OMG 9 without FC-6: How to use the 3 switches by themselves

This thread is representative to me of so very many threads on this forum, threads which fly so far beyond my understanding that even asking a focused question seems extremely difficult for me. I would like to try, however, and please -- no offense is intended towards the OP:

Although I have never tried to do it, the user manual leaves me with the impression that the foot-switches can already be programmed from within the Edit Layout page to control pretty much any function the user wants. If that is indeed the case, I just don't understand what is being shared with these custom foot-switch layouts that wasn't already an option in the FM3?

Totally fair question. I will answer briefly. Matt Picone created an application which allows FM3 users that own an FC6 to operate at a very high level of efficiency - it was dubbed the OMG-9. What was pointed out was that if one wants to operate the FM3 WITHOUT the FC6, the OMG-9 did not offer a simple and embracive method of using the FM3. The unit felt somewhat crippled without the FC6.

I created custom layouts that can be used alongside the OMG 9 (as well as for those who don't own an FC6) that emulate the complete functionality of the OMG-9 using only 3 switches. Many have used this with satisfactory results.

I'm sure that anyone with a bit of time invested can figure out a similar system.

Why I did this: to help, to challenge myself, to fulfill a request from some users, and to have some fun!

Totally fair question. I will answer briefly. Matt Picone created an application which allows FM3 users that own an FC6 to operate at a very high level of efficiency - it was dubbed the OMG-9. What was pointed out was that if one wants to operate the FM3 WITHOUT the FC6, the OMG-9 did not offer a simple and embracive method of using the FM3. The unit felt somewhat crippled without the FC6.

I created custom layouts that can be used alongside the OMG 9 (as well as for those who don't own an FC6) that emulate the complete functionality of the OMG-9 using only 3 switches. Many have used this with satisfactory results.

I'm sure that anyone with a bit of time invested can figure out a similar system.

Why I did this: to help, to challenge myself, to fulfill a request from some users, and to have some fun!

And we appreciate it. I use this as my main layouts and just made a couple changes that suit my specific needs. I would maybe never be able to figure how to set those switches by myself in such an efficient way

Same here ... I was thinking I would need an FC-6 and dreaded the thought hauling it to gigs. I then loaded Patzag's OMG3 and am totally happy with using the FM3 alone. Thank you sir!!

Loving the OMG3, it’s a must try for FM3 users.....as you can always go back to factory OR the pre saved layout scheme you had. Thanks to Patzag and Big Rex for this !

Questiion, for those running OMG3 AND have the Dual Mosley switch.......how have you changed or integrated the extra 2 Stand in switches with OMG3
cheers !

I created custom layouts that can be used alongside the OMG 9 (as well as for those who don't own an FC6) that emulate the complete functionality of the OMG-9 using only 3 switches. Many have used this with satisfactory results.....
Patzag,
Thank you for the kind and detailed reply to my question. I am book-marking this thread, so that I can easily come back to this one day when my technical ability is more developed (hah!), and I can then try your layout myself.
Thanks again.

A brilliant application was created by @Admin M@ to integrate the FM3 with the FC6. He dubbed it the OMG9 and it is really a ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy!

Awesome and killer app...... If looper not used anyhow,then LV4 and LV7 on FM3 will work?
Further, 2-button momentary switch trigger scene 7 and 8,espectively...I'm afraid FM3 hault!

Last edited:
Thank you Paz for creating and the rest of you for patiently holding my hand. You guys saved me $500. I REALLY did not want to spend the money, or haul more gear gigs. I am now using the FM3 exactly the way I envisioned at purchase. Tested the layout at rehearsal this weekend and it's solid. I also am now going to tweek a few minor things for my brain flow. Trusty security blanket Ax8 is going to make someone on Craigslist very happy soon.

Have had the FM3 3 days now and loving it, wasn't sure on the 3 buttons and in fact the thought of only 3 buttons was a major turn off for me, but... I installed the OMG3 last nite and it is not only intuitive, the flow just works. I don't really use the looper so I may try to figure out something else to utilize what I would use. Great job Patzag and anyone else involved.👍

I really want join this party.....mainly because the three-button foot-switching has been the bane of my FM3 ownership....I think the AX8 ruined me.

In the event that I try these layouts and somehow create some issues, will a factory re-set put the foot-switch layouts back to original (without losing custom Presets, etc)? I just want to make sure I can get back to "square one" if I need to.

In the event that I try these layouts and somehow create some issues, will a factory re-set put the foot-switch layouts back to original (without losing custom Presets, etc)? I just want to make sure I can get back to "square one" if I need to.
Yes.

Patzag,
I feel compelled to report that -- despite my apprehension at loading new footswitch layouts -- I successfully loaded yours. I cannot account for exactly why your foot switch layouts feel so much easier to navigate....but -- at least for me -- they do. I found myself moving through presets, then scenes, and then effects......all without having to refer back to the user manual (which I have now read in its entirety). For some reason, your approach to the foot switch layouts just seems to be wonderfully intuitive to me.

If you ever feel so inclined to elaborate, I would be interested to know how you came up with your layout design (or is it designs [plural], as I guess there are three layouts which interconnect in your implementation?), but for now, I just want to express a sincere THANK YOU for creating and sharing these layouts......this REALLY helped me move forward in my use of the FM3.
Thanks again.

Patzag,
I feel compelled to report that -- despite my apprehension at loading new footswitch layouts -- I successfully loaded yours. I cannot account for exactly why your foot switch layouts feel so much easier to navigate....but -- at least for me -- they do. I found myself moving through presets, then scenes, and then effects......all without having to refer back to the user manual (which I have now read in its entirety). For some reason, your approach to the foot switch layouts just seems to be wonderfully intuitive to me.

If you ever feel so inclined to elaborate, I would be interested to know how you came up with your layout design (or is it designs [plural], as I guess there are three layouts which interconnect in your implementation?), but for now, I just want to express a sincere THANK YOU for creating and sharing these layouts......this REALLY helped me move forward in my use of the FM3.
Thanks again.

Wow. Thank you. Lots of high praise there! I'm blushing!

As I said before, the credit belongs first to @Admin M@. The OMG9 is really the genesis for this concept of a home-base that dispatches to the various layouts/views which make up what users are now calling OMG3.
Next was dedicating a single switch (Hold Switch 2) to be able to come back HOME from any view or layout. That offered a simple way back which is the stable datum around which everything is anchored.
Lastly was making best use of Views to be able to reach many functions using 3 footswitches.

Like many, 3 seemed to me to be too few. But the very powerful Layout/Views navigation system made just about everything possible.

The programming team and the designers have knocked it out of the park. I'm happy to be able to contribute to that motion!

So If you are not starting with omg9 is there anything you have to do besides importing the layouts to their proper positions in FC setup? ie Dont need to make layout 4 default or set to bank 3?
Thanks so much for this, I'd be too old to play before I figured this out;)
arniez

So If you are not starting with omg9 is there anything you have to do besides importing the layouts to their proper positions in FC setup? ie Dont need to make layout 4 default or set to bank 3?
Thanks so much for this, I'd be too old to play before I figured this out;)
arniez

Regardless of whether you're coming from Factory Presets, OMG9 or your own brand of Layout Cooking, to get the FM3-Only system working, you'l need to make Layout 4 default and set bank to 3. Otherwise when you power up, the FM3 will go to whatever default is set and you'd have to manually navigate to Layout 4 to start using it.

Greetings all, I previously loaded up OMG 9 and just installed the "OMG3" as instructed at the top of this post. Works great, however when I go back to OMG9 on layout 8 (which is my default), I'm still just showing 3 presets still on the FC6. The top row is listing the same preset 3 times. I have changed the bank size back to 6, before powering on the FC6. Any ideas how to get back the 6 preset view? Would like to use OMG9 most of the time but have the ability to just use the FM# using OMG3 when needed. Thanks in advance!

Greetings all, I previously loaded up OMG 9 and just installed the "OMG3" as instructed at the top of this post. Works great, however when I go back to OMG9 on layout 8 (which is my default), I'm still just showing 3 presets still on the FC6. The top row is listing the same preset 3 times. I have changed the bank size back to 6, before powering on the FC6. Any ideas how to get back the 6 preset view? Would like to use OMG9 most of the time but have the ability to just use the FM# using OMG3 when needed. Thanks in advance!
Hi.
You have Bank Size selected at 3. When using OMG 9, Bank size needs to be 6.

To recap: FM3 alone: Bank size 3, Default Layout: 4
OMG 9 - Bank Size 6, Default Layout: 8

EDIT: PLEASE SEE THIS POST TO OPERATE OMG 3 WITH BANK SIZE 6
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...emselves-to-do-everything.161070/post-2030463

Last edited:
Hi.
You have Bank Size selected at 3. When using OMG 9, Bank size needs to be 6.

To recap: FM3 alone: Bank size 3, Default Layout: 4
OMG 9 - Bank Size 6, Default Layout: 8
Hello, thank you for quick response. I have changed bank size back to 6 though for omg9 layout 8. Omg layout is good but still shows only 3 presets even though bank size is changed back to 6. Reinstall perhaps?

Hello, thank you for quick response. I have changed bank size back to 6 though for omg9 layout 8. Omg layout is good but still shows only 3 presets even though bank size is changed back to 6. Reinstall perhaps?
What do the other three switches show?

Hello, switches 4-6 show same as switch 3. Perhaps the pics will help?
Not sure if the fc6 pic came out. Here’s another. In preset mode, switches 1-3 show the 3 different presets and switches 4-6 show same preset as switch 3 (in all banks).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom