Ok, ready to make the jump back to Gibson’s

Ok, so during Covid, I got a Les Paul studio which sounded great, I could just never get that g string to stay in tune after 4 setups. Now found the right guy I’m comfortable to set this new one up properly.

I play lots of 90s alternative and pop punk from the early 2000’s, so wanting to know what’s going to be the best for me. Love the black in the classic color, but can easily fall in love with the tone and learn to live with the finish for a standard if it’s going to rock that much more.

Coming from an LTD with evertunes, which sound great, but ready to celebrate my new raise and get my dream which is a real Les Paul with the binding!

Or should I just keep the Ltd and learn that I’ll never lol as cool with all the ionic Gibson artists lol.

Opinions please?

Hi @Namewastakendamn ,

Go to a shop that stocks a number of Les Paul Standards, and play as many as you can, for as long as you can. I don't know about you, but I can feel a guitar is right for me pretty quickly, but sometimes a few more minutes on it will point out things that may not be so hot. I was lucky and found a 2013 Les Paul that suits me perfectly.. I love it so much, I have hardly touched the Tele, which I used to think was my perfect guitar!

Problem is, they all seem so different, even when the make and model are the same... well that may have changed in the 2020s now with Pleking and CNC routers etc, but it's still the case in a lot of quality guitars - each feels a little different.

They are very expensive guitars, but if you find the right one, it will possibly be with you a lifetime!

Keep us posted and good luck on the search.

Thanks
Pauly

Ok, so during Covid, I got a Les Paul studio which sounded great, I could just never get that g string to stay in tune after 4 setups. Now found the right guy I’m comfortable to set this new one up properly.

I play lots of 90s alternative and pop punk from the early 2000’s, so wanting to know what’s going to be the best for me. Love the black in the classic color, but can easily fall in love with the tone and learn to live with the finish for a standard if it’s going to rock that much more.

Coming from an LTD with evertunes, which sound great, but ready to celebrate my new raise and get my dream which is a real Les Paul with the binding!

Or should I just keep the Ltd and learn that I’ll never lol as cool with all the ionic Gibson artists lol.

Opinions please?

Pretty much you can never get a LP to stay perfectly in tune. Using a set of 11's or higher help a lot, but you are still going to have issues based on the type of music you play. Especially using a very downpick approach to playing. When I was with Gibson, I used to have to play much lighter and adjust how I played and tune every song to make it work - which I did. But it is a process. So, buying a custom shop LP is cool, but it will go out of tune and never be in tune completely regardless of how good your tech is. I have a great tech, and still it is only 85% effective. Gibson with some visual mojo? Go PRS...and most of that will be solved.

Pretty much you can never get a LP to stay perfectly in tune. Using a set of 11's or higher help a lot, but you are still going to have issues based on the type of music you play. Especially using a very downpick approach to playing. When I was with Gibson, I used to have to play much lighter and adjust how I played and tune every song to make it work - which I did. But it is a process. So, buying a custom shop LP is cool, but it will go out of tune and never be in tune completely regardless of how good your tech is. I have a great tech, and still it is only 85% effective. Gibson with some visual mojo? Go PRS...and most of that will be solved.
Only thing about going prs is you wont be playing a Gibson. 594 is bigger frets, larger neck depending which Gibson OP wants, slight tummy carve changes the way it rests sitting or standing, radius of the fretboard. Excellent guitars, but if you want a les paul buy a les paul. If you want a singlecut the 594 is a fantastic guitar (S2 and core).

Signed, sold two 594’s.

Only thing about going prs is you wont be playing a Gibson. 594 is bigger frets, larger neck depending which Gibson OP wants, slight tummy carve changes the way it rests sitting or standing, radius of the fretboard. Excellent guitars, but if you want a les paul buy a les paul. If you want a singlecut the 594 is a fantastic guitar (S2 and core).

Signed, sold two 594’s.
Yup that is why I said most things solved. But if tuning and sound are the most important and coming from the non-Gibson world might be worth a look. I do not personally own any PRS guitars right now but I needed a LP for something - 594 would be my choice. I played LP's for a long time - specials, standards, you name it. They are fun guitars with dated technology - kinda like a plexi amp vs a fm9 - full circle now lol.

I recently bought a 2022 standard 60s and can't put it down. I tried for years to like an LP and just couldn't get there on it and then this one just hit. And it stays in tune!

I’ve wondered about those Friedmans. They definitely look like they’d be good workhorses.
They are amazing. I’ve been through PRS and Suhr, J Custom. Friedman’s are my fav hands down. Tone for days and just general vibe. I’ve got a Cali, Noho, and Vintage T. Need to try the Metro next

They are amazing. I’ve been through PRS and Suhr, J Custom. Friedman’s are my fav hands down. Tone for days and just general vibe. I’ve got a Cali, Noho, and Vintage T. Need to try the Metro next

Wow. That's an awesome collection! I think those are all made by Grover Jackson, if I'm not mistaken, so I was always curious. The Cali is my speed. I was thinking his pickups seemed cool; I remember looking up YouTube videos of examples, and I liked what I was hearing. I was thinking about the Triple Ds at that point.

Back
Top Bottom