OK, simple dumb question

bjjp2

Power User
Still confused about this.

I load 3.0 and new Preset Bank A. Do I still need to turn preset amp to another amp and back? Or are the new re-worked presets already at new default value?
(Same question re: 3.02 and new Preset Banks A, B and C)

Thanks.

I'm so confused on all this as well...

Also, on a related note...I've read a bunch of posts but am still confused on what actually happens when you load the new 3.x and up firmware...what happens to your curent 2.x presets? Are values changed? Are they supposed to sound exactly the same until you change amps and come back to the original?

Last edited:
I'm so confused on all this as well...I've read a bunch of posts but am still confused on what actually happens when you load the new 3.x and up firmware...what happens to your curent 2.x presets? Are values changed? Are they supposed to sound exactly the same until you change amps and come back to the original?

Think your question's a little different from mine (i'm talking about when Cliff releases "updated" presets along with the new firmware).

It would appear like this: If you use factory presets, update all three banks and be happy. If you have your own patches, fix them for 3.02, no need to replace banks, but you have to switch them off and back from the desired amp. I had to bring depth and some other settings in line and now everything's peachy. And sounds great!
No better than 2.0 though...

B.

OK-I am not near as well versed in all these amp parameters as most but it would seem to me that:

The firmware updates certain parameters that now will act differently then they did before the FW update.
IOW, simply, the bass parameter on the 1st page of amps now 5 is more like 1 because some flubiness was removed . So you need to adjust the bass to fit your preset the way it did before the update.
I know that's a simplistic example but this is the way I see it.

i think this is how it works.

let's say you have a recto orange amp and your dampening is set to 6.5. that 6.5 is relative to whatever scale he made for that firmware.

firmware gets updated, and the scale for dampening is changed a bit. so now that 6.5 is actually a 9.3 relative to the old firmware.

switching to another amp, then back resets certain parameters to default, which will help you get the sound you want because the scale of the knobs is accurate.

amirite? close?

funny how cliff wont weigh in on this one, Ive asked it countless times, I assume he thinks rtfrn makes it obvious. My final conclusion on the subject (yes we know there exists hoardes ready to say start from scratch). When you download or update, you do get all the new sounds changes advanced parameters and ALL your sounds automatically change.

However, as Chrisallen states and I think he has it right, your "original" settings may be at odds with the new parameters or even scales of those parameters. So you may have to tweak some things to get even your "new improved" sound back to the way you like. If you HATE your current non tweaked sound, you can do the amp back and forth dance, and RESET all amp model param. to default. However by doing this you may NOW really hate your "old, but updated" preset sound.

Therefore, its back to the old do what your ears prefer. I choose to tweak my old presets which I like without "defaulting" the amp param. For new presets, default is obviously already in play.

It would appear like this: If you use factory presets, update all three banks and be happy. If you have your own patches, fix them for 3.02, no need to replace banks, but you have to switch them off and back from the desired amp. I had to bring depth and some other settings in line and now everything's peachy. And sounds great!
No better than 2.0 though...

B.

Aha! Trying to hide with that small font. What, you don't want to join the slaughter fest in my thread?

For the factory presets, I assume the new settings have already been reworked. Regardless, I found I had to tweak settings anyway to make them better (back to 2.0 standards). I don't think that new owners will notice the difference though if they start with 3.00.

Back
Top Bottom