Old Grumpy Ultrafart Emerges From Grave

VirgilGuitar

Inspired
Hey All,
First off, I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas! Purchasing an AXE FX years ago ended up being a huge turn of events in my life that brings me to today. I'll talk about those later, but for now, I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered an Fx III yesterday. I'll be eagerly awaiting its arrival as many of you have experienced. TBH, on my Ultra, I spent quite a bit of time tweaking presets that were catered to specific guitars that I have built, so I am wondering if there is any way for me to migrate those reeeeeally old patches to the new machine, or do I simply take notes and try to get it close to what I had before OR... am I probably going to be just as satisfied making my own new patches. I did some searches on this and only found migration from the 2 to the 3. Thank you!!!!!

Starting from scratch is the way to go IMO.
There's enough difference between just firmware revs on the III, I can't imagine mechanically porting from the Ultra will go super well, if there's even a tool for that.
Cruise the factory presets, see what catches your attention, or head for amps and cabs you like IRL.
You'll have a blast.

If you multiply the ultra x5, that's where you will be starting at. Everything has become much, much easier. It seems every time I have rebuilt favorite presets, they are better than before. Sometimes, because I have learned a little more, but mostly from advancements in every area, especially ease of use.

Got my AxeFX iii a couple of days ago. Had an Ultra a few years ago. I have to say, cosmetically and functionally, and even more importantly the sound quality, the iii is a fantastic piece of gear. Slight learning curve but that’s with anything new…even a foot pedal. You’ll love it.

Hey All,
First off, I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas! Purchasing an AXE FX years ago ended up being a huge turn of events in my life that brings me to today. I'll talk about those later, but for now, I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered an Fx III yesterday. I'll be eagerly awaiting its arrival as many of you have experienced. TBH, on my Ultra, I spent quite a bit of time tweaking presets that were catered to specific guitars that I have built, so I am wondering if there is any way for me to migrate those reeeeeally old patches to the new machine, or do I simply take notes and try to get it close to what I had before OR... am I probably going to be just as satisfied making my own new patches. I did some searches on this and only found migration from the 2 to the 3. Thank you!!!!!
Start from scratch, you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Start fresh. Even some of the stuff I created on the Axe FX III when I first bought it, I've recreated or found replacements for. I think I have one Friedman BE that's still the same and that's it.

I too originally started with a new Ultra, but went through a few AF2 units, and now have the AF3 & AF3 MK2.

If you are retaining your Ultra, you could compare sounds after you make a preset on your new AF3. The nice thing about the AF3 is you don’t NEED to go down as many rabbit holes (but you can), in order to get a good sound. It took a minute to realize we must drop an Input and an Output block onto the grid, and connect the dots to have sound pass through, but after that, easy peasey.

Like many others, I expect you love this unit as much as we all do. If you hit a stumbling block, just drop me a DM and I’ll see if I can give you an assist.

Have fun and Happy Holidays.
Lee

Thanks everyone! I got up this morning and said to myself "Fractal Audio will be shipping out this bad boy today I'm guessing"... I stopped by their website to see if they were talking about my new purchase :)tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:) and the site said they are closed today - !!! At first I was bummed, but then realized that they probably need a holiday break as well!!! It's all good - hey, back in the day, you had to wait for them to build these things! Back when we were kids we walked through a mile of snow for an AXE FX SONNY! 👴 I have been watching a few videos on the FX3 and I would have to agree with the consensus that I'll more than likely build some new fresh patches. Through the years, I have built some custom ones (from scratch) as well as modded ones. I am SO excited to get this thing - so one thing I am really excited about (hopefully someone can clarify this) is that I will no longer be using my audio interface because the sound will be coming on to my PC via the USB cable? This would be spectacular, as it will free up a couple of inputs on the Audio interface. Also it looks like I'll be able to use some sends and returns and I may end up running that through the forthcoming patchbay as I would be interested in running my Big Sky reverb with this -although the new reverbs sound pretty amazing already on their own! I'm like a kid on Christmas here.. or a few days after :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

So the new FX3 showed up this afternoon - took a while to actually get the thing going - not sure but it was set up defaulted at digital input on input 1? I found that to be a strange setting defaulted to... any ways, I have had some time to mess with it and my head is spinning so far - really great sounds, not a lot of clean stock sounds so far (I'm about 125 patches in and I DO know about the 8 different scenes each preset has... I'm definitely a kid in candyland right now. This will indeed take some time, but I'm pretty confident I made another great choice here...!!!

So the new FX3 showed up this afternoon - took a while to actually get the thing going - not sure but it was set up defaulted at digital input on input 1?
You're the 2nd person I've seen post that recently.

I think that's a QC mis-step as I'm pretty sure that should not be the default.

Maybe @Admin M@ can confirm?

The best thing anybody making their own patches can do is MAKE A TEMPLATE PATCH FIRST. This can't be overstated enough.

Put all the block you'll want on the grid in the order and routes you'll want, save it, then when you want to make a new patch, just copy and past that template patch first. You'll save yourself a ton of work.

The best thing anybody making their own patches can do is MAKE A TEMPLATE PATCH FIRST. This can't be overstated enough.

Put all the block you'll want on the grid in the order and routes you'll want, save it, then when you want to make a new patch, just copy and past that template patch first. You'll save yourself a ton of work.
That's a good tip assuming that you make most of your presets structurally the same (or similar).

I tend to do that but others not so much. I started using templates with the Axe Fx II and it worked quite well for me.

Alternately, using the Quick Builder mode in Axe-Edit is pretty nice!

And start building up your block library, so when you add things that aren't on your template, or start from a factory preset or one from another user instead of your template, you can quickly add other blocks configured how you like them.

Back
Top Bottom