Office/Studio Chairs

Dolan

Inspired
Finally getting around to setting up a "studio" in my home and I'm curious what brand/kind of chairs some of you guys may be using. Especially anyone here who has back issues as I had a lumbar spine fusion a few months ago.

Respawn Gaming Chair
imageService

The one I'm actually running is a bit different but you get the idea.

I posted in another thread, but I got a Roc-n-Soc drum throne, the hydraulic one, and put some casters on it. I use it all day for work, any time I'm at my computer later, and anytime I play. I have none of the back issues I had when I had a standard office chair that tilts you back in the seat.

Seriously though, you'll want an armless chair. Herman Miller Aeron's are super comfy and should have removable arms. $750 at an office furniture reseller. Great lumbar support.

a rock-n-soc drum throne with back attachment could work too. They don't roll by default but you can prob add casters. Not as good of lumbar support but at least has a back.

Spent all kinds of money on chairs over the years. I do have my share of back problems having screwed it up pretty-bad when I was a kid, but it seems that each person's back issues present a unique set of issues for an individual, so what works for me might not work for you.

Ironically, The chair I can sit in for hours at a time and am most comfortable in - the chair I swiped to stick in my music room because it is my favorite chair - is a $50.00 cheapo mid-back Amazon-type office chair which I never attached the arms to. I like it because I can actually move around and flex my back while sitting in it, whereas some of the bigger, fancier chairs - like the ones I have at work, hold me to a position and don't allow me to arch and flex my back to different degrees.

The big thing for me is my ass.. Okay, that might have been mis-put. But, many of these chairs, after a while, the memory foam will compress and you are sitting on the equivalent of a board. But this little cheapo chair doesn't bother me like that either. Could also be that I can move around on it and not be fixed to a position where """"flat ass"""" becomes a very-real and uncomfortable thing. :0)

..One you can kinda check for. If you like to move around a-lot, and this solves some back issues for you, then a chair with backrest that doesn't reach your ears might be for you. Whether or not flat ass is gonna be an issue though, only time will tell :0)

either way.. removable arms.. removable chair arms that is. :0)

Best of luck finding what you need.

edit: ..might go without saying, but I also use an adjustable foot-rest. That might be helping, as well.

Last edited:
The key thing to look for in a chair with regard to the arms is to not pick one where the arms form the structure holding the back of the chair on. Find one with flip-up arm rests - best of both worlds.

Respawn reclining office chair. It met my expectations both in quality and comfort, good price and the order arrived long before I expected it, I highly recommend it.

Seriously though, you'll want an armless chair. Herman Miller Aeron's are super comfy and should have removable arms. $750 at an office furniture reseller. Great lumbar support.

a rock-n-soc drum throne with back attachment could work too. They don't roll by default but you can prob add casters. Not as good of lumbar support but at least has a back.
I have two of them, both are over 16 yo, they still as comfortable as they were when I first got them. I'm very happy with the Herman Miller office furniture in general they make quality office furniture.

I would strongly advise against generic "Gaming" chairs. Those hurt your back more than they help. You will find a lot of detailed discussion on the topic on e.g. YouTube.
If you want something good for your back, you need a chair that can be adjusted in various parameters. Search for general ergonomic sitting advice and measure all relevant lengths (ideal sitting height, thigh length, shoulder height (in sitting position)). Then search for a chair that lets you dial in these exact settings and which also has adjustable lumbar support and arm rests.
Also desk height is really important and goes hand in hand with a good chair.

...Aerons are also excellent , as mentioned above, and I always recommend a hydraulic desk, the option to sit or stand while manipulating gear is priceless.

Spent all kinds of money on chairs over the years. I do have my share of back problems having screwed it up pretty-bad when I was a kid, but it seems that each person's back issues present a unique set of issues for an individual, so what works for me might not work for you.

Ironically, The chair I can sit in for hours at a time and am most comfortable in - the chair I swiped to stick in my music room because it is my favorite chair - is a $50.00 cheapo mid-back Amazon-type office chair which I never attached the arms to. I like it because I can actually move around and flex my back while sitting in it, whereas some of the bigger, fancier chairs - like the ones I have at work, hold me to a position and don't allow me to arch and flex my back to different degrees.

The big thing for me is my ass.. Okay, that might have been mis-put. But, many of these chairs, after a while, the memory foam will compress and you are sitting on the equivalent of a board. But this little cheapo chair doesn't bother me like that either. Could also be that I can move around on it and not be fixed to a position where """"flat ass"""" becomes a very-real and uncomfortable thing. :0)

..One you can kinda check for. If you like to move around a-lot, and this solves some back issues for you, then a chair with backrest that doesn't reach your ears might be for you. Whether or not flat ass is gonna be an issue though, only time will tell :0)

either way.. removable arms.. removable chair arms that is. :0)

Best of luck finding what you need here.

edit: ..might go without saying, but I also use an adjustable foot-rest. That might be helping, as well.

As they say, just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good. Personally, I prefer to sit half-lying. And these office chairs for directors, unfortunately, do not have such a function...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom