OH Heavy Hitters Diezel cab: low res freq?

kit dunborg

Inspired
Hi,
Does anyone know what the low res freq for the Diezel cab is? Does it differ between k100s and v30s?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Thanks for the answer.
The OH heavy hitters cab in question is a front loaded. I already checked the Diezel website, there's no info on the low res freq though, but thank you for the heads up!

Chris

Ownhammer doesn't provide such informations. You'll have to guess. My advise: If you run a real cab in parallel, find its resonance frequency and use that. If you only use the IR, use your ears. Somewhere around 100Hz +- 10Hz should be the sweetspot. Or check out other IR shooters, who provide that info, e.g. https://valhallir.at/en/shop/english-nl-dz-4x12 (says 93 Hz). Doesn't say if it's front or rear loaded though.

And yes, of course there's a difference between different speakers!

Thank you!
Yeah, I've tried it with the real cab! Both approaches, the synth with the sine wave and the peak filter but I am not sure if I hear the cabs resonance or my rooms resonance, hence my question.
I am aware of the valhallir cab, but as you already stated, not sure about front or rear loaded, also not about the production date of the cab, might be an older one (Diezel redesigned their cabs a while ago).
v30s are listed with 75 hz , k100s with 85 hz as resonance frequency, so around 90 hz for a x pattern cab might be right, considering we are adding about 10% as stated in Cliff notes.
I was just wondering if someone has measured it or has a better idea than my lousy guess.
Anyway, thank you for the input!

I've never done that, but maybe it's possible to feel the resonance frequency? I guess the cab is supposed to vibrate more when one hits the right frequency?
Diezel redesigned their cabs a while ago
They are actually located not far from where I live (~100km). For a while my brother and a friend visited Peter Stapfer regularly and I assure you, he changes stuff with the cabs all the time ;)

Last edited:
Hi,
I just did that! put a sine wave through the cab while placing my hand on it, it starts noticably vibrating at 108 hz.
After reading everything I could find I am a lil bit confused.
I thought the low resonance frequency should be about 10% higher as the speaker resonance which would place the diezel around 90 hz. Though, I read that Mesa cabs with v30 are around 108 hz as well which I don't get if v30s resonance frequency is 75 hz.
Can anyone explain this? Is there a "low res freq for dummies" ?

I'd say go for the 108 Hz. I'm no pro myself in this regard, but that thing with the 10%, it's just math, very simple math, TOO simple math. I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to be a good guess, no more, no less.

Being in your situation, what I'd do is to make an a-b-comparison (preferably a blind a-b![1]) and switch between 108 Hz and 90 Hz. Play palm mutes to really get the low frequencies out of the speaker. Then decide!

[1] For example, set both X and Y to the same amp with the same settings except the low res freq setting. Configure a switch on your midi board to toggling between the two, step on it for a random amount of times and then, without peeking, decide which one you prefer. Do this like 10 times and see if one of them gets significantly more votes. Taddaaaah, decision made :)

Yeah, of course you're right! As always, the "use your ears not your eyes" approach is probably the way to go. Nevertheless I am trying to educate myself and understand the subject better.
The Herbert defaults to 110 hz btw., so that would be in correspondence with my findings earlier today. Thanks again for your time and input!

Always happy to help :)

All this makes me wonder how the valhallir guys could measure 93 Hz... Seems odd! But who knows, it isn't according to the math.

Yeah, same here! Maybe there is a difference between front loaded and rear loaded cabs and also we are not sure about the production date of the valhallir cab.

To be honest, I doubt he actually knows the value. If he knew, he had measured it and then it would be unwise to not share it. But of course it's always worth a try! :)

Back
Top Bottom