Ok, ready to make the jump back to Gibson’s

The pickups are the best part. I went thru a bunch of bkp pups and the Friedman classic plus kills. The triple D is pretty close to the same, a touch hotter and darker. My Noho has the Ds and sounds pretty close to the Cali. I have a classic plus I’m going to put in my Suhr Midern too, that’s how much I like em!

As someone who sold prs to get some gibsons, just gotta decide if you want a Gibson or a singlecut. Try some stuff out! I passed on a Kenai black beauty because I knew I’d want it to be an lpc.

Hi @Namewastakendamn ,

Go to a shop that stocks a number of Les Paul Standards, and play as many as you can, for as long as you can.
This.

I have (I think) around 15 Les Pauls. Most are vintage.
I know after a few seconds if I like one. I've played 100s and only keep the ones I love.
There is a WIDE variety of quality and feel with Les Pauls. You've got to take your time (unless you like to buy/flip guitars).
GC is a great place to buy a used one since they have a return policy....but again, you have to be willing to pack it up and ship it back if you don't like it.
I much prefer to walk into a store and play some.

HI @BBN

Only fifteen? Did you start late or something?

(Joking - OMG 15!!!... and only the ones you love???)

Thanks
Pauly

This.

I have (I think) around 15 Les Pauls. Most are vintage.
I know after a few seconds if I like one. I've played 100s and only keep the ones I love.
There is a WIDE variety of quality and feel with Les Pauls. You've got to take your time (unless you like to buy/flip guitars).
GC is a great place to buy a used one since they have a return policy....but again, you have to be willing to pack it up and ship it back if you don't like it.
I much prefer to walk into a store and play some.

HI @BBN

Only fifteen? Did you start late or something?

(Joking - OMG 15!!!... and only the ones you love???)

Thanks
Pauly
The first step is admitting you have a problem.....so here goes:

I am addicted to guitars. Especially old Gibsons.

But there is not a single Les Paul in my house that I don't absolutely love.
If I don't love it - I sell it. (or don't buy it)

Sounds like your aesthetic opinion is interfering with a use case scenario. I want function - don’t give a damn if it’s ugly.

Yup. I have had ZERO issues with any of my Gibsons. Purchased my first in 1985. 37 years means I
must be doing something wrong. Either that or the "Gibson's won't stay in tune" myth is mythical. :)
I’ve experienced it, and solved it with a setup lol.

As with any guitar, play as many as you can and focus more on how it sounds unplugged and most importantly how it feels. Pickups, tuners, pots, caps, bridge, tailpiece, can all be upgraded or changed if you want, but the neck and body are forever on a Les Paul (as opposed to a Fender where you can swap necks). My #1 started life as a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 2, but I hated the original pickups and electronics so I put in a set of Seth Lovers and better wiring and treble bleeds, it's my favorite guitar ever! I've even had a couple custom shop Les Pauls (an R9 and an R8) and my #1 won every time, so I sold the custom shops. If it feels good, you'll play good.

But you'll spend most of your time playing it plugged in, so beware this bit. It will tell you if the guitar needs a setup and if it has resonance but that's about it.

The more I read suggestions the more I think I've had blind luck with some purchases lol.
No you're 100% correct, I just meant that like if the stock pickups aren't what you're looking for that's changeable, but how it feels in your hands and the physicality of it can't be changed, at least not without some surgery and a hefty bill! The other reason is cause I've sat down with a Les Paul that sounded FANTASTIC, and I bought it right then and there solely based on how it sounded plugged in, then after living with it for a few months I realized that it might sound amazing but it felt awful, specifically the neck.

But you're right, I should have focused more on making sure it FEELS right, not that it sounds great unplugged LOL And I also think I've had a lack of luck with some guitar purchases, I end up with lemons all the time.

No you're 100% correct, I just meant that like if the stock pickups aren't what you're looking for that's changeable, but how it feels in your hands and the physicality of it can't be changed, at least not without some surgery and a hefty bill! The other reason is cause I've sat down with a Les Paul that sounded FANTASTIC, and I bought it right then and there solely based on how it sounded plugged in, then after living with it for a few months I realized that it might sound amazing but it felt awful, specifically the neck.

But you're right, I should have focused more on making sure it FEELS right, not that it sounds great unplugged LOL And I also think I've had a lack of luck with some guitar purchases, I end up with lemons all the time.

I think it can go either way, that you can buy an amazing feeling guitar that no pickups can make sound good; I've been there. And I bought an Epi LP because it was the best sounding thing I could find then, and I kind of forced myself to learn my way around the way it felt, but finally the upper fret access area, the heel, was destroying my fretting wrist, and I just couldn't stick with it, no matter how incredible it sounded. Now upper fret access is something I always look for and feel for.

Been playing since 1976 and the best Guitar I've ever played Is my 2014 Les Paul Custom, and Its a Richlite neck, I can only Imagine a real neck on one of these

Back
Top Bottom