Ok to use XLR Y cables on output 1 L&R?

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
on the Axe-FxIII I have plenty of outs but with the FM3 I got today I'm wanting to use output 1 for FOH and two CLR'S with XLR Y cables and output 2 for my in ears. Wondering if I would lose any tone?

I Would think that would attenuate the signal, by half maybe.
This would be great though if it worked, as I could use it for local monitoring as well and regain stereo FXL in/out for OUT2.

your monitor would always have the same volume to it as FOH as well.....

I could use the outs from my CLR'S but turning them off and on might pop through the P.A.

I've got one of these mounted on the underside of my pedal board:

Mackie MDB-2P Stereo Passive Direct Box

You'll need XLR to 1/4 cables, but I've got both XLR out for FOH and 1/4" out for my FRFR monitors. I haven't done an A/B comparison for volume drop, but I've got plenty of signal for my monitors and the tone sounds unaffected.

Probably it's not the absolute best thing to do, but I've used this approach a couple of times, with an Y XLR from output 1 towards PA and IEM mixing console. And it worked. Flawlessly.

Edit to add that when I did this I was actually using the Axe FX II.

on the Axe-FxIII I have plenty of outs but with the FM3 I got today I'm wanting to use output 1 for FOH and two CLR'S with XLR Y cables and output 2 for my in ears. Wondering if I would lose any tone?

Send XLRs from OUT1 into both CLRs, and use the THRU on the CLRs to feed the FOH. Better than using Y-cables.

You have stereo monitors and in-ears going on at the same time?

I Would think that would attenuate the signal, by half maybe.
This would be great though if it worked, as I could use it for local monitoring as well and regain stereo FXL in/out for OUT2.

your monitor would always have the same volume to it as FOH as well.....
This would not attenuate the signal. You could Y the outputs like he first described without issue, though a ground lift might come in handy if you experience a ground loop between the monitor & FOH systems. CLRs (and most powered speaker solutions) have their own level controls so that's not really much of an issue. The other suggestions mentioned are great as well.

Back
Top Bottom