OH and CK Bass IR's - When?

In the meantime, the 4x10 Bassman IR's in cab pack 10 work great for bass.
Throw on some passive EQ to fine tune things (I crank the sh*t out of the upper mids), and go to town.

Love cab pack 10 and Ill try the 4x10 bassman IRs for bass. Any official bass cabinets planned from Fractal using mic + DI?

"Soon." My pack is using the same capture method I always use which IMO sounds pretty much identical to mic+di. Or can you tell me which is which in this clip?

I'd say the first one is mic+DI because I like the idea of mic+DI and the first clip sounds the best to me because I find the low end more thumping and better sounding :)

I find that the 1st and the 3rd clips are pretty identical and both sounds good, while the 2nd clip lack in some low end and thump...also the high are not so focused.

Gotta admit after cab pack 10, mic+di is the cats meow! I wonder how my favorite IR from cab pack 7 would sound using this technique? Clark? ;)

Most likely 99% the same. ;) Cliff asked me to try mic+di out which I obviously did and I liked it. However the difference between mic+di and my method is IMO inaudible even on high gain and soloed tracks.

Here's the clip once again. One of these is mic+di and one of these is the method I use for my Cab Packs that also removes the power amp distortion with my own methods:

IMO the difference is inaudible and I do think I have pretty good ears but that's obviously subjective. I'd love to hear if you guys hear a clear difference in these clips and if so which one you prefer. :)

Most likely 99% the same. ;) Cliff asked me to try mic+di out which I obviously did and I liked it. However the difference between mic+di and my method is IMO inaudible even on high gain and soloed tracks.

Here's the clip once again. One of these is mic+di and one of these is the method I use for my Cab Packs that also removes the power amp distortion with my own methods:

IMO the difference is inaudible and I do think I have pretty good ears but that's obviously subjective. I'd love to hear if you guys hear a clear difference in these clips and if so which one you prefer. :)

Yes they do Clark. I can't tell much of any difference either.

Yes they do Clark. I can't tell much of any difference either.

That's really good to hear. :) Removing the power amp color and using a tube amp was essentially my "signature thing" back when I called it "TEH" a year back. Obviously now that there's mic+di which removes the power amp color in a different way than in my method I had to do tests to see if one of the methods is superior but luckily the results measure essentially identical EQ curves. (luckily, since I've shot 10 cab packs already with my own method :D ) There are only extremely minor differences (+-0,3dB peaks) in the low middles. The methods sound identical IMO.

As in... There are that many more cab packs to be expected from you? Man you've been busy!

Moving forward, do you plan to adopt the mic+dr method? Is it easier than your method?

Well I've been trying to keep myself busy. :) There should be two Cab Packs coming from me relatively soon. After that I have 5 packs that I'm working on so yes there's still a lot to come. And they're really good ones too. Actually I can't wait to start talking about them.

If I start shooting with the mic+di method (which will happen if Cliff thinks it's necessary) it would change many things for me. Explaining why I kind of "would prefer to do things my way" would force me to give away many of my mic technique secrets. Those secrets have a lot to do with how I find the best mic positions and what tricks I use for enhancing my hearing when placing the mics etc. Also people may not realize that I'm shooting a lot of IRs. F.ex. for the 5153 Cab Pack that'll be out soon I had over 2000 IRs. Going through them inside the DAW with a few tricks here and there like f.ex. testing how well an IR works with different EQ settings etc. becomes way too tricky and slow if I can't go through the IRs in .wav format. Still I'm sure I can work around those problems and issues if mic+di is needed but at this point I see lots of complications and no audible change in sound quality. If there was a noticeable change in sound quality I would've stopped using my method a long time ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom