OK, What's The Real Answer When It Comes To Cables?

To my mind, quality is far more important than fancy features (gold) and name brands (Monster). I am completely unimpressed with claims that one cable sounds better than the next. A cursory review of electrical capacity clearly shows the differences in sound between brands is illusory.

So, for me, I buy hand made cables with superior quality components (these days, Mogami, Neutrik) from reputable, highly rated vendors. Saves me a ton of dough.

For example, I can get a 20’ instrument cable that compares to a $100+ name brand for around $35.

Ed-u-ma-cation is your friend.

To my mind, quality is far more important than fancy features (gold) and name brands (Monster). I am completely unimpressed with claims that one cable sounds better than the next. A cursory review of electrical capacity clearly shows the differences in sound between brands is illusory.

So, for me, I buy hand made cables with superior quality components (these days, Mogami, Neutrik) from reputable, highly rated vendors. Saves me a ton of dough.

For example, I can get a 20’ instrument cable that compares to a $100+ name brand for around $35.

Ed-u-ma-cation is your friend.
Yeah, but how the heck are you supposed to make your frienemies feel inferior with a $35 cable?

Lower capacitance is not always better is it?

For example, didn't Hendrix use a high capacitance coily cable of
immense length that reduced the inherent harshness of his Strat into
Marshall rig??
I would vote that it is. Purposely using a high-capacitance cable to dull your sound, just seems like a band-aid type of approach, especially with all the tools and technology we have available today, that wasn't available 50 years ago. Imo, it would be like using dead strings to get a rounder tone.

Marshall rig??
Depends on your desired result. In his case, it was definitely a factor in his sound. Generally one wants all the top end to come through, though.

Marshall rig??
I think it was the coiled cable because they were prevalent in the mid sixties. Doubtful that he was trying to tame his Strat, as he actually had his marshalls modded to increase high mids...

Oxygen free copper cables... no oxygen to slow down the phase variances between hot tones , anyone who can't tell the difference has no imagination :)
Best-tronics best bang for the buck .

For guitars I am a long time user of Blue Lava, Low capacitance cables. Built like a tank and mid range in price.

All I use are Mogami golds and I can honestly say they're not really worth their price tag lmao. The main selling point to me is that they're stiffer than the majority of cheaper cables and don't become all twisted over time so they are easy to wind/loop/coil up neatly. They do have a lifetime warranty also. Unfortunately, I'm the type that would just deal with it and buy a new cable before I considered sending an old one in.

All I use are Mogami golds and I can honestly say they're not really worth their price tag lmao. The main selling point to me is that they're stiffer than the majority of cheaper cables and don't become all twisted over time so they are easy to wind/loop/coil up neatly. They do have a lifetime warranty also. Unfortunately, I'm the type that would just deal with it and buy a new cable before I considered sending an old one in.
Absolutely not worth the price but the quality is definitely high. Mogami cable is great, but Mogami cables (completed assemblies) are way overpriced.

With passive circuits, cables make a huge difference. Like, the difference between a high capacitance cable (Mogami 2524) and a low capacitance one (Sommer Spirit LLX) can be bigger than swapping between pickups of the same style (HB vs HB, SC vs SC). I prefer cables with middle of the road capacitance, around 80-100 pf/m.

For active circuits, it really doesn't matter much at all.

Back
Top Bottom