Old "newbie" to scenes needs help

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I'm an old-timer (Ultra, then II-XL), but never used scenes as I didn't feel I needed them because I was using one-preset-per-song philosophy.

In an effort to get up-to-speed with technology and try a different approach, I want to use a single "kitchen sink" preset and, of course, I'll need scenes in order to selectively bypass certain blocks in different scenes.

But I'm failing to get it to work for even the most fundamental example: the bypass state of a block (in this case, flanger block). In Axe-Edit, I see I can assign a modifier to the bypass mode (but not to the bypass state). That, of course, doesn't help. On my XL's front panel, I can hit enter on the flanger's block Bypass Mode button, select "Scene 2" as the source, and set min to 0% and max to 100%... which would seem like the intuitive thing to do. However, after doing that, switching between scene 1 and scene 2 does not bypass the flanger block. I also tried setting both min and max to 0% or 100%, still doesn't do anything.

Obviously, I'm missing something fundamental and probably simple. I'd need to be walked through it. I did use the wiki, and even google search, but there are gazillions of hits, none of which (so far) help me. It's probably on page 10,682 of the Google search results.

Help?!?

... and, of course, once I get that simple little thing to work, I'll want simple instructions on using a CC on my foot controller to toggle between scene 1 and scene 2 (haven't found that either), but I digress...

Thanks!

It's a lot simpler than that :). Just select a scene, then bypass/unbypass the blocks as you want them for that scene using the space bar in Axe-Edit. No modifiers required.

Yeah....scenes are simple, but you have to do things in the right order. Or use Scene manager.

When you load a preset without intending to use scenes, you're still using at least one, and it's probably on Scene 1. If not, go ahead and go to Scene 1. Name it. Set all the bypass states the way you want for that scene and press save. Then go to a different scene, bypass and un-bypass as required, click save. Then keep going until you've got them all saved.

In the computer editor, if you open scene manager, you can load a handful of blocks in the view and assign their channels and bypass states in more of an overview kind of way. You can also name all the scenes conveniently.

Doh! Thanks guys! Had no idea it was this simple
There are parts of Fractal stuff that are deceptively simple and others that are incredibly deep and kind of weird.

FWIW, there may be more efficient ways to do that. I'm not sure if you actually need to click save that often, for example. But, I don't really use scenes that much. My switching needs are very simple and straightforward, so I've really only used them to change amp & cab models (via channels) before I realized that I was going to habitually tweak any amp I liked to sound basically the same as every other amp I liked....so I might as well just pick one and quit worrying about it.

Back
Top Bottom