Official statement bout AX8 updates needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think the expression pedal implementation was poorly done in the AX8, that's my only gripe with the box. Professionally it's unusable because it lags and the averaging algorithm wasn't done correctly. BUT I have solved the problem by abandoning expression pedals and putting a 95Q in front of my AX8, so if I never see another update I don't really care.
I've never seen anyone else with these complaints.

The pedals (and all modifiers) can get laggy if the CPU load is too high. Also, make sure the Damping value on the modifier is turned down.

What do you mean by "averaging algorithm"?

I've never seen anyone else with these complaints.

The pedals (and all modifiers) can get laggy if the CPU load is too high. Also, make sure the Damping value on the modifier is turned down.

What do you mean by "averaging algorithm"?

I've created a thread about it some time ago and some people reported they had similar problems. By "averaging algorithm" I mean the algorithm that takes samples of the exp values and averages them so sudden jumps in value because of potentiometer dead spots are better handled. My exp pedal, even with "reset upon change" (or whatever the parameter is called) enabled, kept autoengaging the wah pedal at random, especially during gigs (of course). So, unreliable, period.

"Oh but my $200 mission control works fine". Good for you, I need it to work with a pedal that wasn't designed and built up to military specs for NASA.

Also I don't want to turn this into an endless argument, just wanted to point that out because I'm a very grumpy programmer/hacker and I CAN TELL WHEN I SEE A POOR PROGRAMMING JOB. Mind you, I'm talking very specifically about the expression pedal section, as far as DSP programming I think Cliff is a freakin' genius and that's why the AX8 isn't going anywhere.

And like I've said, I have found an acceptable workaround so I don't really give two f's whether or not this gets fixed.

"Oh but my $200 mission control works fine". Good for you, I need it to work with a pedal that wasn't designed and built up to military specs for NASA.

Also I don't want to turn this into an endless argument, just wanted to point that out because I'm a very grumpy programmer/hacker and I CAN TELL WHEN I SEE A POOR PROGRAMMING JOB.

I don't want to start a big debate here, but I feel like you are faulting Fractal because they don't have some "magic" to deal with an inferior expression pedal.

There's really nothing special with Mission pedals... It's a 10k pot and a TRS jack and 3 wires.

Anyway, you've got a solution that works for you, so that's good.

I think it's perfectly reasonable that people would like to know whether 10.01 is the last firmware, or if the known and confirmed bugs will get fixed, or if there might be a new firmware closing the gap to the FM3.

I would feel quite bad if I sold my AX8 to get an FM3, and then the AX8 got an update that allowed to run full Ares, and had a footswitch page feature, and had nameable footswitch blocks.

Personally, I have ruled out any chance of the latter option.

A word from fractal would also influence my decision of buying the FM3. I do feel like the AX8 users have been left in the dark regarding firmware updates. The latest firmware has a few bugs that I think FAS would have fixed immediately on AxeFXII. Some might say that the main AX8-FW guy left the company. But that is really not my problem.

It would be really nice to know whether FM3 will receive the same quality of support that AxeFX II/III have gotten, or it will be on AX8/FX8 level.

I think it's perfectly reasonable that people would like to know whether 10.01 is the last firmware, or if the known and confirmed bugs will get fixed, or if there might be a new firmware closing the gap to the FM3.

I would feel quite bad if I sold my AX8 to get an FM3, and then the AX8 got an update that allowed to run full Ares, and had a footswitch page feature, and had nameable footswitch blocks.

Personally, I have ruled out any chance of the latter option.

A word from fractal would also influence my decision of buying the FM3. I do feel like the AX8 users have been left in the dark regarding firmware updates. The latest firmware has a few bugs that I think FAS would have fixed immediately on AxeFXII. Some might say that the main AX8-FW guy left the company. But that is really not my problem.

It would be really nice to know whether FM3 will receive the same quality of support that AxeFX II/III have gotten, or it will be on AX8/FX8 level.

I completely agree with you. As you know I expressed, or try to express, more or less the same in another topic. I'm on the waitlist for the FM3 but I don't think I'll be finally buying it because I feel the level of support is vastly different from the rack units to the floor units. We don't ever deserve a few words from the company to say "sorry but it's done" it seems.

I too am on the waitlist for the FM3, but have questions if the AX8 will be getting some changes. If the gap closes between the AX8 and FM3, I'm not sure I will take the plunge on the FM3. I want to see how guys are using the FM3 in a live setting. I just can't vision how the three switches will be enough for me in a gig?? Sorry, wrong thread!

This ax8 drama is getting a little out of hand. What is the point in making a thread like this? The entitlement of some people is sickening.
There is no drama. AX8 is great and I personally do not plan to replace it in near future. At least if there will be FM6 or FM8 announced. FM3 is not suitable for my live needs and I don't want to carry FM3+FC6.
But an official statement about product line will be highly appreciated. Considering that there is still a very pour pitch block in AX8 (this was corrected in AxeFXII) and some minor bugs in the latest firmware.

I've created a thread about it some time ago and some people reported they had similar problems. By "averaging algorithm" I mean the algorithm that takes samples of the exp values and averages them so sudden jumps in value because of potentiometer dead spots are better handled. My exp pedal, even with "reset upon change" (or whatever the parameter is called) enabled, kept autoengaging the wah pedal at random, especially during gigs (of course). So, unreliable, period.

Also I don't want to turn this into an endless argument, just wanted to point that out because I'm a very grumpy programmer/hacker and I CAN TELL WHEN I SEE A POOR PROGRAMMING JOB. Mind you, I'm talking very specifically about the expression pedal section, as far as DSP programming I think Cliff is a freakin' genius and that's why the AX8 isn't going anywhere.

And like I've said, I have found an acceptable workaround so I don't really give two f's whether or not this gets fixed.

If your a programmer/hacker then you should be able to easily buy a linear 10Ok pot from Mouser or similar for about $5.99 and swap it out with any cheap wah, Ernie ball volume pedal etc, and wore it to a TRS Jack. Takes about 5 minutes or less and it works perfectly...

Or just buy any of the countless expression pedals on the market, you can find them for like $29 or less

Silly argument

First off, I'd like to repeat something that's been said often enough: even as the pace of updates changes, the AX8 will remain a great product. It sounds fantastic, works reliably, and fills a unique niche both in our product portfolio and in the overall world of gear. It enjoyed updates at a rapid pace, keeping up to the extent possible with its contemporaries in terms of amp modeling and effects, plus it received many many "wish list" fulfillments as well as small tweaks designed to satisfy a few very happy fans. It remains an important piece of gear in the touring world, and we will continue to do all we can to support it. I think all of the above exemplifies the philosophy of Fractal Audio Systems to provide a high level of excellence -- through commitment as well as innovation -- in an industry that is generally "hit and run".

As we all know, things change. One of the reasons that the Axe-Fx III and FM3 were created is that the older products reached a point where future updates must be limited. While it isn't impossible that there could be an additional update (or updates) for the AX8, it is very much less likely. These would occur simply because a "right opportunity" presents itself to our engineers. Like all older products, however, AX8 is limited by its onboard resources (DSP, memory, etc.), by the increased complexity of implementing new ideas on an older platform, and by the fact that we as a small company must dedicate efforts not only towards our deeply rooted passion for extending value, but also towards advancement it in a quickly changing environment.

Again, you're not reading anything new here, but I understand and wanted to address the intense feelings that drive the use of a words like "update needed". To answer another question above: yes, the FM3 is about to have its time in the sun, with a long-lasting cycle of rapid updates I'd expect to be more similar to those for Axe-Fx III. Then, someday, in the digital distant future, it too will bask in the glory of of all it has become and step back to stand behind some new young champion, as is the way with all things.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to innovate.

First off, I'd like to repeat something that's been said often enough: even as the pace of updates changes, the AX8 will remain a great product. It sounds fantastic, works reliably, and fills a unique niche both in our product portfolio and in the overall world of gear. It enjoyed updates at a rapid pace, keeping up to the extent possible with its contemporaries in terms of amp modeling and effects, plus it received many many "wish list" fulfillments as well as small tweaks designed to satisfy a few very happy fans. It remains an important piece of gear in the touring world, and we will continue to do all we can to support it. I think all of the above exemplifies the philosophy of Fractal Audio Systems to provide a high level of excellence -- through commitment as well as innovation -- in an industry that is generally "hit and run".

As we all know, things change. One of the reasons that the Axe-Fx III and FM3 were created is that the older products reached a point where future updates must be limited. While it isn't impossible that there could be an additional update (or updates) for the AX8, it is very much less likely. These would occur simply because a "right opportunity" presents itself to our engineers. Like all older products, however, AX8 is limited by its onboard resources (DSP, memory, etc.), by the increased complexity of implementing new ideas on an older platform, and by the fact that we as a small company must dedicate efforts not only towards our deeply rooted passion for extending value, but also towards advancement it in a quickly changing environment.

Again, you're not reading anything new here, but I understand and wanted to address the intense feelings that drive the use of a words like "update needed". To answer another question above: yes, the FM3 is about to have its time in the sun, with a long-lasting cycle of rapid updates I'd expect to be more similar to those for Axe-Fx III. Then, someday, in the digital distant future, it too will bask in the glory of of all it has become and step back to stand behind some new young champion, as is the way with all things.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to innovate.
Thanks M@, professionally and politely worded.

No need to read between the lines unless the answer isn't what you wanted. Plain enough, the AX8 is going to continue to be supported but its platform has reached the point where new updates are "very much less likely". I still don't get why everyone's so up-in-arms about needing an update. I've been running FW 10.01 since it was released last September and guess what? It still sounds great!! The AX8 won't gradually sound worse and worse without another update.

My take, the epiphany of, or breakthrough with Ares modeling came much faster than any previous modeling technology which has made the AX8's "run" relatively short. That's the nature of the beast in consumer electronics. One week you see the "best ever" phone or device launched, the next day it's successor is announced.

This is a great time to be a guitar player. Personally, I had always wanted to try a Fractal Axe-Fx but 10 years ago it felt that you almost had to mortgage the house just to get one. With the AX8, there was finally an option for the "budget-minded" player and I'm forever grateful to Fractal for providing such an opportunity to experience the best, most consistent tones available with customer service and commitment to their products that is in another league compared to their competitors.

Finally, just because you weren't on the Firmware Update Train doesn't mean it didn't happen. Sorry you weren't there for the ride but as @Admin M@ stated, the AX8 received many updates and wish list items in the relatively short time it had been in production.

"While it isn't impossible that there could be an additional update (or updates) for the AX8, it is very much less likely."
There's the answer...So enjoy the AX8 as is and look into the future of the FM3...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom