Old Grumpy Ultrafart Emerges From Grave

The best thing anybody making their own patches can do is MAKE A TEMPLATE PATCH FIRST. This can't be overstated enough.
Is there a reason to prefer a template over just making a copy of an existing preset first as a starting point for a new preset?

Is there a reason to prefer a template over just making a copy of an existing preset first as a starting point for a new preset?
Same thing, and same result. When I want to make a new preset that I may gig with, I always copy my existing gig preset, and tweak from there.
Not totally necessary, but can be a time savor - really depends on the user and what they're trying to accomplish.
Sometimes it's nice to start with a totally blank canvas so that you DON'T come up with a similar tone (and/or you can use saved Blocks to bring in a favorite delay setting).

My biggest advice (as having gone from Ultra to Axe2 to AX8 to Axe3 (and FM3) - try all the factory presets.
I'm talking - start with preset #1....play around, try different scenes. See if there is anything you like or learn from it. Then go to preset #2.
You will inevitably find a preset that has something you want/love - and gives you a great starting point for tweaking.

Welcome back, and enjoy!

I feel like I must be missing the point of templates if they really are the same thing...
My guess is that the person who posted that meant - if you have a preset that represents a structure you'd always like to use, then maybe save one copy of it as - 'Template Preset'.
There is no feature in the Axe that is called 'templates', I don't think you're missing anything.
Just someone's preferred naming structure.

Last edited:
My guess is that the person who posted that meant - if you have a preset that represents a structure you'd always like to use, then maybe save one copy of it as - 'Template Preset'.
There is no feature in the Axe that is called 'templates', I don't think you're missing anything.

It's this. Just making a new baseline patch from scratch and naming it "Template" or taking an already-made patch and saving another instance of it named "Template" or whatever is all there is to it.

Whether you make a dedicated template patch or use one of your favorites as a starting point, they both accomplish the same thing, minimizing the work required to get a patch off the ground.

However one advantage I can mention about making dedicated "template" patches over just using your favorite working patches is that dedicated template pathces eliminate the possibility of accidentally saving over your other favorite patches.

It's this. Just making a new baseline patch from scratch and naming it "Template" or taking an already-made patch and saving another instance of it named "Template" or whatever is all there is to it.

Whether you make a dedicated template patch or use one of your favorites as a starting point, they both accomplish the same thing, minimizing the work required to get a patch off the ground.

However one advantage I can mention about making dedicated "template" patches over just using your favorite working patches is that dedicated template pathces eliminate the possibility of accidentally saving over your other favorite patches.
So you just save over your template preset instead. There's no feature to lock specific presets against changes.

So you just save over your template preset instead. There's no feature to lock specific presets against changes.

And if you save over that template preset... who cares, it's a template. The whole reason it's there is to be messed with.

If you save over your favorite patch when you're using it as a template... uh oh, you've lost your favorite patch.

There is a feature in Axe-Edit called a Template... At least with the Axe Fx II.

Mostly I just copy from other presets and use far less with the Axe Fx III and FM9, so not sure that still exists.

There is a feature in Axe-Edit called a Template... At least with the Axe Fx II.

Mostly I just copy from other presets and use far less with the Axe Fx III and FM9, so not sure that still exists.
Is there really? I'll have to take a look. Learn something new every day.

(today I also found a setting in the advanced amp settings for 'output' type. You can chose FRFR or SS Amp & Cab. I had no idea this existed until now)

Is there really? I'll have to take a look. Learn something new every day.

(today I also found a setting in the advanced amp settings for 'output' type. You can chose FRFR or SS Amp & Cab. I had no idea this existed until now)
I think that has been there maybe since Axe Fx II, but it starts to get blurry after a few years of Axe Fx III :)

Back
Top Bottom