old standard you hated to play!!!

guitarded

Experienced
when i was in a band... playing bass... I HATED having to play "Old Time Rock n Roll"
It was on the list almost every gig! MAN did I grow to hate that song... wont listen to it to this day!

LOL. When I saw the title of the thread "Old Time Rock n Roll" was the first thing that popped into my head. I agree that I grew to hate that song... it was one that I had to not only play, but sing. Drove me nuts, but the crowds seemed to dig it.

Rock and Roll Fantasy-Bad Company that solo is awful I soon after realized i don't like doing cover songs and haven't been in a cover band since.

- Sweet Hole Alabama
- Pissing on the Dock of the Bay
- Walk off Life (Dire Straits)
:-x

I enjoyed playing "Proud Mary" because we had a female singer that made it hotter than Tina Turner, and we played it heavy like Van Halen style.

The good thing about covers comes when the band has sufficient initiative to not to replicate an exact copy, and create a more interesting version. But it doesn't happen often.

Centerfold by j giels.Always hoped the club had a baseball game on the bigscreen so i had something to do during that song.The thing that really got me was stopping to get gas at 3 in the morning after a gig and hearing half our setlist on muzak while filling up.

I don't know what it was about OTRnR... I played plenty of other songs just as much, including several mentioned here, that I still enjoyed playing gig after gig. But that ONE song! ARrrggghhhh!!!!
Looks like Proud Mary may be in the lead here though... Never had to play that one.

I've discovered there's a regional element to this.

US - Old Time Rock and Roll.
Australia - Eagle Rock and Khe Sanh
South Africa - Brown Eyed Girl
Malaysia - Lady in Red (I shit you not)

I had to learn to play " Play that funky music white boy" for some private party's" I'm so tired of that song! We learn " There's only one way to rock" Rainbow in the Dark" and " 18 and Life" the dance floor was empty! Then we started to play Muse's Uprising and the whole place when nuts!

Back
Top Bottom