Omega Massif sludge/doom tones?

First of all:
I think it's awesome, that you listen to Omega Massif. It's a shame they don't exist anymore :(

My band aims for a somewhat similar sound, so I might be able to help you.

What does the rest of your equipment look like? We just recorded our second album and I played through a Mesa Poweramp into "real" cabs. I also took IRs of the cabs, but if I play my patch at home (volume) it's a bit boring. But if you can turn it up it slays ;)

If you'd like to I can share my (XL) patch. I don't know if it's of much help though, because my cabs are kinda special (Ampeg V9 9x10(!) and Magnum 8x10) and everything is tuned to sound good with those.
I like to start with semi-clean amps, in this case the Ampeg and the Fender Bassman (I think?) and put a Drive in Front. I think it was the octave fuzz, but I'd have to check.

It's a shame that there is still no Sunn Amp in the Axe...

First of all:
I think it's awesome, that you listen to Omega Massif. It's a shame they don't exist anymore :(

My band aims for a somewhat similar sound, so I might be able to help you.

What does the rest of your equipment look like? We just recorded our second album and I played through a Mesa Poweramp into "real" cabs. I also took IRs of the cabs, but if I play my patch at home (volume) it's a bit boring. But if you can turn it up it slays ;)

If you'd like to I can share my (XL) patch. I don't know if it's of much help though, because my cabs are kinda special (Ampeg V9 9x10(!) and Magnum 8x10) and everything is tuned to sound good with those.
I like to start with semi-clean amps, in this case the Ampeg and the Fender Bassman (I think?) and put a Drive in Front. I think it was the octave fuzz, but I'd have to check.

It's a shame that there is still no Sunn Amp in the Axe...

Wow that's a very unique cab setup, I'd assume my standard 4x12s would sound completely different. My live rig is:
Ibanez RGD (Drop-A) (Railhammer Anvil Bridge Pup) -> AxeFx -> Matrix power amp -> Voodoo Amps 4x12 (v30/K100) -> Mesa 4x12 (v30s)

My band is working a full length and I want to get the tones somewhere between where we were and Omega Massif. This is where our tone was...

Black Table (Spotify): http://open.spotify.com/artist/4mGa145Sm7SUToFZmqJy2d

Last edited:
One of the first (and actually one of the few) tone matches I ever did was from the track Arcanum from their EP Geisterstadt, basically because it has kind of an isolated guitar track in the intro.
I can't remember what amp I used for the preset but I'm pretty sure it was one of the high gainers, maybe one of the Bogners or Diezel or the likes. It ended up sounding pretty similar, but it was quite a few Firmwares ago, so probably not so acuirate nowadays.
Anyway, it's great to see some Omega Massif appreciation around here and no matter what they say,

We need more doom in the AXE!!!!!!

Yea tade they are one of my favorite bands, it's sad they are no longer together. I guess I could do a tone match... I just have this aversion to using that function on the AxeFx. I want to be able to create it the semi traditional way haha, also I'm not looking to copy it but more understand how they got it so I can go from there. Thanks for the help!

Wow that's a very unique cab setup, I'd assume my standard 4x12s would sound completely different. My live rig is:
Ibanez RGD (Drop-A) (Railhammer Anvil Bridge Pup) -> AxeFx -> Matrix power amp -> Voodoo Amps 4x12 (v30/K100) -> Mesa 4x12 (v30s)

The other guitarist in my band plays a "traditional" setup with a Germanium Big Muff into a VHT Deliverance into a 4x12 and a 2x15. I had to tweak my sound to be heard, believe me ;) So you might also try this as an effects/amp combination.

Regarding the sound of your band: It's actually pretty cool, but a bit to modern for what you're aiming for.
What I(!) would suggest:
  • Your amp sound needs more "grit". Hard for me to describe in english... ;) It's too tight and needs to be more saturated in a way most modern guitarists would hate. I played around with the JTM 45 today - as suggested above - and it's pretty cool for this kind of stuff. As is the Bassman or the Orange.
  • Try other speakers. We also tried the V30s, but in our case they didn't fit this style of music well.
  • Try out some fuzz settings in the Axe. Seems like you were mainly going for distortion instead of fuzz on your record, so if that's more what you like that's fine :)
  • The bass player of your band needs to change his sound too. It only gets fat, when everyone helps ;) A friend of mine plays bass through a Sunn Beta Lead with everything maxed and it sounds amazing combined with guitars. Your bass-sound is pretty clean, which can be cool, too, but normally doesn't occur in this kind of music.
  • I don't know about your band, but if you can/want to you might integrate some moog sounds as layers below your guitar. This really(!) fattens up the sound. We started doing it on our last record and it was so cool, that we did a lot more synth stuff on this record. If you don't want them to people will never guess there are synths involved, but it will sound awesome ;)

And while we're at it:
Here's another amazing band you might have heard of:

And it's a bit embarassing after all these amazing sounds, but here's an excerpt from our last album (my sound is recorded with an Axe Std.... We mic all the stuff so I mainly used it as a preamp. The next record is in the mixing phase and will sound x-times better, believe me ;) ). My guitars come in at 0:22 and are generally more on the right.

The other guitarist in my band plays a "traditional" setup with a Germanium Big Muff into a VHT Deliverance into a 4x12 and a 2x15. I had to tweak my sound to be heard, believe me ;) So you might also try this as an effects/amp combination.

Regarding the sound of your band: It's actually pretty cool, but a bit to modern for what you're aiming for.
What I(!) would suggest:
  • Your amp sound needs more "grit". Hard for me to describe in english... ;) It's too tight and needs to be more saturated in a way most modern guitarists would hate. I played around with the JTM 45 today - as suggested above - and it's pretty cool for this kind of stuff. As is the Bassman or the Orange.
  • Try other speakers. We also tried the V30s, but in our case they didn't fit this style of music well.
  • Try out some fuzz settings in the Axe. Seems like you were mainly going for distortion instead of fuzz on your record, so if that's more what you like that's fine :)
  • The bass player of your band needs to change his sound too. It only gets fat, when everyone helps ;) A friend of mine plays bass through a Sunn Beta Lead with everything maxed and it sounds amazing combined with guitars. Your bass-sound is pretty clean, which can be cool, too, but normally doesn't occur in this kind of music.
  • I don't know about your band, but if you can/want to you might integrate some moog sounds as layers below your guitar. This really(!) fattens up the sound. We started doing it on our last record and it was so cool, that we did a lot more synth stuff on this record. If you don't want them to people will never guess there are synths involved, but it will sound awesome ;)

And while we're at it:
Here's another amazing band you might have heard of:

And it's a bit embarassing after all these amazing sounds, but here's an excerpt from our last album (my sound is recorded with an Axe Std.... We mic all the stuff so I mainly used it as a preamp. The next record is in the mixing phase and will sound x-times better, believe me ;) ). My guitars come in at 0:22 and are generally more on the right.

Oh shit, somehow I missed this nangillala.
Thanks so much for all the info. I'm going to try all of this stuff. I'm definitely looking to move towards a less tight and more gainy sound. I'm not sure if fuzz will be the answer but I'll mess around. Thanks and your band sounds great!

Last edited:
Thanks man.
Keep us updated on your progress. It's a cool topic we should continue to discuss ;)

Our new record will be mixed in about two weeks. I'm looking forward to post sound samples. It will be awesome :eek: :lol

Back
Top Bottom