Ok, stupid question time again.... help?

AJ 83

ok so in the quest to completely understand how this amazing machine works could someone please tell me the best way to accomplish my goal. Here are the details.

I have a tone that I think is a great starting point to make some very cool Van Halen tones. This sound is located on channel 401 scene 5. I want to copy this tone to channel 405 scene 1. Then I want to add numerous effects to that tone (ie. flanger, phaser, chorus, delay). Then I want to copy that tone to scenes 2, 3 and 4. Then I should be able to turn those effects on and off within the different scenes and save them. So I would have a main Van Halen tone on scene 1 then one with a phaser effect on scene 2, then one with a flanger and some chorus on scene 3 and one with some delay effect on scene 4.

So what is the best way to accomplish this goal????

I know this sounds like an incredibly stupid question, and it may be, but I am trying to gain some level of mastery of the axe fix 3.

Thank you ahead of time for any help!!

Aaron

are you using Axe Edit?

Then it's going to be a pretty straight forward and painless process:

create your base preset

save to new preset number (in your case 405)

add your effects

toggle on what you want on a scene by scene basis

save preset (scene changes don't revert your preset to the saved state; the axe will keep your current state in memory until you change the preset)

hope this makes sense

are you using Axe Edit?

Then it's going to be a pretty straight forward and painless process:

create your base preset

save to new preset number (in your case 405)

add your effects

toggle on what you want on a scene by scene basis

save preset (scene changes don't revert your preset to the saved state; the axe will keep your current state in memory until you change the preset)

hope this makes sense

ok, the process is still pretty much the same, just a tad less visual

create your base preset, hit store, navigate to the new location, hit enter twice

I like to zoom out of the layout to see as many blocks at once as possible, from there you can toggle your FX on and off for the currents scene

ok, the process is still pretty much the same, just a tad less visual

create your base preset, hit store, navigate to the new location, hit enter twice

I like to zoom out of the layout to see as many blocks at once as possible, from there you can toggle your FX on and off for the currents scene

Ok so when I do that it moves all 8 scenes from 401 to 405. I just want to move scene 5 from 401 to 405.

So now an additional question. How to I clear out channel 405 now. It has a name and 8 scenes posted to it. I want to clear 405 out so it is empty. Help???

Thank you by the way.

ah I see: you could go to 405 and copy scene 5 to all 8 scenes as a starting point:

from the manual:

The Tools page of the Layout menu contains a tool to copy one scene to another. (not including the scene name).
This works within a single preset; you can’t copy a scene from one preset to another.

5. Navigate to the Tools page of the Layout menu (grid).

6. Turn the VALUE wheel until “COPY SCENE” is shown on the display.

7. Use the D knob to select the scene you want to copy from. Scene numbers are shown above the knob.

8. Use the E knob to select the location you want to copy to. You can also choose to copy one scene to “ALL”.

9. Press ENTER or the on-screen EXECUTE button (Push-knob C) and the copy operation is completed.

10. Test your preset and remember to STORE to make the changes permanent.

then add your effects in scene 1, go from there

Last edited:
ah I see: you could go to 405 and copy scene 5 to all 8 scenes as a starting point, then add your effects in scene 1, go from there

Yeah that’s my goal. But there are a couple of ways to do it in the owners manual and I’m not sure which one to use. So how would you copy scene 5 of channel 401 to all 8 scenes of channel 405.

And now that I have some thing in channel 405 can’t I reset channel 405? Delete all 8 scenes that are currently in there? And how do I do that?

You can only copy a scene within a preset.

Saving a new preset to that location will overwrite all scenes; they are part of the preset.

So you can keep your copy of 401 in location 405 and copy scene 5 to “all”

a Scene is only the Channel and On/Off of the blocks. the Preset is what determines what blocks are available, and where they are in the grid.

that's why you can't "copy a scene to another preset." the preset determines the blocks.

I’m a rookie but one way I delete all scenes in a preset is by saving a blank preset to the one I want to delete.

Why?

This would all be much easier (and easier to visualize) with the editor.

I haven’t used axe edit because I don’t have a computer near my axe fx. So if I go buy a laptop to use with my axe fx will a laptop work? Or do I need a desktop? Now that I think about it the computer requirements are in the owners manual near the front. If I get a good laptop should I be fine using axe edit?

I haven’t used axe edit because I don’t have a computer near my axe fx. So if I go buy a laptop to use with my axe fx will a laptop work? Or do I need a desktop? Now that I think about it the computer requirements are in the owners manual near the front. If I get a good laptop should I be fine using axe edit?

Any laptop you buy these days is easily going to be able to run Axe-Edit, as long as it has a USB slot.

A laptop is fine. You don’t need super high specs to run axe edit, but if you want to record stuff in the future, I would recommend looking into a macbook pro. Doesn’t have to be a recent one, a 2015 model will absolutely work.

No matter how low the requirements are...it has to be at least a 64 bit system which means old Win7 systems don't work.

Still on my wish list: Getting able to copy blocks or channels on the hardware. That's no fancy stuff, it totally basic. Should we always have a laptop with us when rehrarsing ot gigging in case we change something?

Back
Top Bottom