Oh boy...having issues...

Yeah I started with the Axe output all the way down and turned it up to about 9 Oclock (25% up). And it was pretty loud but had some crackling. When I turned the Qsc down to 75% and the Axe up to almost noon - it seemed to be Ok - but that is definitely practice volume (may also like to have a lil extra tho).

The Qsc has a return policy on ebay but that runs out in a few days - hard to tell it its defective (bought refurbished/used).

Like I said in the previous post, the input jack is loose/rattles, unless you get the compression jack. It totally solved this issue. Also, I believe QSC Engineering has a fix for this issue by replacing the input section...I'm just too lazy to send mine back.

Just didn't quite get the claim that "digital" amps deliver half their rated output ("Digital" amps meaning class D switching amps?).
Understood. I'm not clear on that either.

Amp watt is always rated RMS, or "continuous".
Not always. If they don't state RMS in the spec, it's not safe to assume they mean RMS. Likewise for "continuous" (which isn't the same thing as RMS).

Not sure just how strict regulations on measuring procedure are though! :)
There pretty much aren't any regulations. :)

If the power supply makes the amp unable to deliver more than 250W...they'd have to rate it at 250W.
There ain't no "have-to's." They have two power amps in the box, each rated at 500 watts. Whether the power supply will let them operate at their rated power is a different question. Back in the day, manufacturers used the phrase "with both channels driven" to indicate that the power supply was up to the task of powering both amps.

There ain't no "have-to's." They have two power amps in the box, each rated at 500 watts. Whether the power supply will let them operate at their rated power is a different question. Back in the day, manufacturers used the phrase "with both channels driven" to indicate that the power supply was up to the task of powering both amps.

They can't lie, so an amp do have to deliver what it's said to do. That's a simple measurement at the output. If the amp has more than one channel, one could argue that the rating says nothing about "at the same time". But I doubt you'd get away with that these days....I'll have to put my lawyer on that 8) But yeah..rating doesn't say much about loudness, quality etc though! And in this case it will obviously never reach 1000W continuous as the tweeter won't ever require anything close to 500W...

Hey guys thanks again for weighing in on all of this.

Last night I continued to tweak on the advice from this thread and things are starting to sound really good. I did test the QSC again on full volume while using the Axe as the master volume. I got up to about 50% and it was deafening without any crackling or clipping, so I think I'm good. Not really sure what the crackling from before was - I didn't change much in the way of gain or output on the patches.

@favance - I hear you abou tthe 1/4 inch jack, but as I said before I started using the XLRs a few nights ago and that's when I got some of the crackling. But, last night everything sounded great....it must be user error unless it's an intermittent problem. I don't think it is since I play pretty loud for a few hours last night with no issues.

They can't lie, so an amp do have to deliver what it's said to do.
If you say so... ;)

There's lying, there's misleading, there's obfuscation...and they happen all the time in equipment specs. I don't claim to know what the facts are for this particular speaker, but as you said, there's clearly no way it will achieve the 1000-watt output claimed in the literature, so I guess an amp doesn't have to deliver what it's said to do. :)

there's more than one way to 'measure' things...
manufacturer's tend to 'measure' things that show their products in the best way possible..

that said, I think that RMS measurements / ratings tend to be the most reliable

there's more than one way to 'measure' things...
manufacturer's tend to 'measure' things that show their products in the best way possible..

Exactly, that the can, and do :) One might e.g. give noise specs based on certain weightings or not, which makes a big difference to the figure itself. However, if an amp is rated 500W "continuous" it obviously has to deliver that.

Hey guys thanks again for weighing in on all of this.

Last night I continued to tweak on the advice from this thread and things are starting to sound really good. I did test the QSC again on full volume while using the Axe as the master volume. I got up to about 50% and it was deafening without any crackling or clipping, so I think I'm good. Not really sure what the crackling from before was - I didn't change much in the way of gain or output on the patches.

@favance - I hear you abou tthe 1/4 inch jack, but as I said before I started using the XLRs a few nights ago and that's when I got some of the crackling. But, last night everything sounded great....it must be user error unless it's an intermittent problem. I don't think it is since I play pretty loud for a few hours last night with no issues.

It IS an intermittent issue w/the QSCs. It will happen when you least expect it...at least it did for me. You've got the solution now.

...if an amp is rated 500W "continuous" it obviously has to deliver that.
I'm running out of ways to says this. :)

There's no "has to." Seriously. Regulations are sparse to non-existent. "Continuous" could mean anything from a couple of seconds to 48 hours (as it did in the old days, when there actually were some meaningful regulations). And it might mean "continuous RMS," "continuous peak," "continuous 'music power,'" or a bunch of other things which can multiply or divide the number by a factor of four or more. And it's common for a built-in amplifier to be rated at a certain number of watts, while the entire assembly (amps/speakers/power supply) has no hope of delivering that power.

The manufacturers hope you'll believe they have to adhere to whatever testing and reporting standards you think there are. Actually, most of them hope you won't think too hard about it, and just accept their specs at face value.

I'm running out of ways to says this. :)

There's no "has to." Seriously. Regulations are sparse to non-existent. "Continuous" could mean anything from a couple of seconds to 48 hours (as it did in the old days, when there actually were some meaningful regulations). And it might mean "continuous RMS," "continuous peak," "continuous 'music power,'" or a bunch of other things which can multiply or divide the number by a factor of four or more. And it's common for a built-in amplifier to be rated at a certain number of watts, while the entire assembly (amps/speakers/power supply) has no hope of delivering that power.

The manufacturers hope you'll believe they have to adhere to whatever testing and reporting standards you think there are. Actually, most of them hope you won't think too hard about it, and just accept their specs at face value.

So you're saying the rating "continuous" power as wattage rating has no definition? It could be continuous....banana, if they so desired? :) It's the common way to rate power output and I'm quite sure one must use sustained sine wave(s), measuring RMS voltage at the output. But yeah, it doesn't really say much when they leave out both bandwidth and THD. Likely 500 W continuous @ 1 kHz, 1% THD then!

I know the manufacturers don't have to provide specific ratings, but when they do use common (defined) ones I thought they made sure the limited info they provided were correct. With all those lawyers hanging around over there, I mean! 8) If ideed "continuous power" is not defined, then that's.....weird.

So you're saying the rating "continuous" power as wattage rating has no definition?
It has no consistent meaning for testing purposes.

It could be continuous....banana, if they so desired? :)
That's a bit of an exaggeration. The word "continuous" has no standard, measurable meaning, but it clearly refers to time, which pretty much rules out bananas. :)

It's the common way to rate power output...
It's just one common way to rate power. Common usage of a term is one thing; defining it is something different.

...and I'm quite sure one must use sustained sine wave(s)...
There is no "must do" when it comes to this stuff. If you can show where these regulations exist and who enforces them, I'll admit error here.

...measuring RMS voltage at the output.
If it doesn't say RMS, it doesn't mean RMS. "Continuous" and "RMS" don't refer to the same thing, and one term doesn't require the other term's inclusion. RMS refers to a way to average a sine wave over one cycle. At 2 KHz, that's only half a millisecond.

But yeah, it doesn't really say much when they leave out both bandwidth and THD. Likely 500 W continuous @ 1 kHz, 1% THD then!
Now you're talkin'! That's the art of manufacturers' specs: don't say much, but sound like you are saying something.

Understand the driver here. When a potential customer looks at a powered speaker, the first thing he asks is "How many watts?" Within a given price range must of those people will zero in on the highest-rated products and automatically reject the lower-rated ones. Manufacturers don't dare ignore that fact when they're writing up their specs.

If it doesn't say RMS, it doesn't mean RMS. "Continuous" and "RMS" don't refer to the same thing, and one term doesn't require the other term's inclusion. RMS refers to a way to average a sine wave over one cycle. At 2 KHz, that's only half a millisecond.

No I'm not saying they're the same, just that I believe the rating "continuous" uses sustained sine waves, measuring RMS voltage at the output. If "continuous" in this context meant....nothing ...then surely some trade/buyer/ad regulation whatever would have intervened? Watts have to be measured somewhow, and it seems unlikely that manufacturers can chose a common term/rating that has absolutely no meaning.

But deceiving and misleading? Of course they are! 8)

this is awesome...

OP - I got probs with some fizziness with my presets.. I think I need a little help guys

Forum's conclusion - The manufacterer's power ratings on amps are not consistently measured

it's kinda like
"guys.. need help.. my car won't start"

conclusion
"it's been medically proved that beans do in fact make you fart"

Hahaha! It's no problem. I don't know much about power ratings etc so I just let the conversation go by.

I think I got the answers I needed out of this thread for the issues I was having. So, thanks to everyone who responded! I would have been lost without your guys help (even tho some of the mistakes were just "idiot moments" for me).

Im still waiting to play my a show with the Axe but I'm confident I will be selling my old rig in the next month after a little more tweaking....

there's no need to have such a thing as an idiot moment

you can put it down to inexperience

and when you can no longer get away with that excuse..
you call it experimentation..

As someone who has used two K12's for over three years. Switching from tube amps and cabs is going to take a re-think of how you set up your patches. A K10 or K12 is going to be capable of far higher upper frequency ranges than a guitar amp. There may be some stuff you don't want to hear. I've built patches from scratch for a long time and its very easy to get off sounds if you don't have your tweaking chops up yet. The Axe FX incredible range and versatility means you can get it to sound super or just bad.

That said, its possible something is wrong. When I got mine over three years ago, they were fairly new on the market. I had one that just cut out for no apparent reason. The music store tested it - it happened to them, they couldn't find a loose connection or anything. QSC gave me a new K12 - both K12's have been rock solid for three years. That stuff happens in manufacturing.

@clarky - Thanks for the understanding! It is inexperience but I also have a tendency to do something "stupid" like not turn the power on and wonder why there is no sound hahaha

@scorch - Thanks for weighing in. At this point everything is sounding really good. I'm A/B ing with my tube amp and pedal setup because I love 95% of my sound already - and its just taking trial and error to get it close if not better but I'm on the right track.

The only issue (which I should probably save for a later thread) is matching some of the super lush Strymon Timeline delay sounds. I haven't spent a ton of time on that but those delays are very important to me and so far I haven't gotten exactly what I want yet out of the Axe for those. Alsp - theres an infinite repeat on the Timeline that sounds awesome and is also important so I need to figure out what to do about that. I know there is a hold feature and you can assign just about anything to control mix and feedback with an exp pedal- just havent experimented yet.

this is awesome...

OP - I got probs with some fizziness with my presets.. I think I need a little help guys

Forum's conclusion - The manufacterer's power ratings on amps are not consistently measured

it's kinda like
"guys.. need help.. my car won't start"

conclusion
"it's been medically proved that beans do in fact make you fart"

What? No digressing allowed in here? :ugeek

No I'm not saying they're the same, just that I believe the rating "continuous" uses sustained sine waves...
That's one way to test a device: feed a sine wave to its input.

...measuring RMS voltage at the output.
How else can I say it? "Continuous" does not imply an RMS measurement.

If "continuous" in this context meant....nothing ...
I'm running out of ways to say this, too. :) "Continuous" doesn't mean "nothing." It's just that the word's meaning is not consistent.

...then surely some trade/buyer/ad regulation whatever would have intervened?
Regulations don't intervene; organizations do. And lawyers cost money. What organization is going to waste money to sue a company for misuse of a word that has no consistent meaning in the first place? That's just an expensive way to lose.

...it seems unlikely that manufacturers can chose a common term/rating that has absolutely no meaning.
It doesn't have "absolutely no meaning." It has a time-based meaning that's not consistent. If you don't believe me, try this. Tell us what the "real" definition of "continuous" is. Not the definition you think it should have, but the actual, official definition. Then identify the organization that created that definition, and who is obligated to follow it.

Back
Top Bottom