ok, i know this is crazy...but..

has anybody ever modified the ax8 chassis?

I have a crazy idea..

first off, i don't use a lot of the switches, any external pedals, i use just a droptune and a boss fs-7 for volume changes.

Is it crazy to imagine that, one can some how, take away, oh let's say the top 4 footswitches, take out the droptune board out of it's red box and fit it in the ax8, drill the right-sized hole for the knob and affix the switch in place of the original switch on the ax8? And then so on for the fs7?

electronically, the droptune wouldn't be connected to the ax8 board regarsing ax8 edit or power.., the power cable could even possibly just be fished through one of the unused 1/4" outs..the ins and outs could be connected internally.. the fs7 doesn't require power to work.

Have I had one too many?? I've heard of transplanting seperate effects pedals into bigger/other enclosures, so this thought crossed my mind.

It -might- be possible. It all depends on how the circuit board for the Ax8 switches is built. If a row is removable, and there's enough space for the other pedal's PCB, you might be able to do it.

However, it would be sacrilege and oh so, so ugly. The missing LED's and switches would be bad enough, but a power cable being routed through one of them? *shudder*

We won't even bother to mention resale value.

Too much worry about resale value, keeping plastic on screens, having a "mint" condition original box etc

If modding it makes it suit your needs better and you use it to enjoy making music, then go for it.

No one in the audience cares how aesthetically pleasing or ugly your pedal board is after all

i've only ever modified a Art XLR Patchbay to turn 4 of the connections around. i had to saw the circuit board in order to turn it.

i would never imagine doing anything remotely like that to something so intricate as an AX8. :O

having a "mint" condition original box etc
Agreed. Tools. Make them work for you. Here’s what I just did with my AX8 box:

An AX8 in a Pete Cornish style black plywood setup would look awesome!

petecornish.jpg

Hmmm... How about putting a wish list entry in for a drop tune emulation in the AXE8 ? May be cheaper and less trouble... In the mean time, just use the pedal as required.
Thanks
Pauly

i've only ever modified a Art XLR Patchbay to turn 4 of the connections around. i had to saw the circuit board in order to turn it.

i would never imagine doing anything remotely like that to something so intricate as an AX8. :O

I have a Furman Power Conditioner that I noticed had a ton of free space inside... It's now a breakout panel/usb hub/midi phantom power/power conditioner. Of course, it was only a $50 unit, and I can always just buy a blank rack panel if I ever decide I want to undo my work.

Drilling holes in a $1000+ Fractal device. Not for me. :coldsweat:

I'm not promoting the destruction of your AX8 by any means , but it didn't stop Edward from hacking a hole in his strat for a HB. Seemed to work out well for him.

Glad to see you decided to keep your AX8 after all @iaresee . You can take the plastic off the screen now...:D

Back
Top Bottom