ok...so here's a tip to help you tweak...(may need some help figuring it out though)

The_Kid

Experienced
So the big problem I have found with dialing in patches is that its hard to tweak, play a riff, tweak, play a riff tweak...it would be so much easier to be able to just play and have someone else tweak it...or vice versa. I remember when my other guitarists always got a new multi effects unit or whatever, I loved having them play and being able to dial in the stuff that they wanted...went so much fast it seemed.

AHH....but this black box of beauty offers that to some degree. Enter stage left.....LADIES AND GENTLEMAN CHILDREN OF ALL AGES....HAILING FROM PARTS UNKNOWN.......THE LOOPER!!!

I'm pretty sure at one point I asked a thread about this and forgot about it...not sure how many of the 'newer' forum guys are aware you can do this. I used to have a Boss GT10, and it had a function where you could record a certain amount of playing, then play it back on a loop and tweak away....well your Ultra has the same thing, just requires some additional thought as it's not really spelled out for you to use it this way.

I'm pretty sure you just add the looper block to the beginning of any patch, and record your guitar, play it back on loop....then you may tweak your patch while listening to yourself play the riff that you want. This is great some advanced tweaking of patches/blocks as you can hear the difference in real time, instead of having to try and remember the difference between your current 'take' and the one you just played 45 seconds ago...sometimes the nuances are so subtle from an audible sense..that the only thing your really tweaking is the 'feel' of the sound (a great tribute to the genius of the programming of this box). A lot of times I have the 'tone' for the song, but the intricacies of the feel of the tone are what makes it fun to play....dialing in the right thump on a palm mute, or the right sparkle on a chorus/clean sound...or being able to turn a knob from it's minimum point to its maximum point and really hear how it affects the tone/feel of the amp or whatever block you are playing with.

Just thought I'd bring this up, as I recently got a new guitar that sounds quite a bit different than my others I have used, and I am building patches from the ground up again.

Cheers....

Yep, this has been suggested many, many moons before, but I don't think that it gets the publicity that it deserves. Another area that it comes in extremely handy is with CabLab. You can sit there with the loop running and just create your IR mix and the process moves a lot faster.

Conversely if you record a lot and use the re-amp feature that is another way to accomplish the same task, but you can do it from within the mix of the track itself. It's invaluable.

Yep, this has been suggested many, many moons before, but I don't think that it gets the publicity that it deserves. Another area that it comes in extremely handy is with CabLab. You can sit there with the loop running and just create your IR mix and the process moves a lot faster.

Conversely if you record a lot and use the re-amp feature that is another way to accomplish the same task, but you can do it from within the mix of the track itself. It's invaluable.

I was under the impression that CabLab was only for the AxeFX II, and not compatible with the Standard/Ultra.

I know it was suggested many moons before, but as you said, doesnt get the publicity or mention as much as it should...as much as people have a hard time dialing in patches apparently....or finding out what each parameter does to the sound. Also works as you said for auditioning cab ir's and such....

Back
Top Bottom