Oh boy...having issues...

this is awesome...

OP - I got probs with some fizziness with my presets.. I think I need a little help guys

Forum's conclusion - The manufacterer's power ratings on amps are not consistently measured

it's kinda like
"guys.. need help.. my car won't start"

conclusion
"it's been medically proved that beans do in fact make you fart"
I share some of the blame for that. You see the post, and it's easy to forget what the thread was about originally. All I see is the chance to hear myself talk, and that's so rewarding. :)

haaa... no worries.. I think it's quite funny...

anyways... where were we... ah.. yes..

if you're getting too much fizz and plops on your hi-gain tone..
stay well clear of the beans for a few weeks..

That's one way to test a device: feed a sine wave to its input.

How else can I say it? "Continuous" does not imply an RMS measurement.

Is anything but sine signals used? Hey, we agree on deceiving part etc, it's just that I still claim that to provide numbers, manufacturers must also provide references so that these numbers are somewhat meaningful (if only to the manufacturer). They may probably even be obscure...."continuous Nigerian", "Texan peak" or whatever...but they must have a reference. Simply saying "continuous power" is measuring RMS voltage, over a longer period of time, at the output and calculate power from that, RMS voltage^2/R. Or at least I thought so! May be it's measured differently, but manufacturers can't chose. The big guns using the same rating would be over them in a sec! 8)

Simply saying "continuous power" is measuring RMS voltage...
"Continuous" doesn't mean RMS. Or to put it another way, "continuous" doesn't mean RMS. :)

It doesn't. Really. You can calculate RMS power (which is only valid with a sine wave, and is meaningless with real program material), or you can measure it zero-to-peak, or peak-to-peak, or "average power," or "peak average," or any way you want to doctor it. If the manufacturer's spec doesn't specify that, they can cook it any way they like.

May be it's measured differently, but manufacturers can't chose.
Where did you read that? Sorry, I don't mean to be snippy, but where and what are these regulations that you say the manufacturers are held to?

The big guns using the same rating would be over them in a sec! 8)
The big guns using the same rating are playing the same games with their numbers. If they call out their competition, they're just exposing their own games.

"Continuous" doesn't mean RMS. Or to put it another way, "continuous" doesn't mean RMS. :)

Obviously, "continuous" in itself can be anything. "Continuous power" however, or "X watts continuous", is is what it is: the rated power can continuously be produced over time at the frequency(ies) measured. If the figure is not derived from measuring RMS voltage at the output, anybody feel free to correct me! But you can't chose how to define continuous power. That would be like measuring dBV and call it dBU. If you chose to use another way to measure watts you must specify so, or not specify at all. But no, there are probably not much regulation on what manufacturers has to measure.

Last edited:
Obviously, "continuous" in itself can be anything. "Continuous power" however, or "X watts continuous", is is what it is. If it is not derived from measuring RMS voltage at the output over time, anybody feel free to correct me! But you can't chose how to measure it. That would be like measuring dBV and call it dBU. If you chose to use another way to measure watts you must specify so. But no, there are probably not much regulation on what manufacturers has to measure.
One more try, then I'm packing it in. :)

"Continuous power" doesn't mean RMS, either. "Continuous power" implies the ability to maintain a given power level over time. "RMS" is a mathematical way to average a wave's power over one cycle.

Let's take, for example, a sine wave that puts 25 watts RMS into an 8-ohm load. Let's say it can do this "continuously"—for a week or more. Here's what we can say about that sine wave:
  • If we measure its RMS amplitude, that works out to 25 watts—continuously.
  • If we measure the sine wave's peak amplitude, that works out to 50 watts—continuously.
  • If we measure the wave's peak-to-peak amplitude, that works out to 200 watts—continuously.

That's four radically different power measurements, all describing the same "continuous" sine wave, and only one of these measurements has anything to do with RMS. All these methods have been used by amp manufacturers to specify power. "Continous power" doesn't mean RMS.

One more try, then I'm packing it in. :)

You keep saying that, and I'm thinking the same :p

You say that a manufacturer can use the "continuous power" rating and freely measure this however they want...continuous RMS, peak to peak or anything in between. I'm saying they can't. It implies average, else it must be defined as "peak" etc. That's about it ;)

can someone please tell me how to create a thread on here? I'm new and i just want to get my axe fx edit working...i have all the stuff..but can't seem to connect?

can someone please tell me how to create a thread on here?
Click the "Forum" button near the top of the page, choose the forum you want to start your thread in, then hit "+Post New Thread" at the bottom of the page.

I'm new and i just want to get my axe fx edit working...
The current Axe-Edit is busted and not reliable. A new, completely revamped version is scheduled to be released shortly.

Thanks man....I really appreciate your help... cheers!

Click the "Forum" button near the top of the page, choose the forum you want to start your thread in, then hit "+Post New Thread" at the bottom of the page.

The current Axe-Edit is busted and not reliable. A new, completely revamped version is scheduled to be released shortly.

This article contains some good information, and some inaccuracies as well (example: the article's title is "Audio Power," but it actually only addresses electrical power supplied by audio devices, and never actually deals with audio—acoustic—power).

It does mention the FTC's "amplifier rule," which provides a few restrictions on what an amplifier manufacturer can claim. However, this rule only applies to home entertainment systems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom