Old X/Y feature from the AX8

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Is this available on the FM9? I didn’t see anything in the manual about it. How do you toggle thru the 4 banks in a block via a switch? If not, how do I simply set up a long hold X/Y function?

Also in a separate question, why do effects not present in a preset appear as a foot switch? Shouldn’t presets populate my switches? This is not happening for me. I see effects greyed out. Seems like a waste of valuable real estate.

X/Y is now A/B/C/D. For switching, you can use Effect > Chan Toggle with a Primary and Secondary Channel to toggle between any two.

Not sure I understand the second question.

X/Y is now A/B/C/D. For switching, you can use Effect > Chan Toggle with a Primary and Secondary Channel to toggle between any two.

Not sure I understand the second question.
Can C and D remain unpopulated so the toggle just goes AB? I’d imagine the work around would just be copy a to c and b to d.
Edit; apologies. I see you answered that.
My second question refers to my switches in effects mode. I see switches greyed out because a particular effect does not exist in a preset. Can I on a preset basis change the order and assignment of these switches so this never occurs?

My second question refers to my switches in effects mode. I see switches greyed out because a particular effect does not exist in a preset. Can I on a preset basis change the order and assignment of these switches so this never occurs?

Yes you can use Per-Preset placeholders for the switches in your layout and define up to 24 per preset switch setups for each preset. You can also use Per Preset Overrides with those 24 switch definitions as well if you only need to change a couple of switches here and there.

Thanks (everyone). The footswitch page is new to me. I need to poke around in it when I get a chance. My questions were based on my (rushed to stage) gig. I only had a day with it!
At first glance the footswitch setup looks a bit more convoluted than the ax8, but is way more powerful and customizable, just take a bit of time to study it

At first glance the footswitch setup looks a bit more convoluted than the ax8, but is way more powerful and customizable, just take a bit of time to study it
Yea certainly seems so. I’m reading the section in the manual right now. Wish I was in front of my board there’s so much I’d like to now change.

I guess I should have been more specific. Let’s say you have it set for Primary and that is A. Does it just display the letter A?

Is this available on the FM9? I didn’t see anything in the manual about it. How do you toggle thru the 4 banks in a block via a switch? If not, how do I simply set up a long hold X/Y function?
In the FC Edit screen in Edit, or the front-panel, you can define a switch to toggle between two channels, or increment/decrement and step through them all. It’s under the options for “Effects”.

See p. 8 in the Footswitch Functions Guide.

For example, I have the Tap function on a switch set to enable/bypass the Rotary block. The Hold function increments the channels from A-C and wraps back to A. “A” is the slow speed, “B” is fast, and “C” is the brake/stop position on a Leslie. The mini-scribble strip is set to Custom and is defined as “Slo/Fst/Bk”.
Also in a separate question, why do effects not present in a preset appear as a foot switch? Shouldn’t presets populate my switches? This is not happening for me. I see effects greyed out. Seems like a waste of valuable real estate.
Because, in the Effects layout they predefined some blocks as examples. (They’re static but you can change them to whatever you want.)

Instead, use the Per-Preset definitions and layout(s). You can define which Per-Preset Override “slot” you want an effect to reside in when that preset is selected, with up to 24 available positions, 12 tap + 12 hold. I use that layout instead of Effects and it always has just the effects I want and need.

See p. 16 in the same manual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom