OMG AX8 on my Fav Guitar Amp config

DaveO

Fractal Fanatic
So I have been a AX8 user for many years I have been practicing and recording with my AX8 on my Windows DAW for years, the other day "my first time" I spent a day configuring my presets without a speaker and amp simulator blocks using my two Marshall JCM800 and 1960 cabinets with loaded with EVM12L's and what a revelation... I have never heard the effects blocks sound so good, frankly I was blown away especially the esoteric drive block nothing short of amazing... Question if I go to FRFR amplification will I be equally amazed or will I be disappointed?

Most likely not - FRFR cabinets do not have the same three dimensional distribution of sound as guitar cabinets. Guitar cabinets shoots different frequencies in different directions. It is really not a desirable quality, but it can sound absolutely glorious in the room.

You’ll be disappointed compared to your 1960’s because you’ll be hoping for similar sound and feel of the 1960’s.

To me, frfr setups are very much function over form. They are amazing for consistent tone, for taking to gigs and knowing what you programmed will work with maybe minor eq tweaks, and with sending your tone straight to a daw for recording and being mostly there. But for jamming in the room, it’s something you get used to because you need the other benefits, not something you love so much that you replace all your traditional gear.

This is, of course, my opinion. Others I’m sure will chime in with the opposite, but this is my experience and it’s based on playing death metal high gain stuff. Frfr just doesn’t come close to comparing for me when it comes to tone and feel in a rehearsal space.

It sounds like you’ve been playing through studio monitors or headphones...expect that tone and feel but louder with a little more oomph behind it.

I usually run stereo with a FRFR and 2x12 and think it sounds better than either alone. One thing that I picked up from Leon that made a huge difference for the 2x12 is setting the cab resonance to match the cabinet. Night and day.

I usually run stereo with a FRFR and 2x12 and think it sounds better than either alone. One thing that I picked up from Leon that made a huge difference for the 2x12 is setting the cab resonance to match the cabinet. Night and day.

@WahooNC I use a Xitone single 12". Looks like you use Leon's resonance trick on FRFR as well? Not using a traditional guitar cab, but wondering if this can improve overall tone in an FRFR rig as well.

So I have been a AX8 user for many years I have been practicing and recording with my AX8 on my Windows DAW for years, the other day "my first time" I spent a day configuring my presets without a speaker and amp simulator blocks using my two Marshall JCM800 and 1960 cabinets with loaded with EVM12L's and what a revelation... I have never heard the effects blocks sound so good, frankly I was blown away especially the esoteric drive block nothing short of amazing... Question if I go to FRFR amplification will I be equally amazed or will I be disappointed?

When you were recording into your DAW for all those years, what was your listening device?
I'm assuming studio monitors? If so, you're already using FRFR.
And you'll get something similar our of a larger FRFR speaker....just louder and moving more air.

Do you use parallel setting ?

Leon´s resonance frequency trick only works if you have power amp simulation enabled, right?

In my setup, power amp simulation makes things squishier and somewhat muted, I´m running either my 2x12 avatar (v30 and H30) with a small 45 watt class D power amplifier or directly to the effects return on a peavey windsor studio that I swapped the stock speaker for a WGS Veteran 30, I´m digging the portability and the tone I get with the small combo.

@WahooNC I use a Xitone single 12". Looks like you use Leon's resonance trick on FRFR as well? Not using a traditional guitar cab, but wondering if this can improve overall tone in an FRFR rig as well.
I haven’t played through a Xitone—maybe one day!—but I would think so. The frequency sweep is easy enough to do.

Last edited:
I haven’t played through a Xitone—maybe one day!—but I would think so. The frequency sweep is easy enough to do.

I have a Xitone and used Leon's sweep trick to eliminate an unwanted frequency and it really cleaned up the tone on that preset. I need to get off my ass and do it for all of my presets. I also need to see where the 'wanted' thump frequency is and juice it to get possibly more oomph, but I figure it sounds good now and the less I jack with it the better. Plus I think the tip is intended for guitar cabs, not FRFR. But it works the for the opposite effect as I've applied it.

Back
Top Bottom