OK to update from v1 to v12?

frankiev

Experienced
I've owned an axe fx 3 since they first came out and i believe it shipped with v1.something. It's been sitting because I developed dermatitis on my fingertips and have been unable to play the guitar . My fingers are clearing up and I'm playing a bit again so I'd like to update to the current firmware . I'm wondering what are the implications of jumping so many firmware versions . What's the best way to update , incrementally or all at once ? Are there any special instructions after updating like toggling amp types etc ? Any advice is helpful

Go for it. No reason to update incrementally.

The only issue you might run into is your presets will sound different so you’ll need to rebuild them. The good news is most people find the most recent firmware requires much less tweaking of advanced settings so a simple amp reset should be enough.

Remember to update Axe-Edit as well.

Thanks guys . I remember in times past when updating firmware on the axe 2 where you had too toggle the amp to something different and then back to reset it . That's not necessary anymore?

Your hair will be blown back. Update both the FW and updated presets. Oh, and don't bother trying to tweak existing presets. Start again.

Thanks guys . I remember in times past when updating firmware on the axe 2 where you had too toggle the amp to something different and then back to reset it . That's not necessary anymore?
that's still a possibility. but that usually comes from completely new parameters being added to the block. the old data doesn't know it's there until you "soft reset" the amp block like you described. release notes will tell when that's needed.

that's still a possibility. but that usually comes from completely new parameters being added to the block. the old data doesn't know it's there until you "soft reset" the amp block like you described. release notes will tell when that's needed.

That's my biggest concern . I'm jumping over 12 sets of release notes .Do I have read all of these and do each required tweak ?

That's my biggest concern . I'm jumping over 12 sets of release notes .Do I have read all of these and do each required tweak ?
As others have said, you might find it easier to update to 12, load the latest factory presets, and start from scratch on your tones. Unless you have stuff you really want to keep but as you've seen, it'll be a lot of reading and attepted tweaks. And if you "soft reset" the amp blocks on them all you're half way to just making them all from scratch again anyway.

I installed the usb driver on my computer and when i connect the axe I get a pop up saying installing driver software that keeps on running and never installs . Any ideas ...win 7 64bit
Nevermind ...took forever but installed ok

Last edited:
why is it so hard to find this stuff when you need it ..lol . How do i install the new banks , axe edit or fractal bot and whats the procedure
I found a bunch of old video and posts from 2013 but nothing current

I've owned an axe fx 3 since they first came out and i believe it shipped with v1.something. It's been sitting because I developed dermatitis on my fingertips and have been unable to play the guitar . My fingers are clearing up and I'm playing a bit again so I'd like to update to the current firmware . I'm wondering what are the implications of jumping so many firmware versions . What's the best way to update , incrementally or all at once ? Are there any special instructions after updating like toggling amp types etc ? Any advice is helpful
You will need to install 12.07 firmware and then load the new factory presets. I would also perform a system settings reset as well.

Back
Top Bottom