OK...first impressions...

...first off, WOW! The tones inside this thing are INSANELY good. The variety and the accuracy is incredible...and I'm pleased as punch playing through my tube amp and cabs onstage. Full, thick, punchy, clear...very very very impressed.

The only part I am struggling with is figuring out/getting comfortable with the foots witching. I guess the most effective way to set this up for live performance is to have 8 different presets in a bank with differing effects available within each of them individually, then use F1 to list them to be able to access them individually? Like I have a clean preset on 1, then to get to preset 2 I have to hit F1 and then hit foot switch 2. Am I doing that correctly, or is there another way? The X/Y thing totally loses me. It sounds like you can switch the amps inside a certain preset, but how in the heck can you do that?? I've watched every video I can find on that...none of them really make any sense. Same with scenes...completely lost. I worked on that single thing today for over an hour...finally just gave up.

Regardless, again, thank all of you for your patience with me...I am absolutely thrilled with the tonal capabilities inside this thing...now just have to learn how to access/switch to everything I need.

Last edited:
X/Y amp switching can be setup in the amp block. X = Marshall / Y = Friedman. Assign X/Y switch to a slot in footswitches.

Yes, F1 to bring up a bank of 8. Click corresponding footswitch number to activate. Sometimes you may need to click F1 again.

F2 to bank up. F3 to bank down.

You can also setup via the footswitches P1, P2, P3, Bank Up, Bank Down, etc. All this done from the footswitch tab in AX8 Edit.

If you haven't done it yet, I good read and lots of noted stickers of the manual is a must.

You can also have X/Y state of effects as well. No X/Y switch for this. It is a Press/Hold of assigned delay footswitch, etc.

Example - From one switch you can have: Delay 1 = Dual Delay - Press/Hold - Delay 2 = Ping Pong Delay

My typically footswitch layout:

Footswitch 1 is Scene 1 = Clean w/FX (Flanger, Delay, Reverb)
2 is Scene 2 = Crunch (No FXs)
3 is Scene 3 = Lead (Delay and Reverb)
4 is Amp Boost using Control Switch 1
5 is Drive
6 is Chorus / Flanger
7 = Delay
8 = Reverb

My typically footswitch layout:

Footswitch 1 is Scene 1 = Clean w/FX (Flanger, Delay, Reverb)
2 is Scene 2 = Crunch (No FXs)
3 is Scene 3 = Lead (Delay and Reverb)
4 is Amp Boost using Control Switch 1
5 is Drive
6 is Chorus / Flanger
7 = Delay
8 = Reverb
But how do you access scenes with the footswitches? Right now all I see the possibility of is a) changing the preset entirely or b) turning effects off and on inside an individual preset.

Duh!! Ok...the light bulb just came on.

Basically, you set whatever you want up in the scenes (including using different amps), then assign the scene a footswitch. Then you can turn the effects off and on within the scenes individually. Is that about it?

I'm going to shoot for 6 scenes, with the boost being a switch, too.

Basically, you set whatever you want up in the scenes (including using different amps), then assign the scene a footswitch. Then you can turn the effects off and on within the scenes individually. Is that about it?

I think you got it now. Scenes contain different on/off (or x/y) states for the blocks in a preset.

Yes. However you save Scene 1 (Delay (X) on, Reverb off, Drive on), Scene 2 can be saved differently, Scene 3 (different delay (Y) than Scene 1)... Lots of scenarios that you can setup.

When you switch between scenes it will be how you set it up. No need to toe-tap. Just switch between scenes.

But how do you access scenes with the footswitches? Right now all I see the possibility of is a) changing the preset entirely or b) turning effects off and on inside an individual preset.
Hold down F2 until it's blinking.. Now you're in scene mode and can go from scene to scene. Assuming you can store 8 scenes on one preset that means you can have 8 virtual pedalboards with effects set up differently, one for each song you want! AND, switch between them with a single foot stomp. Or if you're doing a single song with up to 8 different pedal switching moments just create 8 scenes inside that ones song (preset). This is why I love this AX8!

The easiest way to look at scenes is as if it is a pedal switcher. you set your preset up as a pedal board and program the on/ off state of the effects pedals ( x/y state of amps and pedals also) in the scenes. now one switch press changes the state of many pedals

Great day today! Set up four scenes...a clean (using the Bassman), clean lead, dirty rhythm (Friedman), epic lead...bottom four switches choose the sound, the top four choose drive, delay, pitch/chorus, and boost. Very happy!

NOW...how do you access more scenes? Is it possible?

Back
Top Bottom