OH Public Beta Redux! (more free stuff)

ownhammer

Power User
Vendor
Hey guys,

I've had a lot going on, but this time around I've mostly been wise and kept it to myself except for a few random blurbs about the Mystery Meat (which I've since removed from the site in lieu of this). Now it's time to share some more files with you all, in a similar vein to the original public beta release 6 months ago.

In recent times I've been fine tuning the Live-n-Loud section of the Standard libraries. In doing so I've pulled some old tricks out of my bag, and was reminded why I used to adhere to them in the past. I've merged that to provide improved, more diverse, and more intuitive voicings while keeping most of the core mechanics in tact. Voicings options now are:

- Brit Modern
- Brit Vintage
- USA Modern
- USA Vintage

They're merely my opinion of the sound, in as short, relative, and generic of terms as I could come up with. When I think Brit I think Marshall, EL34's, Neve, and certain mid-range characteristics. When I think USA I think Fender, 6L6's, API, and certain low and high characteristics. Modern is clearer and more in your face, Vintage is more relaxed, woody, and organic. The voicings are mostly a result of mic placement and technique, and for that reason I won't be listing the gear used specifically for each as I don't want it to be a benchmark for comparing outboard hardware; I don't think that would be fair to the manufacturers as those elements easily comprise less than 20% of the sonic variation.

The main reason for these subtle sonic changes to the voicings is primarily feedback - be it direct private communication or opinions I read out and about, as well as random results when trying something for a completely unrelated test. Additionally, with language barriers, not only linguistically but also variance in experience and ability to translate audio terminology/descriptors, I felt this was a necessary simplification in the long run.

I feel this bests the original public beta in every facet of tonality, but you can find out for yourself here:

OwnHammer.com - Public Beta Redux

I'll be leaving this up this time until the full 412-GTR Bog V31 is released.

For the habitual A/B'ers, you could compare the original Public Beta's "normal" files to the USA Modern here, and 2 positions back. So original beta "normal" voicing position 8 would be USA Modern 6 here. Nothing else is even remotely the same, however.

The only off topic question I will preemptively address is that yes, the voicing options in the 412-GTR Bog 12M-RI that's on the site now will get updated with this new set of capture methodologies, but not now as it isn't a drastic change for most of them. I need to move on to other cabs and speakers, and will come back to it in time. Once I finish updating the Live-n-Loud and Auxiliary files for that one, I'm going to the next cab.

If anyone has any questions about anything related to commercial items they have picked up in the store, please email me through the contact page, I'm not going to be humoring a million questions here like before, it takes too much time away from sampling!

Very much looking forward to what those who have wanted me to do darker files think of the Live-n-Loud stuff, assuming of course that the normal files didn't get you there, which this time around the higher numbered Vintage versions just might.

Lastly, please keep this on topic, the last thread started off great then toward the end became a train wreck to put it mildly. :lol

Last edited:
OH, thank you very much for all your hard work.

But I just get more and more confused. :(

Can't wait to try these! Thanks again for all your hard work.

You might be personally responsible for me switching to FR for live use... ;-)

Awesome!

Will the 4 voicings (Brit and USA etc.) replace those in the G12M library (Balanced, Vintage, Modern, Classic)?

For those who are confused:

this great freebie for OwnHammer contains IRs of a V30 in a Bogner 4x12 cabinet, mic'd with a SM57.

Available in 4 different voicings, as explained in the OP. Each voicing is available in 9 positions.

The library also contains 4 Live-n-Loud voicings, meant to be used when playing your Axe-Fx in a band context, using a FR cab/wedge to fill the room.

How does the Live-n-Loud voicings differ from the others? Are the specific to use "live and loud" when playing live or working as good at home when recording or headphones too?

2431613014_9e852a4805.jpg

freebie for OwnHammer

Do you have to be a paying customer with previously purchased items, and this is an upgrade "in addition to" what you've already purchased, or can you just get free cab sims from OH and then if you like what you hear, purchase other cabs from them?

"still dazed and confused"

Thanks

this great freebie for OwnHammer contains IRs of a V30 in a Bogner 4x12 cabinet, mic'd with a SM57.

Available in 4 different voicings, as explained in the OP. Each voicing is available in 9 positions.

The library also contains 4 Live-n-Loud voicings, meant to be used when playing your Axe-Fx in a band context, using a FR cab/wedge to fill the room.

Thanks Yek, this is the first time *ever* that the offerings from OwnHammer make sense to me!

Can you promise to "translate" everything Kevin publishes in the future? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom