Official Welcome to Kurt Rosenwinkel!

Has anybody gotten anywhere near Kurt's slow-attack guitar tone? Not the flutey thing so much, the one that sounds like guitar with long attack time.
I'll try and work on it this weekend... but if you want to get started sooner, the objective isn't slow-attack, but rather no-attack. The first or second effect in his chain is compression. Then it goes to whatever you chose, Boss SG-1, EHX HOG, EHX POG2, EHX Attack Decay, volume block (w/ADSR modifier), and you shave off only the pick attack, nothing else. That then goes into another compressor whose purpose is to slam the guitar's sound back to the beginning of where you picked the note so it doesn't sound like you're always behind the beat. Refer to post #18 in this thread to get a sense of all this.
Kurt's intention is to remove the percussive sound of the pick attack so that it doesn't interfere (at least in the jazz context) with the drummer.
Have fun!

That then goes into another compressor whose purpose is to slam the guitar's sound back to the beginning of where you picked the note so it doesn't sound like you're always behind the beat.
Wait — you're saying that the second compressor sends the guitar's sound backwards in time to fill in a gap that's already history?

Yes, that's the Fractal part of Fractal Audio! But seriously, it's not time travel, but volume travel: the compressor makes up the volume.
Pictures are always helpful! Instead of the note sounding like it's coming in at 2 because of the swell, it is pulled back towards 1 via the compressor.

Attack.png
Disclaimer for the pedants: not to scale, not the right tapers for pick attack, swell effect or compression, fictional time scale. Simply a diagram.

Yes, that's the Fractal part of Fractal Audio! But seriously, it's not time travel, but volume travel: the compressor makes up the volume.
Pictures are always helpful! Instead of the note sounding like it's coming in at 2 because of the swell, it is pulled back towards 1 via the compressor.

View attachment 75571
Disclaimer for the pedants: not to scale, not the right tapers for pick attack, swell effect or compression, fictional time scale. Simply a diagram.
Understood. Thanks.

Got a clip and/or a preset? If this strategy works, I'd like to hear it.
I just realised that you're the one who posted the original request, so you know who Kurt is!
What I am describing is not a strategy, it is what Kurt does with the AxeFX and POG2. It is an explanation on how he achieves his sound. I thought the challenge was in replicating his sound without the POG2.

I just realised that you're the one who posted the original request, so you know who Kurt is!
What I am describing is not a strategy, it is what Kurt does with the AxeFX and POG2. It is an explanation on how he achieves his sound. I thought the challenge was in replicating his sound without the POG2.
Well as someone who'd rather do everything in the Axe, for me that IS the challenge :)

I'll try and work on it this weekend... but if you want to get started sooner, the objective isn't slow-attack, but rather no-attack. The first or second effect in his chain is compression. Then it goes to whatever you chose, Boss SG-1, EHX HOG, EHX POG2, EHX Attack Decay, volume block (w/ADSR modifier), and you shave off only the pick attack, nothing else. That then goes into another compressor whose purpose is to slam the guitar's sound back to the beginning of where you picked the note so it doesn't sound like you're always behind the beat.
@Entasis - did you get anywhere with this? I'm curious to hear what you come up with...

Right, we're on the same page. If you have a POG2 it's relatively easy, if you don't then you can get at an approximation using the volume block with an ADSR, but it won't be polyphonic.
In the meantime, here's my attempt at the OC-3: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/patch-for-octave-down-on-low-notes-only.167366/#post-2011147
If you have any improvements, please share!
This is really Great!! It's actually better than the OC-3 because you can also filter out the lower notes on the main guitar channel. I always hated the octave in the low end when using the OC-3. Thanks so much for making this!!

Right, we're on the same page. If you have a POG2 it's relatively easy, if you don't then you can get at an approximation using the volume block with an ADSR, but it won't be polyphonic.
In the meantime, here's my attempt at the OC-3: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/patch-for-octave-down-on-low-notes-only.167366/#post-2011147
If you have any improvements, please share!

i have a pog2...how would i go about setting up a patch with it in the loop and you say it uses 2 compressors? thanks

Back
Top Bottom