• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

OGD - 1980 Strat

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Up for sale is a - what I suspect to be - a late 1980 Strat.
My first good guitar was a '78 Strat that I bought in Soho square in London when I was 16.
I always regretted selling that so every time a second hand one popped up, I started gassing again.
This one's up for sale now:
$_86.JPG

I suspect it's a late 1980 because of the pickups:
$_86.JPG

The owner says it's 100% original and mint.
The serial is S967... and is found both on the headstock and in the neck pocket:
$_86.JPG

What to do, what to do....

chucma

Fractal Fanatic
Do you have a chance to play it? I think feeling it and hearing it will help you a lot with that decision.

Andy Eagle

Power User
Yes looks good. S9 serial number ran from 79 right up to 81 but that looks totally right in what I can see of it. UK value of £2k up to £2.5k on a good day. A good long term buy but possibly not going to go up in the short term . The thing is there are not many coming up in that condition.
If you buy it you would need to keep it 100% stock or the value will drop dramatically .

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Thanks Andy.
I was hoping you'd reply 👍
If I'm going to buy it, I'll definitely keep it stock and it's also for the long term.

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Well,....
I just got it home and it seems way to good to be true....
It's A B S O L U T E L Y G O R G E O US
Not one scratch or ding...
Mint.....
Tomorrow I'm going to dissect it, restring it, set it up and plug it in........
I'm in for a sleepless night

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Being a lifelong Strat guy, imho the 80-81 strats never did it for me. Not saying they are all bad. Just didn't work for me. In 83 they started getting better. I had an 89 that was primo. Lost it though-long story.
I agree with Andy-if it feels, plays and sounds right---be nice to have. I really don't consider it a collectors Strat. But that's ust my opinion.

Here's a nice article about 80-83 Strats.

https://www.stratcollector.com/news/the-1980-1983-fender-strat/

Andy Eagle

Power User
Being a lifelong Strat guy, imho the 80-81 strats never did it for me. Not saying they are all bad. Just didn't work for me. In 83 they started getting better. I had an 89 that was primo. Lost it though-long story.
I agree with Andy-if it feels, plays and sounds right---be nice to have. I really don't consider it a collectors Strat. But that's ust my opinion.

In terms of collector potential; a forty year old mint condition 100% original Stratocaster!!! that's a rock solid safe bet. The Fender custom shop has cleverly taken quite a lot of the market for vintage Fenders by making "safe" authenticated relatively affordable vintage (style) guitars but if you don't want a replica that's a great vintage buy this is it particularly as the 50's and 60's stuff goes basically out of most peoples reach.

Andy Eagle

Power User

You didn't like the Dan Smith??

Budda

Fractal Fanatic
Congrats OP!

There was an '81 for $2100CAD that I missed out on by not having $2100CAD.

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Not real familiar with playing them at all. I just wound up prefering newer Strats-Newer for me is 89 and up. 89 to 2006 are my favs. I cannot tell you why because I am not sure myself-they just do it for me.
I bought my first Strat when I came back from Nam. Sunburst, early 70's. Lost it in a pawn shop-yes I know-dumb. I kept buying and playing Strats . Have an 89, 2006 and an Ultra 2020. I also prefer USA. Just me.

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
So you got it then?
Yes I did
I'm so glad I found this one.
I had a '77 for a while.
Strat 77.JPGClearly, the colour wasn't original.
Strat 77 (body).JPG

I swapped the scratchplate and put in a set of Quarterpounders.
Fender Stratocaster '77 - 1.jpg
But the guitar was very heavy and sounded way too trebly so I sold it eventually.
Over the years I had different strats but none did it for me until I found a mint 35th anniversary stratocaster.
35th ann strat.JPG
That one was a keeper. Played like a dream.
I did however swap the pickups.

I know not a lot of the
Not real familiar with playing them at all. I just wound up prefering newer Strats-Newer for me is 89 and up. 89 to 2006 are my favs. I cannot tell you why because I am not sure myself-they just do it for me.
I bought my first Strat when I came back from Nam. Sunburst, early 70's. Lost it in a pawn shop-yes I know-dumb. I kept buying and playing Strats . Have an 89, 2006 and an Ultra 2020. I also prefer USA. Just me.
I get this. I've also tried a lot of strats and seem to like the same - '89 and up.
Never tried a Dan Smith.
But the one I got now just felt right.
I like the feel of the neck. I also now the '70s neck can be a bit of a crap shoot but this one really feels good and there's no wear on the frets.
This guitar was owned by a collector who didn't even play guitar. The guy I bought it from didn't own it that long
And it's also a sentimental thing for selling my old '78.
Before......and after.......
Before.JPG After.JPG

Anyhoo
I'm going to set it up today and plug it in.....
Keep you posted...

Last edited:
Top Bottom