Ok so what firmware do I have? It's not clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxlgotham

Inspired
I am looking at the screen on the unit of AFX3. It says Firmware 14.01, which matches nothing at all that I see on line. below it says Sep 21 2020, then USB 1.08, then FPGA 16.

The latest firmware download file says 1p10, or 1.10 USB, is that the same thing here and thus more advanced than what's installed? Would be odd given it was released in September 2020, which is when my device says it was last uploaded. I mean, is it so hard to make this crystal clear to people on the screen? I dig this device but honestly, its shrouded in a lot of really bad UX. It's pretty indefensible for something this $$$.

Hi @bxlgotham
Slow down mate, you don't want to appear whiny! :) It's not obvious though I'll give you that!

From your home screen, press Setup (The 'E' button), then choose utilities, then go to the last page (using the page >> key).

An easier way, is to look at the top left hand of the Axe Edit screen. It's just below the 'Connected' green tick.

Thanks
Pauly

I am looking at the screen on the unit of AFX3. It says Firmware 14.01, which matches nothing at all that I see on line. below it says Sep 21 2020, then USB 1.08, then FPGA 16.

The latest firmware download file says 1p10, or 1.10 USB, is that the same thing here and thus more advanced than what's installed? Would be odd given it was released in September 2020, which is when my device says it was last uploaded. I mean, is it so hard to make this crystal clear to people on the screen? I dig this device but honestly, its shrouded in a lot of really bad UX. It's pretty indefensible for something this $$$.

Hi @bxlgotham
Slow down mate, you don't want to appear whiny! :) It's not obvious though I'll give you that!

From your home screen, press Setup (The 'E' button), then choose utilities, then go to the last page (using the page >> key).

An easier way, is to look at the top left hand of the Axe Edit screen. It's just below the 'Connected' green tick.

Thanks
Pauly
Totally got there, just saying that what is displayed is not very easy to interpret when looking at actual firmware download file and notes. They don't have anything between them that would clearly indicate which is more up to date. Appreciate the hand on getting to that screen though :)

I'd argue that it absolutely is clear. The relevant information is presented clearly and is easily accessible. But like any professional tool of sufficient complexity, it requires a bit of learning to use and understand properly. Nobody expects to sit down in an airplane and know what all the knobs and buttons and dials all are for without training, study, and experience. Same thing with the AxeFX, really.

It says Firmware 14.01
That is your firmware version. Which can be found here (which incidentally is the first Google result for "AxeFx Firmware 14.01").

The latest firmware download file says 1p10, or 1.10 USB
This is the firmware specifically for USB. This is not the "AxeFX III Firmware", rather, it's firmware specifically for the USB controller on the unit. You can see the various downloads available for the AxeFX III here (which incidentally is the first Google result for "AxeFX III USB Firmware").

I dig this device but honestly, its shrouded in a lot of really bad UX. It's pretty indefensible for something this $$$.
It's not meant to be "user friendly" in the way term is generally used, which usually means that something is easy for an absolute beginner to understand and use without much learning or training involved. It's meant to be a precision, high performance tool that gives you all the options you need to be able to get the sound(s) you want. It has a lot of features, and a lot of knobs, and it gives you all the relevant information. But it doesn't hold your hand, nor is it designed to. It's a tool that requires some patience to unlock fully.

Spend some time with it, learn the ins and outs, and I'm confident you'll come to understand why it is the way it is. And the good thing is Fractal's always improving things, so it's only going to get better over time :)

I'd argue that it absolutely is clear. The relevant information is presented clearly and is easily accessible. But like any professional tool of sufficient complexity, it requires a bit of learning to use and understand properly. Nobody expects to sit down in an airplane and know what all the knobs and buttons and dials all are for without training, study, and experience. Same thing with the AxeFX, really.

That is your firmware version. Which can be found here (which incidentally is the first Google result for "AxeFx Firmware 14.01").

This is the firmware specifically for USB. This is not the "AxeFX III Firmware", rather, it's firmware specifically for the USB controller on the unit. You can see the various downloads available for the AxeFX III here (which incidentally is the first Google result for "AxeFX III USB Firmware").

It's not meant to be "user friendly" in the way term is generally used, which usually means that something is easy for an absolute beginner to understand and use without much learning or training involved. It's meant to be a precision, high performance tool that gives you all the options you need to be able to get the sound(s) you want. It has a lot of features, and a lot of knobs, and it gives you all the relevant information. But it doesn't hold your hand, nor is it designed to. It's a tool that requires some patience to unlock fully.

Spend some time with it, learn the ins and outs, and I'm confident you'll come to understand why it is the way it is. And the good thing is Fractal's always improving things, so it's only going to get better over time :)
Thanks, that explains the confusion. Yeah it's complex stuff, not surprised it takes time to soak it in. Appreciate u.

I dig this device but honestly, its shrouded in a lot of really bad UX. It's pretty indefensible for something this $$$.
Bad UX?

Fractal is very open to suggestions. Why not create mock-ups for the UI/UX changes you think need to be made and submit them to the wish list. Be sure to explain how their interfaces fail current programming guidelines; being able to point to the appropriate references will help.

You might also mention which of their manuals you read that related to the elements in question and how the manuals failed to explain or clarify the task you wanted to accomplish. Again, they’re happy to accept constructive feedback that helps improve their products.

Bad UX?

Fractal is very open to suggestions. Why not create mock-ups for the UI/UX changes you think need to be made and submit them to the wish list. Be sure to explain how their interfaces fail current programming guidelines; being able to point to the appropriate references will help.

You might also mention which of their manuals you read that related to the elements in question and how the manuals failed to explain or clarify the task you wanted to accomplish. Again, they’re happy to accept constructive feedback that helps improve their products.
I paid my several grand for this box. I'm entitled to provide my impressions of the obtuse and equivocating firmware version screen, without needing to do any of the above. Thanks though, cool story.

I don't really understand what you find ambiguous. Firmware refers to the firmware version of the hardware. USB refers to the USB version. And FPGA isn't something you need to worry about.

Last edited:
I paid my several grand for this box. I'm entitled to provide my impressions of the obtuse and equivocating firmware version screen, without needing to do any of the above. Thanks though, cool story.
Reading the manual is free though, you'd better do it when you buy something that expensive.
It's the lack of knowledge that makes it confusing, not the way the it's displayed.

Last edited:
BTW. This thread has helped me to realize that my USB version was not updated to 1.10, the latest one.

Voila!
20210419_185336.jpg

I was not having any issue using 1.06 with Windows, though.

Last edited:
The confusion stems from the fact that there is a "USB firmware" file on the site. That is the problem. That this "USB" does not refer to the method that you update the firmware of the unit, but rather a USB firmware, is not obvious, and creates the moment of confusion. To be non equivocating, it would say USB Firmware: 1.10, System Firmware: 16.00 beta 12, FPGA Version: 16. The presentation is not uniform, not consistent, and the confusing use of the term firmware in two places, where it is not obvious by glancing (which is all it should take frankly), is the reason for the low marks on this experience. You're free to disagree, and people process information in very different ways, which is why making it clear and consistent would improve this screen tremendously, as would a note in the download readme of the USB Firmware, such as "Note, do not confuse this file with the system firmware, bla bla bla...". Peace to y'all and thank you to those who work on the product.

The confusion stems from the fact that there is a "USB firmware" file on the site. That is the problem. That this "USB" does not refer to the method that you update the firmware of the unit, but rather a USB firmware, is not obvious, and creates the moment of confusion. To be non equivocating, it would say USB Firmware: 1.10, System Firmware: 16.00 beta 12, FPGA Version: 16. The presentation is not uniform, not consistent, and the confusing use of the term firmware in two places, where it is not obvious by glancing (which is all it should take frankly), is the reason for the low marks on this experience. You're free to disagree, and people process information in very different ways, which is why making it clear and consistent would improve this screen tremendously, as would a note in the download readme of the USB Firmware, such as "Note, do not confuse this file with the system firmware, bla bla bla...". Peace to y'all and thank you to those who work on the product.

I really hate to admit it, just because of the way you’ve presented yourself here, but I just checked the download section and scrolled passed the actual firmware because the USB Firmware says “Axe Fx III USB Firmware Update” and the actual firmware just says “Firmware Aries”.

It’s conceivable that someone not familiar with Fractal’s terminology might not understand at first glance. Especially since updatable firmware specifically for a device’s usb controller isn’t exactly common in consumer devices.

Some adjustments to the website copy may in fact help improve the user experience and reduce the occurrence of silly support requests.

I really hate to admit it, just because of the way you’ve presented yourself here, but I just checked the download section and scrolled passed the actual firmware because the USB Firmware says “Axe Fx III USB Firmware Update” and the actual firmware just says “Firmware Aries”.

It’s conceivable that someone not familiar with Fractal’s terminology might not understand at first glance. Especially since updatable firmware specifically for a device’s usb controller isn’t exactly common in consumer devices.

Some adjustments to the website copy may in fact help improve the user experience and reduce the occurrence of silly support requests.
Let's take a look at the language that kicked off this massive avalanche of outrage:

I mean, is it so hard to make this crystal clear to people on the screen? I dig this device but honestly, its shrouded in a lot of really bad UX. It's pretty indefensible for something this $$$.

I can't say I'm impressed with 100% of the (over)reactions and ridiculous degree of sarcasm to an innocuous and legit gripe about this very point. I also don't see the importance of beating the horse dead here, I get it, there's a manual, there are a lot of generous people offering help. There was a ton of snark in response to the original post, what I replied with is fairly mild and offered in between a sandwich of thank you. I'm done with this thread. As I said above in a few places, one more time, thank you, I appreciate it.

The confusion stems from the fact that there is a "USB firmware" file on the site. That is the problem. That this "USB" does not refer to the method that you update the firmware of the unit, but rather a USB firmware, is not obvious, and creates the moment of confusion.

The "Read Me" that's included with the USB firmware zip file clearly explains the method for updating the USB firmware.

To be non equivocating, it would say USB Firmware: 1.10, System Firmware: 16.00 beta 12, FPGA Version: 16. The presentation is not uniform, not consistent, and the confusing use of the term firmware in two places, where it is not obvious by glancing (which is all it should take frankly), is the reason for the low marks on this experience.

I don't understand the ambiguity. While I'm not opposed to changing "Firmware" to "System Firmware", I'm not sure why would anyone surmise that "Firmware" (on the Utilities page) refers to the "USB" firmware version given that "USB" and its corresponding version are clearly displayed directly below it. What else would "USB" refer to except the USB firmware version?

Last edited:
The "Read Me" that's included with the USB firmware zip file clearly explains the method for updating the USB firmware.

I don't understand the ambiguity. While I'm not opposed to changing "Firmware" to "System Firmware", I'm not sure why would anyone surmise that "Firmware" (on the Utilities page) refers to the "USB" firmware version given that "USB" and its corresponding version are clearly displayed directly below it. What else would "USB" refer to except the USB firmware version?

It is clear once you get things figured out (and read the read me). That said, USB specific firmware isn’t a common thing, so new users might not initially understand the difference. Some additional copy to make the download page slightly more clear might be a bit helpful for the newbs.

I just recently updated some instructions for a digital product I sell to help reduce a specific support request I always get. I used screenshots and big red arrows. It’s still not enough to help some users, though. Lol

Reactions: jon
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom