn't it? I've been Fractalized for 7 years, and I'm still enjoying the honeymoon. :)

Hi jjc2
Welcome! I did the exact same thing and it's a different world isn't it. :)
Thanks
Pauly

I played the 11R for the last 3 years in my studio.
and even though I was happy with it mostly, I was always struggling to get that "sound" out of it that I used to get out of my amps and pedals.

Tonight hooked up my new (and first) axe fx and started on preset 000. (After upgrading firmware to q7.02).
4 hours and 8 scenes later, I was still on preset 0. Had tried it with 4 different guitars, and it was just amazing. The difference is notable. 59 bassman on the eleven rack was good, but here I was blown away.

Sorry to sound like a noob, but if anyone is still hesitating, don't!
They say the axe fx is hard to learn, because there is so much depth, but for a Newby who just started with it I was able to dial in so much tone immediately, which would have taken me hours on the 11R. (Or on amps and pedal boards, try changes those during a gig) and here I can even dial in stuff that on a real amp requires a soldering iron.

In one word awesome. So glad I finally made the investment.

Welcome to Fractal Land! I hope you have a comfortable seat in your studio. You're fixin' to spend a lot of time in it. ;)

Welcome to FractalLand!

Don't worry about the legendary learning curve - since the last few firmware updates, its gotten easier and easier to dial in whatever sound you're looking for without having to go beyond the basic amp settings, but the deeper options are worth exploring once you've gotten past trying all the amps and presets (which will take some time!).

It's also worth searching through this forum and AxeChange for other users presets relating to any band/guitarist/equipment (amps or effects) that you're interested in and learning from the configurations/settings used.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride!

Welcome! Check out some of the 3rd party apps. Fractool, Fracpad, and Axeview. Fracpad and Axeview allow you to use an interface that looks like a real amp and all the advanced parameters are hidden away. Plus it just looks cool.

Question for you, jjc2.
You spent a lotta time on the first preset, did you experiment with the cabs or stick with the one on the preset?

If so, try changing cabs, it's a way of changing the tone [quickly] without making a ton of adjustments elsewhere in the Amp block.
There are some nice stock IRs on the Axe, have a flip through and see what you like, just use your ears.

Question for you, jjc2.
You spent a lotta time on the first preset, did you experiment with the cabs or stick with the one on the preset?

If so, try changing cabs, it's a way of changing the tone [quickly] without making a ton of adjustments elsewhere in the Amp block.
There are some nice stock IRs on the Axe, have a flip through and see what you like, just use your ears.

Not yesterday, but did this morning. It makes a lot of difference what cab you use. Wow.

I also installed some patches from exchange but removed most again, due to horrible feedback issues. It is like there is a Tick at the time of preset change that crates feedback to the point where it is just a pulse based on BPM. Does anyone know why that is?

I used fractool to move them to the axe fx. Is that the problem?
Help is appreciated.

Gah not another user!

I feel less special as time moves on....

Oh yeah you might find many axe change presets are ULTRA LOUD due to firmware changes from when they were made many moons ago in a different axe universe.
You probably need to learn how to level your preset levels

I've never had any real luck with the AxeChange presets. The differences in playing, FW level, guitar, and what the other person hears are too stark.

You're better off to tweak the factory presets and start to get conversant with 'what does what'. Check out the huge amount of tweaking and setup tutorials out there...not all with work for you, but it will give you a scope of what DOES work for you.

And from your earlier comment...the cab IMO has the greatest effect on tone; look for those tutorials 1st (generally, how you can make almost ANY cab sound good with any amp.)

Lastly, the search button is your friend. I can guarantee that every question you have has been answered numerous times (with the possible exception of 'Why is my wife/husband/other pissed because I won't stop playing?' And even then, there are probably a few threads that advise on relationship management and Axe FX addiction.)

Poke around the other areas of this forum, IR's and Cabs, preset exchange, amps and cabs.

Good playing.

R

Welcome to FractalLand!

Don't worry about the legendary learning curve - since the last few firmware updates, its gotten easier and easier to dial in whatever sound you're looking for without having to go beyond the basic amp settings, but the deeper options are worth exploring once you've gotten past trying all the amps and presets (which will take some time!).

It's also worth searching through this forum and AxeChange for other users presets relating to any band/guitarist/equipment (amps or effects) that you're interested in and learning from the configurations/settings used.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride!
Couldn't agree more!

I started out with an eleven rack, too, in 2010. In 2012 I got an Axe-FX II, and the 11R hasn't been powered up since. I'd sell it if I thought anyone would buy it.

Back
Top Bottom