Ok. I get it now. (Full Res Opinion and observations).

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Just installed and yea theres something to this for sure. Noodled around with some mid gain tones and a Strat and it definitely has that amp in a room sound without having to add any verb. I definitely dug this more than the standard length close mic IRs. Looking forward to more full res content in the near future.

Blending full and close mic IRs became a little problematic. I found it difficult to get a good balance between them and tone is always hard to describe but I couldn't really get that cohesive sound between the two like I had in my head. They always sounded separate and seemed difficult to blend together. In the physical world, I'd close mic for my main sound and blend in some room for ambience. I just couldn't make this work in the cab block. Wondering if these full res IRs are close mic recordings with the room slapping back? Perhaps that would explain my difficulty but Im completely spitballing. If this is actually the case, maybe some full res of room mics would be cool for this purpose???

I really hate to compare un-like products but Wall Of Sound gets this for me. Set up virtual direct mics and blend in just enough room for air and weight. It would be understandable why, if my theory above is true.

I'd also note the CPU hit is the truth. Never saw AxeEdit display warning before.

At any rate, this is a great advancement of the AxeFxIII for sure. Well done, guys.

You're not getting it quite... :)

FullRes are not standalone far-field IRs which replace close-mic'd IRs. FullRes capture the room only, not the sound coming directly from the speaker, so they have to be used in addition to a regular IR.

To me it sounds like he is doing exactly that (but doesn't like the result yet):
Blending full and close mic IRs became a little problematic. I found it difficult to get a good balance between them and tone is always hard to describe but I couldn't really get that cohesive sound between the two like I had in my head.

FullRes IRs are like using/adding the UAD Ocean Way you like...but not in Remic mode. Results should be quite similar if you find/use a Roon IR close to Oceanway studios. Regardless the IR the feel should be the same between adding Oceanway or a FullRes IR.

I saw a tip to use a parallel IR player instead of the cab block. I don’t know why but I like it a lot more. With a subtle blend it just adds a level of depth and nuance that I really, really like! I am even thinking of using it live tonight, not for AITR but just for some character.

Using the cab block I was pushing 80%. Using IR player I’m on 60%. Totally unscientific as I haven’t actually confirmed that’s the only change I made, but I guess just to suggest that it is possible to use them on a MkI with a comfy CPU margin. However as I say I need to actually check that’s the only change that affected CPU!

Could you link to the thread/post discussing this?
Sorry man I have no idea where I saw that, it may have been in a video, I really don’t remember. But that’s all there was to it - use a parallel IR player instead of a cab. I don’t know what difference it really makes if any.

Sorry man I have no idea where I saw that, it may have been in a video, I really don’t remember. But that’s all there was to it - use a parallel IR player instead of a cab. I don’t know what difference it really makes if any.
not saying that's were you got it from, but that's how I did it for this tone and preset:

Attachments

• Vibroverb & Super + Fullres IRs.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
Finally checked out the FullRes IRs with headphones.
Holy crap, I had to take off the headphones to be sure I wasn't hearing the room as well.
Really puts you in the room.
Huge difference.
Tried both with IR player and cab block - no diff in CPU - uses almost 20% more.
Tried to re-create the effect adding more "room" to the UR cabs, just not the same authenticity.

Last edited:
You're not getting it quite... :)

FullRes are not standalone far-field IRs which replace close-mic'd IRs. FullRes capture the room only, not the sound coming directly from the speaker, so they have to be used in addition to a regular IR.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Impulse_responses_(IR)#FullRes

They don't have to be used with a "regular IR" though, right? If you wanted the sound of a cabinet and room from a position in the room and shot a FullRes IR from that position?

They don't have to be used with a "regular IR" though, right? If you wanted the sound of a cabinet and room from a position in the room and shot a FullRes IR from that position?
Not required, but likely will sound very distant without some close-mic sound in there. Most have been mixing a little Fullrez in to 'spice up' the dry. By itself, it may be too 'spicy'.

[insert Dune quote here]

Finally checked out the FullRes IRs with headphones.
Holy crap, I had to take off the headphones to be sure I wasn't hearing the room as well.
Really puts you in the room.
Huge difference.
Tried both with IR player and cab block - no diff in CPU - uses almost 20% more.
Tried to re-create the effect adding more "room" to the UR cabs, just not the same authenticity.
yeah, I saw cliff was saying to audition it via headphones to hear and feel the difference between Ultra Res and the Full Res. cheers!

I am loving some FullRes(TM) dialed in (IRP in parallel stereo) with headphones especially on clean and EOB stuff. Makes playing sound more spacious and interesting. Psycho-acoustics works for my brain.

I'm limited to the five stereo ones on my MKI but that's enough to feel satisfied.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom