OK I need some help need some Blackmore help

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I was just jamming along to Deep Purple "Made I japan" live "Strange Kind of Woman"
what amp /cab to match this sound
man I love the guitar tone on this album

There is a lot of ambience in his tone on that album. Try to increase the room parameter. This is important to get the right tone.
On made in japan the guitar is panned to one side and the organ to the other.
But if you pan to the side where the organ is and listen when only the guitar sounds you can hear a lot of leaking in that side.

Also, remember not to use to much gain. Take close listen to his tone. Not very much gain. Its the "bite" that does it.
The organ has more gain than the guitar! :lol

this is my blackmore patch...i switched the preamp to vox which i read somewhere what ritchie used to do...furthermore pretty basic...it's not a copy from made in japan but to me it's clearly a blackmore sound.. made it with headphone for low volume....i used 2 cabs...the regular tv-mix and some tdr marshall mix nr01...have no clue anymore as to where i got this ir from...it was free though

View attachment BLACKMORE.syx

this is my blackmore patch...i switched the preamp to vox which i read somewhere what ritchie used to do...furthermore pretty basic...it's not a copy from made in japan but to me it's clearly a blackmore sound.. made it with headphone for low volume....i used 2 cabs...the regular tv-mix and some tdr marshall mix nr01...have no clue anymore as to where i got this ir from...it was free though

View attachment 18352

The TDR Marshall Mix is from forum member and preset guru Fremen.

the world without Fremen would really be a bleak place....i did install his presets in my banks too...he did a fantastic job!!

I heard somewhere (years ago, you'll have to check this out...) that early stuff he used a Marshall Major, and plugged into a Tape recorder put on 'pause' that acted as a front end boost. If I had to guess it sounds a little thicker and crispier (I'd give the treble boost a shot.)

So try the Marshall 100 set fairly clean, mild boost, Strat on neck PUP. Tweak to taste.

I've never tried the treble boost , I'll look into it, when you say Marshall 100 I assume you mean the plexi right?

Just wanted to add a "technique" note if you didn't know already. I saw an interview where he was talking about "Smoke on the Water" and how he didn't play the riff with a pick. He actually hit the "E" with his thumb and plucked the higher notes with his fingers. I've tried it myself and it actually does add to that Blackmore tone. :)

nice to hear you like it!....often presets from somebody else sound completely different because of the differences in gear setup...it sometimes makes you think your axe is sounding wrong or so...

The tape boost didn't come in till after Made in Japan. It's more than likely a Marshall Major, played very loud. But there isn't one in the Axe AFAIK, there was a wish list for it. There is a lot of headroom in this tone.

Try a splawn with KT88 power stage possibly with an AC30 tone circuit in front and a treble type of boost.

Of course by the time of the Cal Jam 74 the tape booster was in use and it's a different tone.

Tons of info here http://www.treblebooster.net/mk2.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom