Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

...What i thought was so cool about it the emphasis was on the band and the songs. Thats it. No fancy light shows or anything like that. Just a great straight-forward rock n roll show...

Bygone era...it just doesn't sell tickets anymore. God forbid charisma and talent should be center stage.

This is not to say that *some* shows that feature all the bells and whistles out there don't highlight talent. It seems to be the female talent that shines. P!nk I think is an amazing live performer, Gaga has mad talent, Katy has shown she knows how to put on show. While I haven't seen them, Grace Potter and Nocturnals I hear can rock the crowd with sheer energy and talent.

It's that we've lost 'distinctness' about most music...since it's all been done, we don't really have that many that think 'out of the box' and come up with something both popular AND groundbreaking.

I would still categorize REO as a middling band (this DOES NOT MEAN THAT I DO NOT LOVE WHAT THEY DO), but with the combination of a few great songs, a few memorable ones, captivating live shows, and an engaging singer and guitarist made then what they are. Like it or not, Cronin and Richrath are less without each other. Same thing with Styx and Dennis.

But back to the subject, I hope that Gary comes back to the world. Add Billy Squier to that list...that guy is an underrated songwriter and guitarist.

R

I (almost) saw REO June 28, 1978 in Nashville, TN.

Richie Blackmore's Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio opened up for them on that tour. (There was another opening act too that played before Rainbow. It was a pretty good Hendrix wannabe.)

Ronnie James Dio had something to prove and Richie Blackmore was still pissed about Deep Purple... made for an epic show!!! After Rainbow did a huge encore... most people drifted out when REO started playing. I guess the floor filled in with more dedicate REO fans. But we left.

Was in the front row. I can still remember how epic "Man On The Silver Mountain" was. Completely off the chain.

REO opened with "Roll With The Changes"... was a solid opener. I always hoped that show turned out well for them. Kinda felt bad that a lot of us left.

Sick and wrong Elphase...but so correct.

Seeing his replacement was a big inspiration on buying a Les Paul. Dave Amato's '59 LP:

One of my favourite looking killer tops!.

kevin-cronin-and-dave-amato.jpg

I agree with you about Billy Squier. He had/has a lot of good tunes and have just recently rediscovered his music ( as i am doing with REO ). Funny how time lets you see and hear things differently. Again the shows emphasis was on Billy and his Guitar. Don't remember a lot of fluff. He seemed to get along with his drummer. Talking and laughing a lot. He just seemed like a normal guy who liked to write songs and play guitar. I saw him about the same time as REO. Emotions in Motion tour. Def Leppard was just hitting it big and opened for him. Another good show!

I really miss Ronnie Montrose, he was a very close dear friend, gentle soul, wonderful human who gave everyone he met his full attention as if he had known them for a life time. At least that's the Ronnie I knew for the last 13 years of his life. He was the only rockstar who treated me like family, cooked me dinner, gave me personal gifts, Christmas cards, etc... He opened his heart and soul to you. I would have never known his alcoholism was as deep as it was as he always controlled himself professionally in public and usually only saw him drink a Sierra Torpedo brew or two. I will miss him always..... Never forget Ronnie Montrose and all he inspired with what he created, a tone monster.

PS the guitar in my avatar is THE BEAST, Ronnie's personal guitar being played at his tribute memorial concert, Majestic Theater, SF, CA.

As a long ago REO fan, I recently decided to add some to our set, so I've been looking at some videos. In the band's heyday, Gary Richrath's tone and presence was really amazing. If you haven't seen this live version of Roll With the Changes, it's worth a look (complete with VCR intro ;-) Gotta love his phrasing, monster tone and attitude!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgLPriZUSA

Didn't know the guy but did know REO of course. Well, he's been getting some older, some weight also but WTF, he still knows how to play and seems happy enough. I also would like to get my skyline of 1987, but I'm afraid "this shall not be possible". Cheers. Good video of REO by the way SPV.

As a long ago REO fan, I recently decided to add some to our set, so I've been looking at some videos. In the band's heyday, Gary Richrath's tone and presence was really amazing. If you haven't seen this live version of Roll With the Changes, it's worth a look (complete with VCR intro ;-) Gotta love his phrasing, monster tone and attitude!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgLPriZUSA

Yeah, this is killer. We did this song with the band for years (I sang and played the solo's, let me tell you...that's WORK...) and I loved that free flowing style of playing that Gary did (still does?)

Back
Top Bottom