Oh oh! We're gonna need "grill cloth" options in those IRs!

adew

Inspired
We all know about IR baked-in mics. Perhaps we need baked-in grill cloth options, too, for ultimate authenticity. Clark? :mrgreen

He also does some great speaker comparison videos (check out his channel). I admire the time that people like him put into this sort of demo-ing. Cool!

At the distance IRs are shot grill cloth would be negligible. However if you want to go down the carbon battery, wire directionality or solder type rabbit holes I'm all in, NOT!

At the distance IRs are shot grill cloth would be negligible. However if you want to go down the carbon battery, wire directionality or solder type rabbit holes I'm all in, NOT!
:lol

Me neither!

An engineer who worked with EVH told me that a hole in his grille cloth was part of the sound, but thought that this was mainly due to the fact that it allowed the mic to be even closer to the paper. Here we can see it also naturally affects the high end a bit. Cool.

I recall watching an interview with Ed talking abou the type of grill cloth that he liked to use, Said it would cut the highs a little. He went further to say that he used to tape audio foam panels to the front of his cab when he played out live in small clubs.

An engineer who worked with EVH told me that a hole in his grille cloth was part of the sound, but thought that this was mainly due to the fact that it allowed the mic to be even closer to the paper. Here we can see it also naturally affects the high end a bit. Cool.

I remember reading an article a few years back when I was looking for new grill cloth to redo my recto 4x12 cab with.. It referenced Mesa Boogie and the reason they used certain grill cloths on certain cabs and how each one tamed the high end in different ways. I thought it was just a snake-oil deal, but maybe it is true after watching this video? :encouragement:

Grille cloth can have a minute difference but you really have to A/B them in real time to notice. Nothing adjusting your treble knob 1/20th of a rotation couldn't solve. Gene (owner of UltraSound studios NYC) and I did such a test with various different cloths on indentical Bogner cabinets in his Ultra studio years ago. For anyone to claim hearing a difference in a non-controlled experiment environment, I call BS.

Back
Top Bottom