• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Old school sound of Swedish metal.

jsl2h

Experienced
All i know is I've never been disappointed by Cliff yet, so even if it takes a while I'm gonna stay in anticipation mode. He will hear our cries.... soon :)

Gamechanger

Inspired
All i know is I've never been disappointed by Cliff yet, so even if it takes a while I'm gonna stay in anticipation mode. He will hear our cries.... soon :)
All I can say is that I have NEVER seen anything like what FAS "Cliff" does here. With people like M@, Java, Cooper and others on board here, I feel the Axe-FX is the best single purchase for music that I have ever made. Just keeps on giving ! How many devices have a wish list section that you can actually make a request ! I have had more updates on the XL than All of my other devices combined.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to anticipation mode :)

Funeral

Fractal Fanatic
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Back to anticipation mode :)
lol. :p

Just an FYI, two of my clients on international tours have sold their Axe-Fx II's because of this. Both used the II for effects only and have went back to their racked pedal switcher setups.
Nothing I could do. Oh well. Shit happens I guess.
Good luck guys. I hope it happens one day.

Last edited:

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic

Just an FYI, two of my clients on international tours have sold their Axe-Fx II's because of this. Both used the II for effects only and have went back to their racked pedal switcher setups.
Because it lacks a specific Boss pedal?
I question their collective manhood.

Horganovski

Inspired

Seems those guys were too lazy to tweak settings to get the sound they like. Sorry, but IMO there's nothing particularly special about the tone they are trying to achieve, in some ways it would be considered a 'bad' tone really - too much gain, too much top end and mids too scooped. All of which the Axe can definitely give you if you set it right (or 'wrong' depending on your point of view ;) )

It's kind of funny to me almost that some people revere the HM2, I had one and never liked the sound of it. I think it mainly has appeal now because of it being discontinued, the rarity factor has given it kudos it doesn't really deserve IMO. I think there's a good reason BOSS stopped making it :)

Last edited:

da771

Inspired
Seems those guys were too lazy to tweak settings to get the sound they like. Sorry, but IMO there's nothing particularly special about the tone they are trying to achieve, in some ways it would be considered a 'bad' tone really - too much gain, too much top end and mids too scooped. All of which the Axe can definitely give you if you set it right (or 'wrong' depending on your point of view ;) )

It's kind of funny to me almost that some people revere the HM2, I had one and never liked the sound of it. I think it mainly has appeal now because of it being discontinued, the rarity factor has given it kudos it doesn't really deserve IMO. I think there's a good reason BOSS stopped making it :)
BOSS HM-2 is a legendary pedal and it should be in the now legendary processor, it is an axiom !!!

Ben.Last

Experienced
It's kind of funny to me almost that some people revere the HM2, I had one and never liked the sound of it.
So, of course you're the perfect individual to make a determination as to whether the AFX's lack of it is a justifiable reason to ditch the unit. :roll

Horganovski

Inspired
I used the term 'IMO' twice in my statement. Which means 'in my opinion'.

Therefore I made it very clear that this was an opinion I was expressing, not some kind of objective truth ;)

I remain convinced that in my opinion, ditching something as powerful as the Axe FX because it doesn't directly emulate one relatively obscure pedal is kind of silly. Others will disagree, that's totally fine. I'm certainly not a 'perfect individual' and I don't believe such a thing exists :)

Besides - if someone really can't live without a specific pedal, why can't they just keep it and plug it in the front of the Axe like they would with any other amp? Why ditch the Axe just because it doesn't have the pedal built in? Weren't the guys with the old-school Swedish metal tone plugging their HM2s into amp heads in any case? The Axe can still replace those heads.

Last edited:

Ben.Last

Experienced
"Seems those guys were too lazy to tweak settings to get the sound they like"

That's how you started off your post. Seems to me that you were attempting to imply that your opinion is the superior one. THAT'S what I was taking issue with.

Saying, "In my opinion movie X sucks" is a lot different than saying, "In my opinion movie X sucks and, in my opinion, anyone that thinks otherwise is a complete moron."

Does that make sense to you?

Horganovski

Inspired
You're putting words in my mouth now dude, I never called anyone a moron. I did ponder that they might be lazy, and yes I still think that they might be. That's my opinion and yes, I feel it's correct based on my own experience with the Axe FX and my belief that it's incredibly adjustable. If someone says they can't get a particular tone from it, I tend to think they aren't trying hard enough. Poor workman blames the tools as the cliche goes..

Doesn't anyone (apart from the very insecure) tend to believe their own opinion is correct? I work in an artistic field and looking at things and making value judgments on them is a big part of how I make my living. Of course I accept the fact that I'm often wrong, and I do actively seek out other opinions on my work so that I can make better judgements, but if I can't trust my own opinion then I can't work.

Ben.Last

Experienced
I didn't put any words in your mouth. I quoted you and then I provided an example (that I never anywhere implied was direct from you) that demonstrates the fallacy in your defense of your insult.

Of course people tend to believe their own opinions are correct. That doesn't require insulting individuals that don't share that opinion, which is exactly what you just did again in your reply. I'm fairly certain that there's tons of people on this forum alone that could come up with a bunch of sounds that they cannot get out of the AFX. Do you think that they all might be lazy too? Can you get every single tone out of the unit that you want? If there's something that you can't, is it laziness that causes that? Or does this only apply to other people?

How about instead of feeling the need to rally to Fractal's defense and act like there's something potentially wrong with these guys for ditching the unit you either just don't comment (as I don't really see how your post added anything to the thread. You know, the thread that's entirely about the pedal that you dislike) or demonstrate how you've accomplished duplicating the tone of the pedal using the AFX?

Horganovski

Inspired
Calling someone lazy is not a big insult to me. Clearly you have a bee in your bonnet about it though so sure, I'll take your advice and stop contributing here :)

I will answer this though :
Can you get every single tone out of the unit that you want?
Yes, absolutely I can.

da771

Inspired
Calling someone lazy is not a big insult to me. Clearly you have a bee in your bonnet about it though so sure, I'll take your advice and stop contributing here :)

Yes, absolutely I can.
In any case not using the TM unit is the main thing, just pedal and amp with a cab. Get old Swedish sound examples in this thread was enough.

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I'm with Horgan. I think its a shitty sound that could still be nailed with the axe if so desired. My opinion. You don't have to like it. Doesn't make it right or wrong.
As for this pedal being legendary... no. Old muffs are legendary. The goddamn klon is legendary. Bucket delays. Octave fuzz. So on are legendary. This is just a niche pedal and a very limited one at that. A line6 uber metal will give you the same terrible sound for a fraction of the artificially inflated price.
If you still want it, fine, ask away. No one is stopping you. My point from earlier is simply that if someone were willing to ditch the axe over not having this pedal, then they clearly didn't put forth much effort with the unit to begin with.

Hellbat

Fractal Fanatic
This is the right way to use the HM-2.

MetalZone.gif

That's the reason it's not in the Axe, because there's only 2 drive blocks. If you can't do it up right, don't do it.

Rook

Power User

Can you get every single tone out of the unit that you want?
Yes, absolutely I can.
Fortunate for you that you don't want the sound of the HM2 then. I support the request because it is another texture, another flavour that I don't believe is represented in the Axe. Personally I can live without it, but i would take a crazy box full of crossover distortion over another ten minor variations of a Marshall Plexi. Some people revel in the minor differences and I say more power to them. Me, I want different :)

When Cliff is ready, of course...

Dutch

Fractal Fanatic
Just so you know... The US don't respond favorably to blackmail, terrorism and manipulation.

If you want this pedal modeled, consider alternative courses of action.

For me, I don't care for it.

theo

Experienced
"blackmail, terrorism and manipulation." - I don't feel like any of those have been brought up here?

However we're probably being a pain in the arse by not letting this thread die.

Two cents time: Yes the HM2 is definitely a niche sound, not everyone will like it. Taste is subjective, I personally hate the beatles, I find them bland and boring. If I posted that in certain areas online I'm sure I'd have loads of people up in arms. That doesn't matter though, to me they suck. The opposite is also true, I happen to think the HM2 is pretty neat and I also can't manage to get the Axe fx 2 to replicate the way it behaves. If someone is willing to prove me wrong then I'd be delighted.

Top Bottom