• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Old school sound of Swedish metal.

da771

Inspired
Cliff, please include in the new firmware Distortion BOSS-HM2.
I really like the old school classic sound of Swedish metal.
To get the authentic sound emulation needs Boss HM2!!!
The sound is very fat and stringy /
Example Dismember, Entombed, Grave, Demonical, etc.

I think many will be interested in this:twisted

Funeral

Fractal Fanatic
I have messed with the idea a little. Made a post with a clip and patch here.
Got the itch again tonight and I will be updating the patch soon. Im looking
around the net trying to figure out why the HM-2 does what it does, and
closest I can figure out came from this link.
A schematic.

ICs, transistors and diodes used in the HM-2:

IC1-IC3: M5218L or NJM4558S (dual operational amplifiers)
Q1,Q4,Q5,Q10: 2SK30A-Y (Silicon N-channel JFET transistors)
Q2,Q3: 2SC732TM-GR (NPN silicon transistors)
Q8,Q9: 2SC945-P (NPN silicon transistors)
Q6: 2SC2240-GR (NPN silicon transistor)
Q7: 2SA970-GR (PNP silicon transistor)
D1,D3,D5,D8-D12: 1S2473 (switching diodes)
D2: S5500G (400V/1A rectifier diode)
D6,D7: 1S188FM (Germanium diodes)
D13: RD5.1EB-3 (5.1V Zener diode)
D14: SLP135B (red LED)

This is pretty interesting.
"It has an interesting design with both asymmetric soft-clipping diodes, hard clipping diodes and a Ge diode pair in series with the signal for crossover distortion and simple noise gate."
I wish I knew how to apply this information better, but Im new to schematics, diodes, and transistors.
Have a look see and maybe it can be emulated with what we have.

Last edited:

Lilarcor

Inspired
+1

It's hard to get an authentic old school swedish DM tone without this pedal. The Boss Metal Zone is nothing like the HM-2. Maybe someone here owns a HM-2 and could send it to Cliff? These are kinda hard to get hold of nowadays.

Moltenmetalburn

Self-Admitted Software Thief
Sold my mij hm-2 recently. Found it on a shelf in a hippie jam band studio. They said "you can keep it". Threw it in front of my Marshall Jcm 2000 and played dark tranquility riffs . Wish I still had mine too but I made a killing on it and wasn't using it anymore.

Moltenmetalburn

I have messed with the idea a little. Made a post with a clip and patch here.
Got the itch again tonight and I will be updating the patch soon. Im looking
around the net trying to figure out why the HM-2 does what it does, and
closest I can figure out came from this link.
A schematic.

ICs, transistors and diodes used in the HM-2:

IC1-IC3: M5218L or NJM4558S (dual operational amplifiers)
Q1,Q4,Q5,Q10: 2SK30A-Y (Silicon N-channel JFET transistors)
Q2,Q3: 2SC732TM-GR (NPN silicon transistors)
Q8,Q9: 2SC945-P (NPN silicon transistors)
Q6: 2SC2240-GR (NPN silicon transistor)
Q7: 2SA970-GR (PNP silicon transistor)
D1,D3,D5,D8-D12: 1S2473 (switching diodes)
D2: S5500G (400V/1A rectifier diode)
D6,D7: 1S188FM (Germanium diodes)
D13: RD5.1EB-3 (5.1V Zener diode)
D14: SLP135B (red LED)

This is pretty interesting.
"It has an interesting design with both asymmetric soft-clipping diodes, hard clipping diodes and a Ge diode pair in series with the signal for crossover distortion and simple noise gate."
I wish I knew how to apply this information better, but Im new to schematics, diodes, and transistors.
Have a look see and maybe it can be emulated with what we have.

Here's the secret. It's all about the diodes and even Moreso crossover distortion. (Also why the 5150 is the go to metal amp)

Look at the diodes:

D3 , D4, D5 are arranged in a tube screamer like fashion in the opamp feedback loop. One difference is there are three making it asymetrical clipping.

D6 and D7 are arranged inversely and paralell to the signal, these are creating crossover distortion.

D8 and D9 are hard clipping signal to ground.

jayveekay

I still have the MIJ HM-2 I got some years ago for giggles.

I got rid of almost all of my pedals post Axe-Fx II - save for a select few... so, if modeling the HM-2 goes from dream to a task on the list then I could send it from Finland if there's no closer options available.

Funeral

Fractal Fanatic
I still have the MIJ HM-2 I got some years ago for giggles.

I got rid of almost all of my pedals post Axe-Fx II - save for a select few... so, if modeling the HM-2 goes from dream to a task on the list then I could send it from Finland if there's no closer options available.
I dont know about sending your pedal from Finland, but if you have the gear, a DI track of just guitar and the HM-2 might help us get a lot closer on our own.
Im getting pretty close to the Sunlight Studios sound now, I just want to be 100% sure.

jayveekay

I dont know about sending your pedal from Finland, but if you have the gear, a DI track of just guitar and the HM-2 might help us get a lot closer on our own.
Im getting pretty close to the Sunlight Studios sound now, I just want to be 100% sure.
That should work... or, you could send me your DI track and I'll re-pedal it through the HM-2. :)
Would eliminate differences in equipment.

Moltenmetalburn

Recently I shot pink noise through a ts808 just to tone match the frequency response. It worked well.

How about someone tone matches their pedal at full tilt and we then use it to shape a drive block set up for similar distortion adding crossover distortion.

This assume the drive blocks can do crossover either with bias or whatever I don't use them much.

Funeral

Fractal Fanatic
That should work... or, you could send me your DI track and I'll re-pedal it through the HM-2. :)
Would eliminate differences in equipment.
Okay, I will make a DI for you instead. :)

Lots of crossover distortion in that design.
Is there a way to achieve this now? I will do some research on crossover distortion.
Thanks for checking this thread out.

Recently I shot pink noise through a ts808 just to tone match the frequency response. It worked well.

How about someone tone matches their pedal at full tilt and we then use it to shape a drive block set up for similar distortion adding crossover distortion.

This assume the drive blocks can do crossover either with bias or whatever I don't use them much.
Ive thought about this method as well. Thanks for adding ideas to the conversation.

Good stuff so far. :twisted

Top Bottom